Elmore Art Found at Goodwill

Negflar2099

Explorer
Hi everyone. I have maybe a weird question. A few years ago my wife found a bunch of paintings at Goodwill of old D&D art. Of course I told her to snatch them all up as quickly as she could. We've had them for a number of years now, but we've always been curious about them. They look like original Larry Elmore art on canvas (not a reprint) but they aren't signed by him. Instead they look like they're signed by Little Sam or Little something anyway. I think they're probably someone who reproduced the Elmore art but if so they did an amazing job because they look just like the Elmore paintings. The Death of Sturm one looks absolutely spot on. They're also all in beautiful frames.

Like I said I'm almost 100% sure they're recreations by another artist but still I'm curious. Has anyone heard of anything like this?

Negflar2099

Explorer
Here you are.

Attachments

• elmore1.jpg
    elmore1.jpg
    1.5 MB · Views: 140
  • elmore2.jpg
    elmore2.jpg
    2.6 MB · Views: 141
  • elmore3.jpg
    elmore3.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 158

Here you are.

Fascinating - technically, that's Elmore, Caldwell, and Parkinson respectively that's being emulated. All I can think of is when I was a teenager in my first band, how important covers were to learning how to make music. I would assume the same goes for art. Alternately, in pre-internet days, it wasn't so easy to get prints of these pieces, barring the ads for them that ran in Dragon magazine, so maybe someone figured they'd just make their own?

Mad_Jack

Legend
Fascinating - technically, that's Elmore, Caldwell, and Parkinson respectively that's being emulated. All I can think of is when I was a teenager in my first band, how important covers were to learning how to make music. I would assume the same goes for art. Alternately, in pre-internet days, it wasn't so easy to get prints of these pieces, barring the ads for them that ran in Dragon magazine, so maybe someone figured they'd just make their own?

Pretty much anyone who's gone to school for art will eventually try to reproduce the works of the masters at some point - it's a great way to help you master the techniques that they used. In fact, some of the old masters themselves used to teach their students by having the students copy their work...

Remove ads