• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Elves & Eladrin Beware, Thri-Kreen are Hunting in 4e

wherwrthal

First Post
Hi, again.
Maximus and I have put our heads together again to attempt to put together a working version of the Thri-Kreen Race from Dark Sun.
Take a look, feel free to comment or suggest changes.
We appreciate any input you can provide to make this a working PC race to be used in House Ruled games.

Without futher ado, we present (our version) of:

THRI-KREEN
Primal hunters, who use poison and quick reflexes to drop and devour their prey.

RACIAL TRAITS:
Average Height: 5’6” – 6’2”
Average Weight: 130 – 170 lb.
Ability Scores: +2 Dexterity, +2 Wisdom
Size: Medium
Speed: 7
Vision: Low-light
Language: Common & Thri-kreen
Skill Bonus: +2 Acrobatics, +2 Nature
Create Chatkcha or Gythka: You have an instinctual urge to create a crystalline throwing wedge or short, one-handed pole-arm from your poison resin. Creation of a chatkcha or gythka requires a full-extended rest. You may only have one chatkcha or gythka created at one time. You must choose which weapon you would like to create at first level. This choice cannot be changed at higher levels.
Hunter’s Determination: Thri-Kreen have no need to sleep, however they do need time to rest and enter a meditative state that lasts for 6 hours or longer. This condition does not render the thri-kreen unconscious, and they do not suffer any penalty to their perception checks while in their meditative state, due to sensory input from their antennae.
Poison Bite: You can use the thri-kreen racial power Poison Bite as a daily power.
Thri-Kreen Weapon Proficiency: You gain proficiency with the short pole arm called a Gythka (Prof: +1; Dam: 2D8; Properties: Versatile) or the crystalline throwing wedge called a Chatkcha (Prof: +1; Dam: 2D4; Range: 6/12; Properties: Light thrown).
Thri-kreen Agility: You ignore difficult terrain when you shift. This abilities works even when using abilities that allow you to shift more than one square.

Poison Bite (Thri-kreen racial power)
One bite is usually enough to stop a mantis warrior’s prey long enough to deliver the final blow.
* Daily *Poison *Reliable
* Standard Action *Melee
Target: One creature Attack: Dex. Modifier vs. AC
Hit: 3D6 + Con Modifier Poison Damage
Effect: On a successful hit target is slowed (save ends). As a secondary attack, if the target fails to save against being slowed, the target is immobilized (save ends).

“Mantis men” as they’ve become known make their homes in arid or scrublands hunting prey. Their biological prerogative to hunt drives their every action.

Play a Thri-kreen if you want . . .
· be a primal hunter.
· look completely alien to other races and have a reputation for eating sentient races.
· be a member of a race that favors the cleric, ranger or rogue class.

Physical Qualities: The thri-kreen, often called mantis-warriors, are intelligent humanoids with insect-like features. They most closely resemble a bipedal praying mantis. An thin, supportive exoskeleton covers the entirety of the adult’s body, but due to the unique features of the thri-kreen’s anatomy, provides no natural penalties for wearing armor that would fit another humanoid of a similar size. All thri-kreen have six limbs on their midsection, two are powerful legs designed for leaping long distances, two primary arms end in four fingered hands, and two vestigial arms curl at the midsection of the torso. The vestigial arms of the mantis-warriors are, unfortunately, weakened enough that they provide no bonus to the thri-kreen, and function similarly to the human appendix. A mantis warrior’s head has two large multi-colored compound eyes, usually green, blue and/or crimson colored, two small antennae and a complex jaw that includes a pair of wicked mandibles.

The thri-kreen as a race, mature very quickly, reaching full growth in just two years. They live for about 40 years and remain fully active until they die.

Playing a Thri-Kreen: Hunting dominates every aspect of a thri-kreen’s life. Members of other races often wonder if the thri-kreen are capable of thinking of anything else. As a nomadic race, few permanent thri-kreen communities exist; instead, lone hunters or packs range widely over their own territories, foraging and hunting for daily sustenance.

Mantis-warriors have an undeserved reputation for hunting sentient races. While on occasion, lone hunters will wander into an area inhabited by humanoid races, hunt, kill and eat a weak member of the species; this is the exception, not the norm. In days long-past, packs of thri-kreen actively hunted elves and became fond of the taste of elf flesh. This practice was eventually abandoned. The long-lived elves however, have not forgotten; while, on the other hand, the relatively short-lived thri-kreen no longer remember. As a rule, thri-kreen wonder why elves hate them without cause.

After the first few months of life the mantis men develop their poison glands and instinct drives them to create a throwing wedge, a chatkcha, or a short pole-arm, called a gythka. They will constantly work to craft, stylize and customize their own personal chatkcha or gythka. If lost, stolen or destroyed the mantis man will create a new one. An adult thri-kreen can create a chatkcha or gythka in as little as six hours. They will spend the rest of their lives improving their throwing wedge or blade.

Thri-Kreen Characteristics: Agile, alien, drifter, hunter, primal, wild.

