• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Stringbean2142

First Post
[sblock=Martelai]The cellar. Definitely the cellar, but it was drawing you to the cellar through the house. There's a trapdoor inside, and a side door outside.[/sblock]
[sblock=Veruzak]It's a hike to the cabin. If you want to head out there, you can, but you'll not get there for a bit. Basically, you'll arrive either too late to be involved in what's about to go down, or if it drags out a bit you'll arrive at a very dramatic moment. The other group has a lead on you that almost certainly guarantees they'll be inside (assuming they go inside) before you get there.

Hmm, how about a compromise. An Athletics check at DC 10. For every point you beat 10, you shave five minutes from your travel time. You need at least twenty minutes off to get there right now. It's tough, so as an additional option I'll let you burn up to two healing surges to get a +2 bonus for each surge burned. That will symbolize you pushing yourself as hard as you can.[/sblock]

Atriden

First Post
Neurotic said:
"There is a woman screaming for help inside. It is of course false, but it took me several moments to overcome the suggestion to rush in and help her. It is insidious way of controlling people. If you have some way to protect your mind, do so before we enter. I'll go first since I can 'hear' it. Atlas and Catein may be immune or resistant due to their natures, but be careful."
" Interesting, I heard nothing of the sort. I agree, this is not a good indication. I hope you are right that me and the man mostly man made of metal are immune, but I wouldn't count on it. What puzzles me is why it did not force Kendrick to enter, he would be a obvious prey since he already was so close" he whispers to the others.
Neurotic said:
Unless someone contradicts him, Martelai walks to the door, but pauses with his arm outstretched. "It comes from the cellar, but it wants me inside the house. We should probably go through side door."
" That would be wise " Atlas comments, in a low voice.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
We aren't using him as bait, we are protecting the townspeople by taking him to the source. You said it wanted him, so we are delivering... Once we arrive at the source we can stop the problem and get paid. But we must hurry, our companions don't know yet! Veruzak looks strained as he continues pulling Bell along and explaining.

[sblock=OOC]
I'm at work on the iPod, burn those surges, and make the rolls for me please? Leave Veruzak 2 HS left at min.

Also please make the relavent monster knowledge check to identify the type of creature that leaves the marks?
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
[sblock=Atriden]look again at my post before, I edited to reflect stringbeans answer...[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
[sblock=Athletics]Atheletics (1d20+4=9)

Bell burns two Healing Surges and fails! I assume I have some time to kill then before we get there. I'm sorry. . . but the dialog is likely going to get silly.[/sblock]

Veruzak said:
We aren't using him as bait, we are protecting the townspeople by taking him to the source. You said it wanted him, so we are delivering... Once we arrive at the source we can stop the problem and get paid. But we must hurry, our companions don't know yet! Veruzak looks strained as he continues pulling Bell along and explaining.

"Ok . . .*huff*. . . fine. . .*huff*. . .But no feeding . . .*huff* . . . him to evil. . . *huff*. . . tentacles." Bell's legs raced behind, trying to keep up and hold her half of the weight. "You know . . . *huff* . . . I read for fun."

skotothalamos

formerly roadtoad
Catein follows the others to the cabin.

"A woman's voice, you say? I did not hear it either. Illusion seems likely. If we're being targeted by illusions, I expect the inhabitants of this place already know we're here. As it is dark inside the cabin, I suggest we throw open the shutters to allow some light inside before we go."

Following word with action, the chainer heads toward the nearest shutter and throws it open violently unless someone stops it. It will continue with the rest.

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
[sblock=Athletics]Atheletics (1d20+4=9)

Bell burns two Healing Surges and fails! I assume I have some time to kill then before we get there. I'm sorry. . . but the dialog is likely going to get silly.[/sblock]

"Ok . . .*huff*. . . fine. . .*huff*. . .But no feeding . . .*huff* . . . him to evil. . . *huff*. . . tentacles." Bell's legs raced behind, trying to keep up and hold her half of the weight. "You know . . . *huff* . . . I read for fun."

The feeling of battery acid pumping in his legs was unpleasant, and dragging Bell along was equally difficult. Veruzak would not lose potential recruitment to evil tentacles! Bell, in thru your nose, out thru your mouth, we must get to Martelai before "it" does!

Veruzak felt inner reserves of energy, as they drained, and arcane reserves being sapped from deep in his fey blood. None-the-less he persevered, and even managed to weave a spell! Veruzak's shadow strings suspended Bell, acting as a harness, to both lighten her, and save her from tripping.

Massacre, my role-model, has a good relationship with evil tentacles... In fact, if our problem is only evil tentacles, we may have just lucked out! *Big breathe in* As of right now though, I don't plan to give Rayn over to anything, our contract doesn't allow for that. The gasping continues, a slight wheeze builds up, and then a fit of coughing... Veruzak continues moving, silent after the asthma attack.

[sblock=OOC]

21 Athletics (Burnt 4 surges for a total +4 modifier to the roll this leaves 2 healing surges for Veruzak until an extended rest.)

Double moving, and running, and pushing hard with athletics.

Minor actions for mage hand to hold Bell up a bit, and keep her from tripping over her own feet.

[/sblock]

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
While Catein opens the windows, Martelai takes small sliver from the floor and attaches a note to cabin wall after marking something on it.

"Let's go, Chainer, it already knows we're here, let's not give it time to prepare better."

[sblock=Note]
NOTICE
This site is claimed property of Institute of Arcane Cyphers for any or all of the following reasons:
* Site of known magical manifestations
* Power node
(*) Site of arcane menace or magical threat to general populace
* Ritual site
* Site of unexplained arcane manifestation
* Legacy site or site of historical significance
* Research station
* All of the above
* Other

For additional information or legal dispute contact Martelai Luinil or other representative of IAC in Bacarta office.
[/sblock]

Stringbean2142

First Post
Bell and Veruzak race up the path, pushing themselves as hard as they can while carrying the limp Lt. Rayn between them. both of them can feel a pressure of arcane powers forming ahead. It's subtle, and if they had not been moving through it at such a brisk pace they would never have sensed it. Just a few more minutes...

At the cabin, meanwhile, Martelai claims the empty cabin for the IAC and Catein lets some light in on the situation, but there is no visible response. The trap door to the basement yawns wide, and the screams continue in Martelai's head. The screams reach a cresendo and abruptly cease. All near the cabin here a thump on the ground from below.

[sblock=Veruzak]No luck with the monster check; this is something you've never heard of before. A creature that can drill into a person's psyche like a man drilling for oil? This has not been seen before.

OOC, this is a new monster. Part of the reason for the adventure was to introduce it to L4W.[/sblock]
[sblock=OOC]Once someone has gone into the basement, Veruzak and Bell can consider themselves within hearing distance of the cabin. If you drop Rayn, you'll be there now. Your choice.

Sorry for the rushed post, but I've got work...[/sblock]

Remove ads