• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Embarrasingly-- I'm not sure I grasp 1[W]+Str

toog

First Post
Hi everyone!

I know this sounds stupid but me and my group are wondering something about weapon powers that use the 1[W] + Str (or DX for that matter) way of stating damage.

Is the 1[W] the damage die of the weapon PLUS your relevant modifier? So, 1[W]+Str would actually be:

1d10+Str+Str ? Basically is 1[W] the weapons die plus your mod making anything that is 1[W]+something mean that it is [weapon die]+[relevant modifier]+[the modifier the power is telling you to add]?

Does my question even make sense?

mlund

First Post
[W] is your Weapon Damage Die(or Dice in case of a 2d6 weapon).

It does not include any bonuses or penalties of any sort - not magical enhancement bonuses, feat bonuses, ability score modifiers, or the +1 from using a weapon with the Versatile property in a two-handed fashion.

Player's Handbook said:
Weapon Damage Dice: A [W] in a damage expression stands for your weapon’s damage dice. (The weapon tables on pages 218–219 show damage dice for all weapons.) The number before the [W] indicates the number of times you roll your weapon dice. If a power’s damage is “2[W] + Strength modifier” and you use a dagger (1d4 damage), roll 2d4, then add your Strength modifier. If you use a heavy flail (2d6 damage) with the same power, roll 4d6, then add your Strength modifier.

- Marty Lund

Last edited:

Telémakhos

First Post
1[w] means roll the damage for the weapon, no modifiers. 4[w] means roll the weapon damage 4 times, and add it together, no other bonus.

abyssaldeath

First Post
From Compendium
Daily
bullet.gif
Martial, Reliable, Weapon
Standard Action Melee weapon
Target: One creature
Attack: Strength vs. AC
Hit: 3[W] + Strength modifier damage.
Say a fighter was using this power with a longsword. He would roll 3d8 + str. Any other damage bonuses would be added in the same manner that you add str. So if you had a +2 magic weapon it would be 3d6 + 2 + str.

Last edited:

alberand

First Post
This thread explains it very well, I think. 1[W]+Str would mean roll your weapon damage once and add your strength modifier for the total. [4]W+Str means roll your weapon damage four times, add them up, then add your strength modifier for the total.

In the latter example, if you had a feat such as dwarven weapon training or weapon focus that adds to damage and a +1 magic sword, you would roll your weapon damage four times, add up the total, add your feat bonus (only once), add your strength modifier (only once), and add +1 for the weapon's enahncement bonus (only once) for the total.

For powers such as the ranger's twin strike that only specify "1[W]" for the damage, you roll the weapon damage and add feat bonuses (if any), but not ability modifiers. For example, a ranger with Weapon Focus (longbow) and a +1 bow would roll 1d8+2 to determine twin strike damage.

At least, this is my understanding from reading the PHB and other threads discussing damage rolls. Feel free to correct me if I am wrong.

DracoSuave

First Post
Plus, weapons are no longer 'Strength-based' or 'Dexterity-based', per se.

Weapons do not have any inherent attribute assigned to their attacks like D&D<4 did. (Not in the same sense anyways)

Instead, you have the existance of two powers, Melee Basic Attack and Ranged Basic Attack that spell out the attributes used in -those attacks- only.

Each class's individual powers, on the other hand, may use different Attributes to decide their attack modifier. While with Fighters it's pretty much Strength all the way, but with Paladins, you have a number of -melee weapon- attacks that are based on the Charisma. And Rogues, melee OR ranged, have thier fingers on the Dexterity-button for their shinanegans.

I'm not even going to get into Swordmages.

Remove ads