• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 4E Elves & Eladrin Beware, Thri-Kreen are Hunting in 4e

wherwrthal

First Post
Shadowsong,

I like the paralyzing bite feat.
However, (Precursor: Lacking Martial Power)
Do any other races get a new power for a feat?
They are cheap afterall.

Shadowsong666

First Post
Shadowsong,

I like the paralyzing bite feat.
However, (Precursor: Lacking Martial Power)
Do any other races get a new power for a feat?
They are cheap afterall.

They seem cheap, but if you start building a character from zero (lvl 1) to hero (lvl 30) every feat counts. And think about the poison chatkcha. It seems good, but considered to poison/paralyzing bite it lost its reliable feature. Thats a big loss imho because hitting something is normally just a ~ 50/50 chance and letting a power be reliable makes sure that over the course of the encounter, you will hit with your ability. Even if it takes 20 attacks. But thats the tradeoff for going ranged, right? ^^

Yes, there are two races i actually remember that get powers upgraded or new ones through feats. Drow and Warforged (see Dragon magazines for the needed infos). So the way to handle things this way is legitimate imho.

Spatula

Explorer
This was my attempt to make a thri-kreen race back when 4e first came out. I don't have any interest in following the very limiting (IMO) 4e race design goals, however.

The idea of using feats to "build" a more powerful race is the way to go, I think.

THRI-KREEN
Ability Scores: +2 Dex, +2 Wis
Size: Medium
Speed: 6 squares? 7 squares?
Vision: Low-light
Languages: Common, Thri-kreen
Skill Bonuses: +2 Athletics, +2 Nature

Claws: You are never unarmed. Your claws function as daggers that cannot be dropped, disarmed, or thrown. You do not need to wield multiple manufactured weapons to get the benefit of the two-weapon fighting feats.

Multiple Arms: You can wield two weapons, or a two-handed weapon, and still use a shield. You cannot gain the benefit from two shields, nor effectively wield more weapons than normal. Free claws are often used to make thrown weapon attacks, or to manipulate objects during a fight.

Exoskeleton: Your carapace functions as armor (+2 AC) that you are proficient with. At levels 5, 10, & 15, its armor bonus improves by 1. At levels 20 & 25, its armor bonus improves by 2.

Bizarre anatomy: Because of your unusual shape, you cannot make use of some worn magic items. All armor, and feet, hand, and head slot items will not fit your frame.

Poisonous Bite Thri-kreen Racial Power
Your mandibles tear into your prey’s flesh, and hidden glands inject a paralytic poison into the wound.
Encounter • Poison
Standard Action Melee 1
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength +2 vs AC or Dexterity +2 vs AC
Hit: 1d4 + Strength damage and the target is weakened (save ends). If the first save fails, the target is dazed (save ends). If the second save fails, the target is unconscious (save ends).
Increase to +4 bonus and 2d4 + Str damage at 11th level.
Increase to +6 bonus and 3d4 + Str damage at 21st level.
Special: When you create your character, choose Strength or Dexterity as the ability score you use when making attack rolls with this power. This choice remains throughout your character’s life.

Racial Feats: all jumps are running jumps (paragon?), penalty to saves for bite attack (paragon?), weapon training (glaive and shuriken)

Social Status: Thri-kreen are always hatched as free creatures of the wastes.

Remove ads