Thri-Kreen Adventurers: An aging ranger, who appointed the mantis warrior his successor, adopted Tik’Tak. When a sorcerer, whose magic consumed the very plant life around him, entered Tik’Tak’s domain, the mantis man was forced to find brave adventurers to aid him in stopping the mad wizard.
Clik’Kluk’Tic wandered into a human settlement when he was young. As he aged he learned to prize something called “money”. As a rogue, he now stalks the streets, hunting for as much “money” as he can get.
Sister Karter encountered worshipers of Melora while hunting. She had an instant attraction to the nature goddess, seeing much of herself in the deity. Assuming a new name with her ordination she seeks to find followers who will help her destroy the church of Erathis. She sees them as the antithesis of her divinely appointed position and believes a holy war in imminent between the two religions.

Heroic Tier Feats:

Mantis Grace
Prerequisite: Thri-Kreen, Dex 13
You can dodge incoming missiles and other blows with a grace unseen in other humanoid races.
Benefit: +1 to Reflex and AC

Thri-Kreen Leap
Prerequisite: Thri-Kreen, trained in Athletics
Your insect-like legs were designed to jump and you’ve become an expert at leaping.
Benefit: When you make an Athletics check to jump, add 2 squares to the length of you r jump.

Paragon Tier Feats:

Poison Chatkcha/Gythka
Prerequisite: Thri-Kreen, Use of Chatkcha or Gythka
Your constant preening of your throwing wedge or pole-arm has imbued it with the poison properties of the venom it is made of.
Benefit: Once per encounter your chatkcha or gythka delivers poison, just like your Poison Bite daily power.

Last edited:

wherwrthal

First Post
Aren't these things supposed to have four arms?

From the Description text:
All thri-kreen have six limbs on their midsection, two are powerful legs designed for leaping long distances, two primary arms end in four fingered hands, and two vestigial arms curl at the midsection of the torso. The vestigial arms of the mantis-warriors are, unfortunately, weakened enough that they provide no bonus to the thri-Kreen, and function similarly to the human appendix.

Originally, all the thri-kreen have six-arms. However, because the design of 4e attempts to homogenize the different character races, having a race that automatically is able to hold more than any other unbalances it from the other races.

While designing I was considering giving them the two-weapon fighting feat for free. With the poison bite thing, and the lack of need to purchase a weapon at first level, it gives them both a monetary advantage at first level and a fairly powerful power.

Do you have a suggestion?
None of this is set into stone.
I appreciate the feedback.

chronoplasm

First Post
Whoops. Missed that.

I think it would be cooler if they could actually use their other two limbs for fighting. The four arms are their most distinct feature, so run with it!

wherwrthal

First Post
Whoops. Missed that.

I think it would be cooler if they could actually use their other two limbs for fighting. The four arms are their most distinct feature, so run with it!

Maximus made the same argument.
I just think that giving them an extra pair of arms when every other race has two makes them overpowered. Along with the poison (they would be only the second race so far that has an offensive racial ability) I can't think of why I would want to play anything but a thri-kreen. Similarly the natural armor, also a staple in Athas.

When they were designing them for 2e they really created a powerhouse. During our gaming sessions I didn't want to play anything but a Kreen becouse of the obvious advantages. My brother a more flavor player usually picked the Mul, but he's always been more of an actor than a powergamer.

I'm trying to keep with the philosophy expressed by the 4e designers. Especially of note are their comments in the Warforged article in Dragon 366(?) when they discussed the nerfing of Mr. Baker's creation.

They made some vaild points and I try to reflect those points when designing races in creating homebrews.

Maximus and I post them here to get feedback, before we try them out in game.

While I would love to give them access to all four arms I can't think of a way to keep them and not make them uber-powerful-killing machines with extra actions.

That was why I included the Agility Racial Ability, instead of the use of four arms, I guess.

wherwrthal

First Post
Not a thread jack.

I like the write up.
However, I don't think that Thri-Kreen were originally a hive based culture.
They were based on Preying Mantises and those are solitary insects.
I liked the leap ability and the four arms detail. (Although I don't know why it's part of the stat block as it provides no benefit for player characters, or if it did I couldn't see it. - sorry.)

Trooper Maximus

First Post
Dear god enworld is running slow for me. But I digress. It's not nearly as beefy as I sent you that's for sure. :)

You kow the game better so I defer to your experience and knowledge. I agree with changing the Poison Bite to a daily power.

Thanks.

wherwrthal

First Post
I like it as a daily power, too.
But I have some reservations, seeing as no other race gets an extra daily.
I want something weaker as an encounter.
Don't know what it is yet.
Did you look at the other guy's interpretation?
The leap encounter was okay, but I want something to do with the poison.
Maybe we can nerf it, and make it an encounter.
Rather than immoblize it only slows and does damage?
P.S. I've played more, but you're the one with the ideas. I just tweak'em.

RyvenCedrylle

First Post
I think there are ways to simulate the four arms without being unbalancing. The Quick Draw feat comes to mind here. You may not be coordinated enough to fight with the other two arms, but they can sure grab and manipulate things! Imagine a Thri-Kreen Fighter advancing on you with longsword, dagger, polearm and hand-crossbow. Mechanically, he can only hit you with his "main hand" but with Quick Draw, that effectively becomes any weapon you like. :)

Remove ads