EN World City Project: Geography

Tonguez

A suffusion of yellow
Gotta protest Pigs are NOT smelly and are in fact very clean animals. The problem is that humans keep them in muddy surroundings and feed them effluence (ie rotten food)

A pig raised on grass and grain might like to wallow a bit but does not stink.

Also Feta is Goat-milk cheese and Goats milk is better for those who are lactose intolerant (and can be given to babies whereas Cows milk is a really bad idea)

Also can we change Ranch to Farm - the idea of Ranchers is just to America specific for my mind to tolerate:D

Knightfall

World of Kulan DM
Tonguez said:
Gotta protest Pigs are NOT smelly and are in fact very clean animals. The problem is that humans keep them in muddy surroundings and feed them effluence (ie rotten food)

A pig raised on grass and grain might like to wallow a bit but does not stink.

Also Feta is Goat-milk cheese and Goats milk is better for those who are lactose intolerant (and can be given to babies whereas Cows milk is a really bad idea)

Also can we change Ranch to Farm - the idea of Ranchers is just to America specific for my mind to tolerate:D

Hmm, how about instead of farm or ranch we use the word stedding? And under resources, we should refer to the products these steddings produce - foodstuff (grain, meat, etc.), wool, leather.

KF72

p.s. I'll let people chime in before I change the summary.

David Argall

First Post
ranch vs farm

"can we change Ranch to Farm - the idea of Ranchers is just to America specific for my mind to tolerate"

Cattle do call for rather large amouts of fairly flat land, and we have been talking about mountains and mining, so we have some conflict here. Maybe goats would work better.

However, wild west stories are only American because they had the publicity. The Americans learned nearly everything about cowboys from Mexicans, and Argentina has a lot of cattle too. Not to mention more ancient cultures.

Lalato

Adventurer
Re: ranch vs farm

David Argall said:
"can we change Ranch to Farm - the idea of Ranchers is just to America specific for my mind to tolerate"

Cattle do call for rather large amouts of fairly flat land, and we have been talking about mountains and mining, so we have some conflict here. Maybe goats would work better.

However, wild west stories are only American because they had the publicity. The Americans learned nearly everything about cowboys from Mexicans, and Argentina has a lot of cattle too. Not to mention more ancient cultures.

David...
That's why I proposed the Argali sheep. While there may be a few cows in the area, they most certainly would have been imported.

Argali sheep, in D&D terms, would be considered dire sheep. In the real world, Argali sheep can grow up to 5 feet tall. They live in the mountains of central asia (kirgyzstan to tibet). They can be domesticated, but the majority live in the wild. They can produce meat, milk (similar to goat's milk), wool (low quality), and the male's have magnificent horns.

As I posted in another thread... I never imagined that there would be large ranches of these animals. That just doesn't make sense. The majority of the food in the medieval diet should be vegetable not meat.

Here is what we have identified so far for local food sources...

Meat:
Argali Sheep
Fish (most abundant meat)
small amounts of other common barnyard animals (chicken, pig, cow, etc.)

Vegetable/Grain:
Lake Kelp (tastes like spinach, and fairly abundant)
Swamp Pickles (very sweet, but hard to find)
Wheat farms just north of the city
Several small farms throughout Enheim

Assuming that the population of Enheim is about 30,000... They can support the city of 10,000 as long as the food supply is constant... and the land is sometimes aided by magic.

That could provide an interesting plot hook.

--sam

Krug

Newshound
The town's water tower.

Based on one located in Prague.

Attachments

• podvod.jpg
    podvod.jpg
    13 KB · Views: 252

Remove ads