• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elven

MensurB

First Post
Hi

I have been looking everywhere for spells translated into elven. I know there are sites out there that teach you elven, but I am only looking for words like "Fireball" and all the other spells. At first I looked for Draconic, but I did not find anything about that language either. Thank you for your help.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
Well, of course you owuldn't find anything about Draconic. It's a fiction found only in the rulebooks. It doesn't exist elsewhere.

There are sites that work with Tolkien Elvish, yes. I don't kow of anyone translating D&D spall names into that tongue. I don't think it'd add that much verisimilitude.

MensurB

First Post
I think it would be really cool to pronounce your spells in a different language, especially a fantasy language. Maybe it's just me. :D
Also, the other players will not know what the hell you're going to do next, I like to keep my sorcerer secretive. Again, maybe it's just me.

Umbran

Mod Squad
Staff member
Supporter
MensurB said:
Also, the other players will not know what the hell you're going to do next, I like to keep my sorcerer secretive. Again, maybe it's just me.

Other players? You mean your teammates, the ones you're supposed to cooperate with? Yeah, keeping secrets from those with whom you share dependance of life and limb can be fun.... right up until something goes wrong because you were having fun being secretive when the rest of the party needed to know what you were up to to make sound tactical decisions. It's all fun and games until somebody loses an eye :)

Really, other players are not likely to appreciate secrets like that.

Your DM is probably not going to appreciate it either. I mean, now every time you tell him what you're going to cast, he's got to refer to some other list to figure out what you're talking about? That'll make him happy... :)

Kai Lord

Hero
MensurB said:
Well then a good place to start would be to not shout the name of the spell you're casting -- in any language.

Queenie

Queen of Everything
not spells but...

I know you are looking for spells and I can't really help you there but..

Dragon magazine had an issue on elves that had the translation of all kinds of words into elven. Maybe that would help you? For example, maybe the word fire is there and you can use that for fireball.

As a side note, I don't think fooling your fellow party members is a good idea. You need them to trust you and you don't want them ducking every single time you start uttering words in elven (when you might actually be trying to help them).

I do think it's cool it use elven words when casting a spell. Makes the whole process of casting a spell more realistic.

MensurB

First Post
Chill guys

I am not really tyring to fool the party. Anyways, we all do that in our groop. We have a dwarven wizzard who speaks his spells in german, and after he says it a couple of times we all learn what spell he will cast anyways. "Feuerball flieg"..............

LoneWolf23

First Post
According to the Elven Lexicon in Dragon #279, the Elven word for Fire is Maskan. Doesn't have an Elven translation for Ball, though.

Allow me to invent a new Elven word, then: Daku, Sphere, n-item. Any spherical object or effect can be called Daku.

One Fireball would thus be Enna Maskandaku (Enna being Elven for One.)

Hope that helps.

Deedlit

First Post
As for draconic, some writing in the language has appeared in record of lodoss war, and I think some of Narse's and Shooting Star's growls were in that tounge.

Remove ads