D&D 1E Monster Manual II interior art

There are only four interior artists credited for the 1983 Montreal Manual II: Jim Holloway, Harry Quinn, Dave Sutherland and Larry Elmore. I'd like to figure out which artist drew which pieces.

Quinn and Sutherland both signed each of their pieces, which provides the following:

Quinn: bee (giant), beetle (death watch), boalisk, bodak, boggart, boobrie, cat, catfish (giant), centipede, cheetah, cooshee, crane (giant), cyclopskin, dao, death (crimson), demilich, demon (alu-demon), demon (babau), demon (chasme), devil (spined), diakk, dragon (shadow), froghemoth, grue (chaggrin), grue (harginn), grue (ildriss), kech, para-elemental (smoke), quasi-elemental lightning, squealer.

Sutherland: lycanthrope (foxwoman), mantrap, modron (pentadrone), modron (Octon), modron (Septon), modron (Hexton), modron (Quinton), modron (Secundus), modron (Primus), muckdweller, pedipalp, quickling, rat, slime creature, swanmay, thessalhydra.

Unfortunately that leaves the great majority of the pieces as either Holloway or Elmore, who did not sign them. There are a number of illustrations which are pretty obviously Holloway to my eye, but there are a lot that could be either especially since Elmore's line art is far less well-known than his colour paintings.

Anyone have any insight into which pieces were Holloway and which Elmore?

Voadam

Legend
That is tough. A lot looks distinctly Holloway but Elmore has a bit of a similar look. Check out the Snarfquest stuff for more black and white examples of Elmore.

Looking at the ones with people is easier to tell the stylistic differences in a number, the giant bee attacking a guy is an Elmore. The Bowler is Holloway. Cave Fisher is Holloway. The Nereid is Holloway. The Solar is Holloway. I think the Spriggan is not Holloway. The Wemic looks Holloway to me.

The vast majority look Holloway to me.

Last edited:

ilgatto

How inconvenient
(...) Check out the Snarfquest stuff for more black and white examples of Elmore. (...)
Excellent tip!

Never realized that Elmore contributed to the artwork in MM2. Drat, now I’m gonna have to know what's what. Interesting.

At first glance, I’d say the following are Elmore:

Cat lord first pic on left of page 22
River (Styx?) on page 29
Maybe the ultrodaemon and yagnodaemon on p. 31 (compare rocks to those of Holloway’s, say, dretches, on p. 38)
Nothosaurus on p. 53
Pterosaur, Giant on p. 54

P.S.: Please, please, please don't let this thread lead to the conclusion that Glasya isn't Holloway after all.

EDIT: Sorry, missed your giant bee. Looks like Elmore to me, too, for the same reason.

Last edited:

Voadam

Legend
The cat lord one I would say is not Holloway, possibly Elmore. It is very like the signed Quinn one.

Page 29 I think of as a chasm and not a river.

The Daemons and the dinosaurs look Holloway to me.

I think Glasya looks very Holloway.

ilgatto

How inconvenient
Well, daemon- and dinosaur-wise I've always thought so too, until @Fifth Element pointed out that Elmore contributed to MM2 and I had a quick look through the artwork therein, and now a second.

And looking at the terrains (grass, trees, see pic) for Mamenchisaurus, Nothosaurus, and certainly the giant pterosaur (with unmistakably Elmore mountainscape IMHO), I’d say that they are very reminiscent of Elmore’s terrains. The same goes for the rocks of Nothosaurus, ultrodaemon, yagnodaemon, and River Styx/chasm, although the ultrodaemon itself, at least, definitely looks like Holloway. Not so sure about the yagnodaemon, though, that might well be Elmore.
snfq.jpg

And Glasya looks rather Holloway to me, too.

EDIT: Accidentally reffed to Reynard instead of Fifth Element. Mille excuses.

Last edited:

And looking at the terrains (grass, trees, see pic) for Mamenchisaurus, Nothosaurus, and certainly the giant pterosaur (with unmistakably Elmore mountainscape IMHO), I’d say that they are very reminiscent of Elmore’s terrains.
Now that's some good thinking.

Not much help, but I know I've seen a post somewhere in the OSR blogosphere that had an exhaustive list of both art and creator credits for the MM/FF/etc. listings. That was years ago though, I've long since forgotten the name of the blog (it was one of those linked from a link from a link on something I did read regularly dealies), and it's eluding my current-day search skills. Someone out there did the work on this topic already years ago, but whether it's still up or archived somewhere I can't say.

Not much help, but I know I've seen a post somewhere in the OSR blogosphere that had an exhaustive list of both art and creator credits for the MM/FF/etc. listings. That was years ago though, I've long since forgotten the name of the blog (it was one of those linked from a link from a link on something I did read regularly dealies), and it's eluding my current-day search skills. Someone out there did the work on this topic already years ago, but whether it's still up or archived somewhere I can't say.
I did some searching for this sort of thing before posting but wasn't able to find anything. If someone can find the post you're talking about it would be fantastic.

Another thing to consider comes from the "Eye of the Beholder" documentary about D&D art. At one point they mention that the art for a monster book, and I think they were talking MMII specifically, was essentially done in tranches, where an artist would get an assignment for doing a handful of consecutive monsters (alphabetically) at a time. That does seem to be largely borne out by the illustrations we can identify as Quinn and Sutherland by their signatures. So if you're able to pick out an Elmore illustration it makes it more likely that the illustrations immediately before and after it are also Elmore.

Remove ads