[EN World Book Club] On Writing by Stephen King (Discussion time!)

William Ronald

Explorer
Nakia, I think you make very good points on the issue of inspiration for ficitonal characters.

I found the book to be very helpful, particularly about editing. I think that it helps to put a story aside for a while and work on it. (I am putting a story of mine aside and I will get back to it shortly.) Also, an ideal reader helps. I have to find one.

King's advice on editing was very good. However, I will add a tip of my own. Sometimes, I will read a passage aloud to see how it sounds. If you have trouble reading a passage aloud, that might be a clue to rewrite it.

Similarly, King offered good advice on pacing. I think each story has its own pace. Some stories and novels may benefit from a slower or faster pace, depending on the writer and the story. Similarly, style is something that you find on your own. Hemingway and Faulkner are GREAT writers, but their styles are vastly different.

Also, there is a lot of good advice on being persistent. Be prepared for rejection and hard work. However, there can be rewards -- even if only you and a few friends read a story. Mind you, I can't afford to write eight hours a day, but I can try to pace myself to set a little time aside for myself.

I've found that having a general plot outline helps, but I have had a few things write themselves. Perhaps in some sense, we are like King's metaphorical fossil hunters, digging away carefully to uncover something remarkable.

Good gaming and good writing, everyone!

Remove ads