First Post
The same without rendering ...

Attachments

• city_3d_003.jpg
    city_3d_003.jpg
    68.9 KB · Views: 171

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
I'll get back to you asap on the subject of bridges but you have to consider that we're talking river boats and not high sea ships.

I've some carvings of fortified bridges that I have to scan so you can see what I mean.

Conaill

First Post
Nicely done, Grey Dwarf!

Just thinking... I'm not sure about that south road. It seems like it would be way too hard to cross the river upstream from Mor's End. Caravans going towards the area south of the lake would probably try to circle the swamps over land, rather than ferry across the hard way...

Any votes for making the "big island" smaller? Otherwise we're going to have to detail a lot of that as well: it would make the obvious location for fishing industry, harbor, etc.

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Conaill said:
Nicely done, Grey Dwarf!
Just thinking... I'm not sure about that south road. It seems like it would be way too hard to cross the river upstream from Mor's End. Caravans going towards the area south of the lake would probably try to circle the swamps over land, rather than ferry across the hard way...
Any votes for making the "big island" smaller? Otherwise we're going to have to detail a lot of that as well: it would make the obvious location for fishing industry, harbor, etc.
Thanks. ;)
Going around the swamp might have proven way too expensive in guards (dead) and merchandise (lost).
No detail is needed for the big island at the moment IMO. Several farms and some hunters sheds are enough. The city is young, it needs room to grow and the island is the next step, once they have build a new palissade. You must leave something for the DMs.

Conaill

First Post
The Grey Dwarf said:
Going around the swamp might have proven way too expensive in guards (dead) and merchandise (lost).
So how do you see them crossing the river at that point? Big cargo ferries? Wouldn't it be easier to move stuff by ship instead?

No detail is needed for the big island at the moment IMO. Several farms and some hunters sheds are enough. The city is young, it needs room to grow and the island is the next step, once they have build a new palissade.
I worry about it because logically there should be way more people living much closer to the lake, given the current geography. Except that opens up a whole other can of worms which I'm sure we don't want to tackle with. It would be better if Mor's End were closer to the lake itself. Otherwise I feel we need to come up with a reason why the city hasn't expanded into that direction instead. (e.g. because that's where the clay beds are)

jdavis

First Post
Conaill said:

I worry about it because logically there should be way more people living much closer to the lake, given the current geography. Except that opens up a whole other can of worms which I'm sure we don't want to tackle with. It would be better if Mor's End were closer to the lake itself. Otherwise I feel we need to come up with a reason why the city hasn't expanded into that direction instead. (e.g. because that's where the clay beds are)

Maybe the silk fish harvesters have their harvest pools on the lake shore there and try to discourage city growth in that direction.

Conaill

First Post
Does anyone here own (or know someone who owns) Campaign Cartographer 2 from ProFantasy? It has a City Designer add-on, which seems exactly what we need.

Autocad is all cool and groovy, but for a publisheable quality streetmap a tool like this seems indispensible. It'll even do random street layouts. MMS suggests ~3500 buildings for a city of this city... I'm sure Grey Dwarf wouldn't want to enter all of those by hand!

Unfortunately, CC2 doesn't come for free, so we would need to find someone who has it and is willing to volunteer some time...

Edit: There's also the free Autorealm package.

Last edited:

jdavis

First Post
Conaill said:
Does anyone here own (or know someone who owns) Campaign Cartographer 2 from ProFantasy? It has a City Designer add-on, which seems exactly what we need.

Autocad is all cool and groovy, but for a publisheable quality streetmap a tool like this seems indispensible. It'll even do random street layouts. MMS suggests ~3500 buildings for a city of this city... I'm sure Grey Dwarf wouldn't want to enter all of those by hand!

Unfortunately, CC2 doesn't come for free, so we would need to find someone who has it and is willing to volunteer some time...

Edit: There's also the free Autorealm package.

The autocad work looks amazing, but I agree for a steetmap CC 2 is very good. I love the autocad look so far it's like a aerial view, perhaps after the cad work is done somebody could do a top down map showing where the shops from the craft thread are located.

Last edited:

TGD@work

First Post
jdavis said:
The autocad work looks amazing, but I agree for a steetmap CC 2 is very good. I love the autocad look so far it's like a aerial view, perhaps after the cad work is done somebody could do a top down map showing where the shops from the craft thread are located.

That was the general idea but I don't have CC2 and haven't found any good free application (so far). I'll have a look at AutoRealm (if possible)

Also it seems my computer problems @home are there to stay. I need a backup for this ministership. If said problems persist too long that person might need to take over from me.
Any volunteers? (approval by Krug required)

TGD@work

First Post
Ok, I had the time to do a quick try of AutoRealm.
The app seems ok, if libraries follow, it will be a great app.
Here's a quick draft of the general map.

Attachments

• test002.jpg
    test002.jpg
    69.5 KB · Views: 147

Remove ads