• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[EN World Book Club] Suggestions & Selectors

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alaric_Prympax

First Post
Well somehow I managed to scrape up enough money to buy The Anubis Gates which I'll start reading after I finish my present book (about 50 pages left in the Star Corps Book 1 of the Legacy Trilogy by Ian Douglas. I was going to read the 5th Black Company book Shadow Games until I saw that the next selection was a paperback, a trade paperback, but still a paperback, though a mass market paperback would have been preferred. Still, it's better then a hardback, which I save for a few select authors and of course gaming books. :) Also I don't think she'll be too upset with me on this one. I hope.

Last edited:

JoeBlank

Explorer
Dacileva said:
While I'm sure we'd love our Selection to be as important as a new d20 campaign setting...

Methinks you meant Eragon. ;)
Whoops!

Thanks for the correction. I'll resist the urge to edit my original post, so others can enjoy teh funny.

But I will edit this post to add that my wife saw the book Eragon and asked me "Is that about the guy in Lord of the Rings?"

Last edited:

Sam

First Post
Reminder: The discussion for The Anubis Gates by Tim Powers will begin on April 1st.

At that time, the next selector will post his choice for the discussion that will begin on May 15th. The next selector will be:
Michael Tree

JoeBlank

Explorer
Sam, I like to copy your sig to promote the book club. In doing so, I noted that the colors are too light to read when viewing the forums in Players Handbook style, and probably in Stealth style too. I monkeyed around with them some for my sig.

Sam

First Post
JoeBlank said:
Sam, I like to copy your sig to promote the book club. In doing so, I noted that the colors are too light to read when viewing the forums in Players Handbook style, and probably in Stealth style too. I monkeyed around with them some for my sig.
I tried to do one that would work in other styles, but couldn't find one that worked across the board. Also, I'm assuming that most users have it set to the default style.
I like your combination though! Very Christmas-y ;)

Michael Tree

First Post
Sam said:
At that time, the next selector will post his choice for the discussion that will begin on May 15th. The next selector will be:
Michael Tree
Alrighty then. I'm having a bit of a dilemma. The book that I would really like to pick is fairly obscure, and probably only available through buy.com or amazon.com (and even then they might not have very many copies in stock). OTOH, it's a fairly short book (around 250 pages), so I'm tempted to choose that book but also select another alternate book for those who can't get the main one. Or for those who want to read both. After all, two 250 page books combined are shorter than Tigana, Pattern Recognition, and Eragon each were.

Michael Tree said:
Alrighty then. I'm having a bit of a dilemma. The book that I would really like to pick is fairly obscure, and probably only available through buy.com or amazon.com (and even then they might not have very many copies in stock). OTOH, it's a fairly short book (around 250 pages), so I'm tempted to choose that book but also select another alternate book for those who can't get the main one. Or for those who want to read both. After all, two 250 page books combined are shorter than Tigana, Pattern Recognition, and Eragon each were.

If I were you, I wouldn't pick something that wouldn't be easily be available (or at least easily special orderable) through your neighborhood bookstore. While lots of people order on Amazon, there are many who get books at local stores and from libraries.

Chooseing two books is a bad idea. We don't have a huge number of posters for our books to start with, and splitting the readers is just going to make the discussion group even smaller for each book.

Just my two cents. :)

JoeBlank

Explorer
I agree with CL, so that makes 4 cents total.

It is understandable to have a book you really want to choose, but can not due to the limitations of the book club. As CL mentioned, our discussion groups have grown small enough without splitting them.

Perhaps if you make your main selection an easy-to-find but short book, and then make the alternate book "extra credit" for those who can locate a copy and have time to read it too. Like you said, if the primary book is short enough that those who are so inclined might have time to read it in addition to another short book.

Michael Tree

First Post
JoeBlank said:
Perhaps if you make your main selection an easy-to-find but short book, and then make the alternate book "extra credit" for those who can locate a copy and have time to read it too. Like you said, if the primary book is short enough that those who are so inclined might have time to read it in addition to another short book.
That sounds like a good idea. I'll do that. I don't really have time to read a long book anyway: as it is I'm going to be late for the Anubis Gates discussion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Remove ads