• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Empower Spell

Demmero

Explorer
Quick question for the EN World gurus:

A 10th-level cleric casts an empowered Cure Moderate Wounds spell.
A regular Cure Moderate Wounds spell would heal 2d8+10 points of damage.
For simplicity's sake, let's assume that both d8 rolls are 5s (5+5+10 = 20 points healed).

The Empower Spell feat description says: "All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half."

To me, the variable effect in a Cure Moderate Wounds spell is the 2d8 part; the +10 part is constant for a 10th-level caster. Thus, my first impulse is to multiply only the 2d8 variable by 1.5 (resulting in 5+5=10; x 1.5=15; +10=25 points healed).

Yet later in the feat description, the example of an empowered Magic Missile says to "roll 1d4+1 and multiply the result by 1-1/2 for each missile." The constant +1 damage of each missile is added in before multiplying by 1.5. This makes me think that the formula I should be using is: 5+5=10; +10=20; x 1.5=30 points healed.

So...which is the correct amount of healing for this empowered Cure Moderate Wounds spell--25 or 30?

Hypersmurf

Moderatarrrrh...
Demmero said:
The Empower Spell feat description says: "All variable, numeric effects of an empowered spell are increased by one-half."

To me, the variable effect in a Cure Moderate Wounds spell is the 2d8 part; the +10 part is constant for a 10th-level caster.

The variable numeric effect of a Cure Moderate Wounds spell is "The number of hit points cured".

The range isn't variable; the number of targets isn't variable; the number of hit points cured is variable.

How is it variable? It varies between 12 and 26 (for a 10th level caster). That variable number (12-26) is multiplied by 1.5.

-Hyp.

green slime

First Post
An Empowered Spell requires a spell slot two levels higher.

A Cure Critical Wounds spell cast by a 10th level caster cures 4d8+10 or 14 to 42 hp.

Why wouldn't an Empowered Cure Moderate Wounds cure (2d8+10)*1.5 or 18 to 39 hp?

I think you really should go for the Maximised Cure Light Wounds and heal a massive 13 hp.

calypso15

Explorer
green slime said:
I think you really should go for the Maximised Cure Light Wounds and heal a massive 13 hp.

To be fair... Maximize is better when you're rolling a lot of dice and adding little to it. Empower is better when you're rolling few dice and adding a lot to it. I'm sure you could make a purdy graph showing the crossover point, but I'm too lazy.

Calypso

Demmero

Explorer
Thanks for the replies and examples, all. Looking at things in hindsight, it makes sense that you'd get more than 5 extra paltry hps for giving up a spell slot 2 levels higher.

kjenks

First Post
Empower Spell + Cure Moderate Wounds is a level 4 spell slot that cures about 28 HP.

CCW cures 4d8 points of damage +1 point per caster level (maximum +20), or about 28 HP for your 10th level caster.

Sounds about right to me.

Tip: Have your 10th level caster prepare Empower Spell + Insignia of Healing (from Races of Destiny); it's like Empower Spell + Mass Cure Light Wounds in a level 5 slot, and if you need to damage undead, you can spontaneously convert it to MCLW.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads