Endur's Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil

Pyrex

First Post
Raner nods at Lylamwyn, "We need to take care of these bodies and see they're buried. I wouldn't want any of 'em waking up on us."

Raner points whichever wagon carrying the dead (Spuignoir, Redithdoor & the cultists) toward The Church of St. Cuthbert.

Paxus Asclepius

First Post
"The sick should also go to the temple, or the Grove. They will need magical care." Belaver will take the sickened animals to the Grove, to seek healing for them.

Seonaid

Explorer
Toriah tries to look alert and capable. "Someone shoul' do something with all this stuff . . . we woul'n' wan' anyone t' take 't."

Endur

First Post
The party splits up. Lenya goes to the Welcome Wench. Belaver, Neshi, and the black cat go the Grove of the Old Faith. Craven, Lylamwyn, Kerwin, Raner, and Toriah take the two wagons to the Temple of St. Cuthbert.

Belaver finds Old Jaroo and his assistant Yundi in the grove. After listening to Belaver's explanation of the fever that Neshi, the black cat, Kerwin, and Toriah have developed, Belaver and Yundi look expectantly at old Jaroo.

Jaroo, after thinking for a bit and almost falling asleep, says:
"My boy, you make me proud. The herbs you are using for Neshi and your traveling companions are exactly what I would have suggested for this fever. They should be better after several days of bed rest.
"Let us pray to Mother Beory and Father Pelor that your friends' time is not done yet. Let us hope that they will not be making the trip to Nerull's Underworld."

(The primary Gods of the Old Faith Pantheon are Pelor the Sun, Beory the Oerth, Ehlonna and Obad-Hai their children, and Nerull (Death, Satan, Evil One, Pelor's Brother, etc.). )

When Craven, Lylamwyn, Kerwin, Raner, and Toriah take the two wagons to the Temple of St. Cuthbert, they find that the leaders of the Church in Hommlet are all there (Canoness Y'Dey, Calmer her assistant, and Terjon her second). Craven and the others describe the evil they found in the Moathouse, the tragedies that befell Old Del, Nierethi Poscurian, Spugnoir, and Redithidoor, and the many injuries and afflictions the party still suffers.

The Canoness says that the herbal treatments that Belaver has given to Kerwin and Toriah seem to be working very well. With plenty of bed rest, they should recover in a few days.

Calmer asks the Canoness to pray to St. Cuthbert to restore Spugnoir to life. "Hommlet should not lose such a formidable champion of law and good."

The Canoness responds,
"We should pray for all those who passed away, not just those who were our friends.
"Calmer, schedule funeral services for the slain.
"Terjon, borrow a riding horse from the stables and go to Verbobonc to the head of the Church of St. Cuthbert there to ask for aid. Remind the head of our order that a pre-emptive strike against the evil cultists now, before the cultists raise an army or summon demon lords, will save us much anguish and sorrow."

Lenya walks into the Welcome Wench, an hour before the dinner crowd begins to gather. Maridosen looks more surly than ever. With a disgusted look on her face, she says, "Well, its about time. I'm sooo tired of working double shifts because you and Craven wanted to go on an extended vacation."

Maridosen takes off her apron and throws it into Lenya's chest and walks out of the inn before Lenya can even speak up.

When Lenya asks about Vesta, Ostler, sitting in his easy chair by the fireplace, says she is upstairs sleeping. Ostler's wife, busy in the kitchen, calls out, Vesta worked late last night and is taking a nap before the dinner rush.

(OOC: Important: Are party members Tithing to the Church of St. Cuthbert or the grove of the Old Faith? Is anyone mentioning Elmo or Vesta to NPCs?)

Dalamar

Adventurer
Kerwyn spends the time they take to get to Hommlet by practicing his spell-stealing (and coping a couple of feels) on the unconscious cultistess. If he happens to recover healing spells, he'll use them on those that need them.

"A couple of days of bed rest? How on Oerth am I supposed to spend the time?" Kerwyn questions, emphasizing with a roll of his eyes. Though he does toy with the possibility that Lenya will be taking care of him during his recovery, which is not a bad possibility at all. Maybe there's really something to this "sickness" after all...

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
OOC - Tithing? Oh yes, yes Craven will.

"Canoness, I have further news, rather disturbing news. When we were ambushed, the attackers were not along. Elmo and Vesta were with them. When the attack began, Vesta cast harmful magic at Lylamwyn, and Elmo..." here Craven pauses and swallows, "Elmo turned into a wolfman. He ran off after the fight. We will need to hunt him down."

Endur

First Post
Canoness Y'Dey replies to Craven's terrible news,
"This is dreadful news.
"Elmo and I have not talked since his brother Otto died.
"I knew he would one day lose his way. But I never imagined it would come to this.
"Lord Burne and Lord Rufus put Elmo in charge of dealing with all of the various menaces that threaten Hommlet. You must tell them.

"I wonder who taught magic to Vesta?"

Endur

First Post
Craven, Lylamwyn, and Raner go up the hill to speak with the Lords Burne and Rufus and to turn over the female cultist as a prisoner. Kerwyn and Toriah are receiving their bed rest.

Lord Rufus caustically responds to the report of Elmo being a werewolf and the reported dragon
"Did Elmo bite anyone? No? Then its not our problem. Elmo is in charge of security for Hommlet and dealing with supernatural threats. Turn the evil cultist over to him.
"Sure, I've slain dragons. How do you think we paid for this keep? But I'm getting old. And I'll never hear the end of it if I'm out overnight on a quest. Talk to Elmo about the Dragon."

Lord Burne adds in a sympathetic tone of voice
"Try to look at it from our perspective.
"Its not that we don't believe you saw what you said you saw.
"But you take Elmo for granted. You have seen him around for years and you forget just who and what he is.
"Elmo is the strongest man in town and could defeat any number of opponents in battle. But his strength and skill at arms are the least of his abilities.
"Elmo and his brother Otto fought and wounded a god of evil. St. Cuthbert himself intervened on their behalf.
"Elmo is a Knight of Furyondy and has received every honor that the neighboring lands could bestow upon him. He has a chest full of medals and there are at least a dozen songs about his exploits against the Temple of Elemental Evil.
"While anyone can be bitten by a werewolf, the idea that Elmo was bitten is inconceivable. Anyone but him. Any explanation will do, but Elmo can't be a werewolf."

Isida Kep'Tukari

Adventurer
Supporter
"As you wish Lord. I did not lie about what I saw, but perhaps it could be a ruse," Craven says neutrally. Internally, he marveled at Lord Burne's ability to purposefully blind himself to a truth that was unpaltable to him.

Xael

First Post
After Craven mentions "Elmo" and "Vesta" to the Canoness, Lylamwyn ask a question from the Canoness. "Are you able to cast a spell to ask questions from the dead? There are some things that I would like to ask from the dead cultists, and possibly some more from Chat."

When Lord Burne and Rufus deny all possibilities of Elmo being a werewolf, Lylamwyn frowns, but doesn't push the subject. He's rather annoyed that they don't even bother to think about an explanation. "Well, at least the "Vesta" we saw had an aura of Illusion magic on her, so I doubt it was the real Elmo either.", he says while trying to end the discussion about that subject, even though he feels that it might just be a half-truth.

OOC: Lylamwyn will only mention about "Vesta" and "Elmo" to Lord Burne and Rufus, since he sees no reason to spread rumours. Handing over the cultist to Elmo becomes his very last priority.

Last edited:

Remove ads