• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elminster

Azazu

First Post
I have just started reading a book about Elminster by Ed Greenwood. I do not play Fearun and do not have any of the Fearun books. I have heard that his character write up is in one of the books. I was wondering something. I know that his stat block cannot be posted and i am not asking for it to be but i would like to know his character levels. I was thinking Fighter x/Rogue x/Wizardxx

thanks

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
maybeso said:
the ELH says fighter 1/rogue 2/ cleric 3 /wizard 24 /archmage 5
also Chosen of Mystra.
*nods* I.e., CR 39. :p

Oh, and moved to General Discussion.

Last edited:

Azazu

First Post
thanks guys.

i knew i came to the right place
(sort of should have been in General (thanks Darkness))

later

Angcuru

First Post
Geez, I so DO NOT like elminster. How the heck did he get so high level with all those multiclassing penalties, anyway? Sheesh.:rolleyes: And of course he's a chosen of Mystra, he's a pet NPC....who happens to no longer be around in MY Faerun, mind you it is Faerun, not Fearun. Does Ed ever explain how Elminster can have lived the 1,000 years he has supposedly lived? It would explain his levels, what with the XP penalties :p, but the age would need an explanation.

I also hate how all the pet(I.E. really powerful) NPCs who have worked their way into the Forgotten Realms are written to have a constant interest in invovling themselves in the affairs of the Realms, which is the job of the PCs!. It's a good thing my campaign begins in 1551, Dalereckoning, so most of them NPCs are long gone, Elminster included. Nyah.:p

Last edited:

Dark Jezter

First Post
Angcuru said:
Geez, I so DO NOT like elminster. How the heck did he get so high level with all those multiclassing penalties, anyway? Sheesh.:rolleyes: And of course he's a chosen of Mystra, he's a pet NPC....who happens to no longer be around in MY Faerun, mind you it is Faerun, not Fearun. Does Ed ever explain how Elminster can have lived the 1,000 years he has supposedly lived? It would explain his levels, what with the XP penalties :p, but the age would need an explanation.

Chosen of Mystra don't die of old age.

jasamcarl

First Post
Angcuru said:

I also hate how all the pet(I.E. really powerful) NPCs who have worked their way into the Forgotten Realms are written to have a constant interest in invovling themselves in the affairs of the Realms, which is the job of the PCs!. It's a good thing my campaign begins in 1551, Dalereckoning, so most of them NPCs are long gone, Elminster included. Nyah.:p

He would only have one xp penalty for the cleric-fighter. As a human, the wizard level doesn't count.

Angcuru

First Post
Dark Jezter said:
Chosen of Mystra don't die of old age.
Well that's just great. Time to call in the epic-level hit squad.
jasamcarl said:
He would only have one xp penalty for the cleric-fighter. As a human, the wizard level doesn't count.
Don't forget the rogue. That makes it two.

Darkness

Hand and Eye of Piratecat [Moderator]
Angcuru said:
Time to call in the epic-level hit squad.
That's kinda the premise of my latest D&D campaign, actually... :D

That is, the PCs are all shades with 15 levels in classes (or anything else that costs 19 levels in total) and are out to restore to reconquer Faerun for the glory of the shades - one dreadful munchkin pet NPC at a time. ;)
Don't forget the rogue. That makes it two.
Not quite...

He's a: human fighter 1/rogue 2/ cleric 3 /wizard 24 /archmage 5

Step-by-step:

archmage, as a prestige class, doesn't count.

Humans have favored multiclass: any (i.e., whichever class is their highest), so wizard is dropped, too.

Which leaves fighter 1/rogue 2/cleric 3. And you only count classes that are apart by more than 1 level.
Ftr and Rog are apart by 1 level.
And Rog and Clr are, too.
Only Ftr and Clr are apart by more than 1 level (level 3 vs. level 1 = a difference of 2 levels). Therefore: -20% xp penalty. :)

Drizzt has it worse, though. :p (He's what - a drow Ftr10/Rgr5/Bbn1? Not sure about his exact Rgr level, but in any case, he has a -40% xp penalty. :D)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads