• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World City Project: Geography

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Entropy was just a working name. It dates back from an old post.
I forgot to remove it, sorry.

The Land of Shadows maybe? Due to a permanent mist covering the place. Or The Drowned Land, quite straightforward, IMO.

More ideas, please ...

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Here's the closeup promised earlier.

There are three marketplaces:
- Food in the halfling/gnome area (SO).
- Goods Along the main road (N).
- Black Market near the Squats (SE)
The small isle is now isolated from the rest of the city.

Your comments please, before I start working on the districts ...

Attachments

• city_009s.jpg
    city_009s.jpg
    169.2 KB · Views: 193

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Conaill said:
Does anyone here own (or know someone who owns) Campaign Cartographer 2 from ProFantasy? It has a City Designer add-on, which seems exactly what we need.

I have both Campaign Cartographer 2 and City Designer 2. I can give it a shot but will need some guidance as to what the ministers want. (Also remember that I have HUGE pain issues).

Cheers!

KF72

p.s. BTW, check out my Cartography thread (see sig) for a version of the region around Mor's End for my World of Kulan campaign setting. It's not the final draft, BTW.

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Mor's End City Draft

Ok, I used TGD's map above as my guide to do this in CC2, using CD2.

{EDIT}

Need to change the tower layout a little, it doesn't look right.

Last edited:

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Updated Version

Ok, I took the map to then next level but figured I should post it as it stands before going any further.

What does everyone think?

Cheers!

KF72

Attachments

• mors_end.jpg
    mors_end.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 164

TGD@work

First Post
Re: Updated Version

Knightfall1972 said:
Ok, I took the map to then next level but figured I should post it as it stands before going any further.
What does everyone think?
Cheers!
KF72

Great ! :)
If you agree, we'll work from your map from now on.
I'll rework my districts draft from there.
Do you want to be my backup as Minister of Geography ?

Conaill

First Post
Great work, both of you!

Couple of thoughts...

- we probably need a gate on the NE or E side of the city, even if only a small one. There's probably a minor road following the north side of the river, and we need a way to send sorties in that direction as well.

- Make the small island at most half as big. Other wise it's a bit too much of "prime real estate" to leave to a single mage.

- The Squats shouldn't be split up across the river, because it wouldn't have a unified identity. There might be a slum on the north side of the river, but then it should have its own name. I had put some industrial stuf there. Would be an especially appropriate site for tanners, alchemists, etc: lots of need for water, but smelly and polluting.

- Seems like the whole set of bridges got rearranged! Newbridge is gone, and there's now a bridge (instead of the ferry) between Port Jollita and the docks. I prefer the original arrangement, as in my closeup on the page 2. The crossing on the south end makes more sense if it's a ferry: it's between two naval centers, it has to let not only river barges but also the larger lake ships pass, and it would be a longer span to cross than on the east side of the city. On the other hand, Newbridge would be major feat of dwarven engineering, and would probably be closer to their part of town. Downstream (i.e. East!) of the Citadel river crossing would make most sense.

- The southern gate and trade route would probably be as far away as possible from the dangerous swamp.

- The southern marketplace should not be smack in the middle of the Squats. There's nothing of value there! Instead, it would be closer to the harbor and the traderoute.

- Road crossing the Citadel island needs to go through the Citadel. The Citadel started out as a reinforced toll gate on the river crossing...

Sorry for the nagging....

Gah! I tried to edit Knightfall's map a little on my dinky laptop at home, but good ol' Paint made it a bitmap file and messed up the colors. Yuck. It's waaaay to late for me now anyway. I'll see if I can send out a better pic tomorow from work. Meanwhile, have another look at the closeup on top of page 2.

Conaill

First Post
Ok, here's my doctored version of Knightfall's beautiful streetplan. The black outlined area next to the marketplace in the SE is the Grand Bazaar, a semi-permanent, semi-indoor market where you can buy just about *anything*, legal or otherwise. The Grand Bazaar gradually peters out into a network of hundreds of little streets, which turns into the Squats further East.

Attachments

• mors_end.gif
    mors_end.gif
    30.4 KB · Views: 146
Last edited:

Remove ads