Encounter level of a room of CR 1 traps

Doug Sundseth

First Post
Since your description doesn't indicate that there is any link between traps, I'd treat it as multiple EL1 encounters. The players can choose to stop their interaction at any time and walk away at will, so mere physical proximity doesn't make that a single encounter, IMO.

FWIW, I will sometimes run combat encounters closely stacked in time and as long as they don't overlap (much), I treat them as separate encounters, too.

Jhaelen

First Post
Elethiomel said:
Because they aren't skilled enough to set up a deadly trap, so instead they do what they can?
Well, unless something is preventing them from hiring skilled professionals to create the traps, they'll just have to pay the associated cost.

Besides, the DC is identical for traps of CR 1 to 3. So unless they're short on money, there's no reason to EVER create CR1 or CR2 traps!

Actually, I'd guess the real reason the treasure chest in the room is empty is because of the prohibitive cost of creating all those traps ;)

Felnar

First Post
Doug Sundseth said:
Since your description doesn't indicate that there is any link between traps, I'd treat it as multiple EL1 encounters. The players can choose to stop their interaction at any time and walk away at will, so mere physical proximity doesn't make that a single encounter, IMO.

FWIW, I will sometimes run combat encounters closely stacked in time and as long as they don't overlap (much), I treat them as separate encounters, too.
agreed

Remove ads