[EN World Book Club] On Writing by Stephen King (Discussion time!)

nakia

First Post
Mark said:
Maybe people should mention in this thread when they have finished reading the book. If most of us are done well before the sixth, and those who aren't have read it before (and don't mind), perhaps we'll get the discussion started early? Thoughts?

Sounds good. I probably will not reread it, but will look it back over. I am good to go at anytime.

Mark

CreativeMountainGames.com
Welcome aboard, WRon!

I've just finished it up, myself, and will let it gel in my brain for a while until everyone else has finished. I'll probably dig back into it a few times as I think over various aspects of the advice and even the autobiographical information.

JoeBlank

Explorer
I'm listening on tape, which I only do during my drive to and from work, and I've been off for the holiday. I'll pick it back up Monday and finishe easily before the end of the week.

Mark

For those who have access to Comedy Central, Stephen King will be the guest on The Daily Show tonight. Looks like some folks will need the weekend to finish their reading/listening, so we'll be getting to it on Monday the 6th as planned.

Mark

So, what revelations about writing come from this book that you feel might be helpful to you?

If you are familiar with other books on writing, what makes this one different?

How is it as a autobiography?

Answer these if you like and add some more questions of your own, please.

Acid_crash

First Post
This book rocks...

As a comparison to other books on writing, Steven King himself says it in one of the three prologues that most of what is written in books about writing is bull**** (I guess I can really rephrase what he said, huh).

As an autobiography, he only touches on the aspects of his life that eventually helped shape who he became as far as his writing career goes. I must say, he has a good memory to remember being stung by a bee when two years old.

nakia

First Post
I was really intrigued by his views on writing practice and talent: If you are a crappy writer, there may be no help for you. If you are an okay writer, then practice can make you into a pretty good one. But it takes more than practice to be a great writer -- you just have to have "it." (Whatever "it" is).

This, I think, was the most "radical" point in the book. His other bits of writing advice -- "Write a lot, read a lot" -- are pretty straightforward. Helpful, sure, but certainly things I had heard before.

Berandor

lunatic
Here we go - unless the database kicks me out again :)

The biography part of the book was very entertaining. It was a good decision to only cover certain "key events", I think, and to cover them without becoming too wistful.

I'm not too sure how embellished these events were, or how accurate, but even if everything was invented, I'd still like this part. King does know how to write entertainingly, at least. And I found his honesty concerning his addictions refreshing.

There was a slight hint that King was sort of miffed by his car accident, don't you think? I'm not sure, he could have written about it for the sixtieth time to make it clear... :)

The writing part, to me, was very helpful. What I didn't like so much was that he gave mostly fictional examples. Larryy Beinhardt's "How to write a mystery" gives real world examples. I like that not only because it gives me hints what to read and what to avoid, but also because I think these examples are far better than anything you can cook up, especially when you're trying to make up an example for "writing badly".

What I enjoyed was that he also covered the "other side of the coin", the "post-production" of writing. The parts about editing your own manuscript was something that I hadn't come upon very often (well, most books argued for editing, but not that extensively).

But the biggest reason why I liked the book was that it was indeed "on writing". It dealt with the actual process of writing, not only with using correct grammar, completing your vocabulary, and concocting believable characters - but do you sit down in the living room and type a little? Do you write when fancy strikes you? Or do you have to write in a more orderly fashion? The look into the actual process is what mostly made this book valuable to me.

Of course, he can talk about writing 5 hours every day, when he doesn't need to go shopping, commute 1 hour to work and 1 hour back each day, make the dishes, clean the apartment, iron the clothes... oh, and work for 8-9 hours :)

Anyway, I've got some questions of my own:
- Do you think his coverage of the accident was excessive?
- What do you think about giving more concrete examples from actual published books?
- Do you think he should have kept quiet about his addictions?
- How do you write? Do you need music, or silence? How much each day do you write? (This question, of course, is for those (aspiring) writers among us)
- Were there parts you disagreed with?

I haven't answered all of these myself, yet, but that might come later.

Remove ads