D&D 1E Where are they Now? - 1E Monster Manual II

IanB

First Post
I am reasonably sure the "lesser cyclops" in DDG is actually a conversion of the lesser cyclops in one of the old DDGs, not the cyclopskin.

Echohawk

Shirokinukatsukami fan
Yeah. D&D seems to have three varieties of cyclops: greater (15 HD), lesser (13 HD) and cyclopskin (5 HD). In the Monstrous Manual and Shining South, the lesser cyclops is just called a cyclops. The cyclopskin hasn't been officially updated yet.

Gothenem

Explorer
Thri-kreen are also in the XPH, Mist Dragon is in Dragons of Faerûn.

Dracolisk was done as a half-black dragon basilisk in the Draconomicon web-enhancement. (And yes, it did say Dracolisk).

Amon, Duke of Hell is in the Book of Vile Darkness Web Enhancement (under the Servants of Geryon)

Spider, Giant Marine was technically adressed in Stormwrack, in the Aquatic animals section.

IIRC, Dragon Horse was done in Dragon Magic.

Also, I keep thinking I have seen the Gloomwing somewhere .. Monsters of Faerûn??

Shade

Monster Junkie
Gothenem said:
Thri-kreen are also in the XPH, Mist Dragon is in Dragons of Faerûn.

I'll add those. Thanks.

Gothenem said:
Dracolisk was done as a half-black dragon basilisk in the Draconomicon web-enhancement. (And yes, it did say Dracolisk).

D'oh! I completely forgot about that. I remember being really thrilled at the time.

Gothenem said:
Amon, Duke of Hell is in the Book of Vile Darkness Web Enhancement (under the Servants of Geryon)

I'll fix that, too.

Gothenem said:
Spider, Giant Marine was technically adressed in Stormwrack, in the Aquatic animals section.

I'll note it.

Gothenem said:
IIRC, Dragon Horse was done in Dragon Magic.

Nope. There's somthing called a Drakkensteed which is a cross between dragons and horses, but the dragon horse was actually a relative of the ki-rin.

Gothenem said:
Also, I keep thinking I have seen the Gloomwing somewhere .. Monsters of Faerûn??

I've not seen it in any WotC products to date. I double-checked Monsters of Faerûn, and it's not in there.

Wolf72

Explorer
dragonnel is the Draconomicon

although it is a horrible rewrite ... horrible I say!!!

I prefer the The Tome of Horrors version. My solution is take the the stats from the Draconomicon and the fluff/ideas from the 1e MM2

Shroomy

Adventurer
The foo dog and foo lion are featured in Oriental Adventures as a Celestial Dire Wolf and Celestial Dire Lion respectively.

RavinRay

Explorer
The dragonnel is yet another case of "same name, different monster", just like the 2e rust dragon was an insectile dragonlike creature from Acheron and the 3e rust dragon is a true dragon from Acheron. I haven't seen a pterosaur-dragon hybrid like the 2e dragonnel in the 3e game.

Remove ads