• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Elves and fluff, which elf do you prefer?

Which type of elves (fluff) do you prefer?

• Tolkien elves

Votes: 150 30.9%
  • Celtic Sidhe elves

Votes: 123 25.3%
  • DnD Sylvan elves

Votes: 111 22.8%
  • Other

Votes: 102 21.0%

Tequila Sunrise

Adventurer
The sidhe, all the way. Mostly because the spelling of the name has no bearing on its pronunciation, but also because the sidhe are the least human-like and most fantastic of all elves.

Aus_Snow

First Post
Yttrai said:
Other: Sithi, as per Tad Williams' Memory Thorn and Sorrow.
Pretty much Sidhe, then. Different spelling is the bulk of the difference there.

My own preference would be for Poul Anderson's version.

Odhanan

Adventurer
I do not agree with the definitions of the elves you give in the OP, Turanil. I voted "Tolkien Elves" since they are really the ones I love, along with the Gloranthan, plant-people elves, but I truly do not recognize your qualifications of elves here.

Mark Oliva

First Post
I prefer elves that are between the Tolkien and Lord Dunsany (King of Elfland's Daughter) versions. An older, higher race that has vanished into elusive lands that are difficult to enter and difficult to leave (a la Dunsany) but also were the greatest post-creator race, one that in ancient times did much to shape the world. Such elves would be rather alien creatures in the human world.

Wyrm Pilot

First Post
Other: Cerilean elves, somewhere in-between the core D&D elf and the sidhe & alfar of European myth. They don't have religion or lifespans, and they hate humans & like dwarves.

Cheers,
Wyrm Pilot

Remove ads