• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

EN World City Project: Geography

jdavis

First Post
So the main route is North-West to South-East not South-West to East? I saw the North-West route went to Kul Moren in the mountains and stopped, it goes beyond there then? My perception of what was the main trade route was off, I thought it went from below the lake to the city and then went East or North-East. I thought the North-West Road just led to Lalaton and Kul Moren and stopped.

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
How about this. I removed some of the mountains on the North side of the lake (don't really know why those were there in the first place...), extended the trade route there, added some mountains so Kul Moren can't just go straight East, and made the river go a little more NE. Does that make it more clear?

Having the main trade route going straight through the swamp doesn't make much sense. That's where our highest concentration of nasties is right now. That's why I had been arguing all along that there shouldn't even be a road on the South side of the lake. (I've since agreed that having a small road would be really cool if only for plot reasons. ;))

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
Oops... forgot the picture:

Attachments

• morsend011.jpg
    morsend011.jpg
    86.1 KB · Views: 109

Lalato

Adventurer
If the mountains don't extend down on at least one side... the need for a river crossing is eliminated.

Either way is fine with me... as long as Mor's End is necessary as a river crossing.

Personally I prefer the other way. Caravans are forced to use Mor's End to cross the river... they can either use the boats to get to the other side of the lake or they can take the treaherous swamp road.

Your way eliminates too much of the danger for the caravans... in my opinion.

I think the trade route should come from the North East... cross the river and head South West.

--sam

Last edited:

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
Districts reviewed.
Changed one or two roads, sorry.
I didn't use the latest version of the map but KF72 will have to do it in CC2 anyway, so I don't think it's a problem.
Thanks again for the help. :)

Attachments

• mors_end_kf72_02.jpg
    mors_end_kf72_02.jpg
    80.3 KB · Views: 125

The Grey Dwarf

First Post
lalato said:
I think the trade route should come from the North East... cross the river and head South West.
--sam
IMO one trade route comes from the NW and one from Kul Moren.
They split in Mor's End, one going to the SE and one to the SW (road or ships). The intersection of two major trade routes is good for business.

Lalato

Adventurer
If the trade route comes from the NW it doesn't need to cross the river at Mor's End... they can simply go around the lake... Heck they could circumvent everything just by going further south around the swamp.

There would never have been a need to cross the river... and therefore no need for Mor's End.

--sam

Conaill

First Post
TGD: Yeah, that's more or less what I had in mind. Except I was thinking more along the lines of a West-East axis (including Kul Moren, Lalaton and parts further West), and a SW-NE axis (mainly lake and river traffic).

TGD, you ok with extending the trade route through Lalaton then?

Districts: The Posh district would probably be integrated with the Commerce district around the central market place, since that's where a lot of the money comes from. Maybe switch "Temples" and "Rich"? Not sure we need an actual Temple District. They're probably competing with each other any way, so they would be spread around town.

There may be some smaller docks along the river just below where you have "Temples" now. Probably started out as a dock area, But since the halflings put Jollita Bridge in place, it's now only accessible for the smallest ships, and being turned in to a pictoresque "harbor view" area for the rich. Maybe call it "the Old Harbor"? Port Jollita should also have some small docks of course (East of Jollita Bridge).

Last edited:

Conaill

First Post
lalato said:
If the trade route comes from the NW it doesn't need to cross the river at Mor's End... they can simply go around the lake... Heck they could circumvent everything just by going further south around the swamp.

Trade comes from W/NW and heads E/SE. The river flows to the NE, so there needs to be a crossing at Mor's End.

Trade coming from SW can either go by ship across the lake (safer), or across the causeway through the swamp (dangerous, and can't carry too much weight). It then continues via the river to the NE (or via the roads to Kul Moren or to the East). You're right that there wouldn't be too much reason for trade from the SW going to the NW to pass through Mor's End, but there's plenty of other trade crisscrossing there.

Last edited:

Lalato

Adventurer
My post says NW not SW...

Based on your map... if trade is coming from the NW... there is no need for a river crossing.

Trade from NW can go around the lake... and never cross the river. Therefore... there is no need to go through Mor's End.

That's why the mountains should block the west side of the lake. Trade should then come from the NE... and travel SW and SE once it crosses the river.

The option for boat travel is made available for those traveling SW if they would prefer to avoid the swamps...

--sam

Last edited:

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads