• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enemy Among Us (DM: Stringbean2142, Judge: TwoHeadsBarking)

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
OOC: Deleted post: very well, then Martelai does similar to Veruzak while waiting on Kendrick. If possible to come within 6 squares of the cabin without being seen (such as being down the cliff)

Martelai settles down, extending his senses toward the stars and shining down upon earth to detect minute variations in natural planet field around him.

Arcana to Detect Magic in the Area (1d20+8=26)
Perception (1d20+1=7)

Last edited:

Atriden

First Post
Still at the square
ScorpiusRisk said:
"I think Mr. Kendrick, should show Veruzak and I exactly what he saw, and then Mr. Kendrick, Mr. Atlas, Catein and Mr. Martelai should go down to the cabin. Just be sure to return before midnight so we know where you are and havn't gone from yourselves. Veruzak and I should be able to keep things under control until then, especially since we are so close to the rest of the town."
Atlas' stony eyebrows lift when he is addressed by Bell in this matter and is amused that he is ordered around by a little human.
" Just call me Atlas soft one " he turns to face the others " well, lets move out before the little lass goes into a frenzy. We wouldn't want that to happen " says the statue in a courteous manner, who is obviously making a little bit fun of Bell.
Neurotic said:
"Keep an eye on anyone who was injured in this attack. They may become violent if this is some kind of disease. Be careful."

As they gather together:
"Atlas, that goes for you too. If you notice anything amiss, speak immediately so we can address the problem."
" I shall " and he readies to go to Hob's Cabin
[sblock=OOC]
ScorpiusRisk said:
"I think. . . " I wish we had some sort of charismatic leader who could give us orders in an intelligent way so we would just know what to do without just milling about. . . *sigh* I guess things don't aways work out the way they should.
Hey, I am a very, very Charismatic leader! Be ready to get bullied around Missy! :p!
[/sblock]

The Cabin

Mal Malenkirk said:
-''Wait here, stay out of sight.'' Kendrick says to his colleagues. ''Let me take a look first, I'll signal you what I find. The signal will be 'Get your ass over here' if it is all clear. If I detect enemies, I'll signal you by using my sword to reflect the sunlight toward you. And if you hear 'ARHHG! HELP! HELP! OH GOD IT HURTS!'', it will signal that there are enemies, that I have been spotted and that you need to save me. Now wish me luck.''
" I'd prefer if you did not go alone Kendrick. Not that I doubt your skills, but If indeed it takes time to get there, and should you encounter some resistance, we wont be able to get there fast to aid you " Atlas pounders for a few seconds for himself " On the other hand, should there be trouble and if we all went here, we wont all be able to make an fast escape as you " and he pounders some more before coming to a conclusion " None the less, I wish you Good luck "
Atlas joins the others and awaits Kendrick's signals.
Perception: 3 - Yay, I'm as blind as a bat!

Stringbean2142

First Post
[sblock=The Anatomy of a Hollow, or Why Localized Slang Sucks...]There are times I hate my Kentucky backgound.

"Top of the hollow" is Kentucky slang (well, it should read properly as top of the holler, but even I'm not that country) for the bit of a hollow or valley right at the foot of a larger mountain. I used it without thinking, so sorry.

To make up for it, I threw together a picture of the cabin, waterfall, and cliff at lunch today, to give you an idea of what you are looking at.[/sblock]

The Herbalist's Basement

Bell looks over the unconscious Lt. Rayn, and immediately finds the marks. More importantly, she can feel them in an arcane manner. The marks look like burns and don't pierce the skin, but in an arcane sense they are boreholes into the brain itself. What's more, the marks on Lt. Rayn are much more pronounced than on the other bodies. Nothing Bell knows of in nature could have caused these marks.

The herbalist, a polite old man who up until now has been relatively quiet, notices the looks on Bell's and Veruzak's face as they sense the magic of the marks and asks, "Is everything all right?"

[sblock=Bell]You know that if this was an arcane attack, the amulet would have offered some protection to Lt. Rayn against it as long as he wore it around his neck.

You're also having a hard time focusing on the magic of the marks; there's some sort of interference coming at you from all around.[/sblock]
[sblock=Veruzak]Tagging along, you also see the marks and divine their nature. They feel to you like the magic you can sense in the ground below you, and this combined with the white noise you heard in the men's minds suggests that these marks are boreholes, and something is getting into those holes. It's possible you could find a way to use that yourself on an already-affected person, and perhaps trace the noise to a source.

Basically, your OOC tuning rod idea mentioned early just occurred to Veruzak IC.[/sblock]
The Cabin

[sblock=Picture]
2nrj5ft.jpg
[/sblock]
Kendrick moves up to the cabin, taking a circuitous route using the cliffs to avoid detection, while the others wait. The roar of the nearby waterfall dulls their usual senses at the distance they are at.

Martelai's psychic scouting of the area reveals something that makes him unconsciously move towards the cabin, and he finds himself less than twenty feet from the cabin door before he returns to his senses.

[sblock=Kendrick]You see no evidence that anyone is in the house. From what you can see through the window, the first floor is empty and the indoor cellar trap door is open. Whenever Hob left, it looks like he came straight from the cellar and out the door. Meat left out on the visible table suggest this was less than three days ago, as the meat is not going bad yet.[/sblock]
[sblock=Martelai]You're scouting out the area with your other-worldly sense when you feel something in the cabin. It's a cry for help, claiming that what happened to Hob will happen to this person if you don't move in now and save them. Roll. The call draws you towards the cabin, putting you close to entering before you even realize you started to move. You've shaken off the urging now, but still hear the call. It sounds like a woman, and she's crying in pain.

Now that you know of the call, it won't reach into your subconscious remotely again, but since you've opened yourself up to it you'll be slightly less effective at arcana checks because this woman is psychically screaming at you for help. It's distracting, to say the least...[/sblock]
[sblock=The Investigation]3 SUCCESSES

Clues/Facts:
- Three months ago, animals start acting up. It starts in forest, spreads to farms and village. Three weeks ago, a farmhand named Rand entered the Sea Foam Tavern and started attacking people. Was killed by a blow to the head. A week ago, Krill Kol enters the villages screaming about sparks and strange people before passing out. Has no memory of event on awakening. Six days ago, two people killed by an eight year old boy named Mart. Boy subsequently killed by Lt. Rayn. Patrols sent out to investigate. Eighteen men disappeared and one was found killed, apparently by a member of the guard. Lt. Rayn was one of the men who disappeared.
- Veruzak may have found something under the ground...
- Whatever is going on caused two men's brains to explode.
- The bodies of the victims so strange marks on the temple, neck, and ear areas. Bell and Veruzak confirm that the marks are arcane in nature.

Possible Actions:
- Talk with Krill Koll about his episode.
- Talk with the witness that are still around of the events.
- Investigate the bodies of Rand, Mart, and the archers. Arcana, Nature, Heal, or give me a good reason for something else. Different skills may reveal different things.
- Talk with Rayn and the scouts once they have regained consciousness.
- Investigate Hob's cabin.[/sblock]

Mal Malenkirk

First Post
Despite his previous jest, Kendrick does not signal the 'all clear' verbally but simply wave to his colleague, indicating that they should join him. He still takes care to avoid showing his silhouette anywhere near the windows. He moves silentlly to the side of the door and wait for his allies there.

Last edited:

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
The Herbalist's Basement

Veruzak follows behind Bell, hood up, maintaining silence. He leans in eventually and whispers to the young Shadar-kai, Do you think they are bound properly? Where do you think we should start? The question sounds much like an instructor asking a question he already knows the answer to.

Bell tests the bonds slightly as a grim realization rolls over her face. "No. I don't think so." A pause. "I don't think bonds will be enough. My estimation is that the source of this can dominate and leave a soul without difficulty, filling others afterwords. If it still wants these men then it will inhabit another, come here and free them."

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out the amulet with the broken chain handing it to Veruzak. "Whatever it is, it wants this man. The Amulet of protection it was physically removed, I think before his mind was taken. Maybe by the boy, maybe another one of the soldiers once they went out into the wilderness. Something went out of the way to get him particularly. His marks are stronger than the others, deeper."

She focuses at the area around them squinting. "There's more here as well, but I can't see it. Something's getting in the way."

The herbalist, a polite old man who up until now has been relatively quiet, notices the looks on Bell's and Veruzak's face as they sense the magic of the marks and asks, "Is everything all right?"

Bell turns to the herbalist as he approaches. "No sir. I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind. Where you present when Kril was having was caught shouting seeming nonsense recently? Did you treat Kril Koll after his incident? Did you treat Lt. Rayn here, after his fight with the boy?"

Atriden

First Post
Atlas senses something is amiss when Martelai moves towards the cabin and follows with his sword and shield at the ready. He also gestures Catein to follow them. Seeing that Kendrick signals them to come the cabin he rushes to him and as he tries to avoid the windows. As Martelai joins them he asks calmly " Is something troubling you? "

Stringbean2142

First Post
The Herbalist's Basement

The herbalist frowns. "That poor man. The shouts drew me into town, but by the time I got there he was already unconscious. We brought him here, where I gave him a tincture. When he came around, he had no memory of what had happened...

"As for Lt. Rayn, yes, I looked after him as well. You can still see the marks on his neck where the boy went after him."
The herbalist gestures to several long scratches on Rayn's neck, scratches which could easily have been caused either by the boy's nails or Catein's chains.

"Why do you sak, dear?" There's an undertone of worry in the herbalist's voice, signs of a town physician whose town is sick for reasons still unknown.

Neurotic

I plan on living forever. Or die trying.
Martelai shakes his head and frowns, unaccustomed to having his actions dictated by another. Even his father could order only so much.

"Hmm, most probably a trap, but what if she's really in trouble and is possessed like others? Well, let's see without loosing too much time, just to prepare others...bah, this reminds me of father constantly bossing around."

He turns toward others:
"There is a woman screaming for help inside. It is of course false, but it took me several moments to overcome the suggestion to rush in and help her. It is insidious way of controlling people. If you have some way to protect your mind, do so before we enter. I'll go first since I can 'hear' it. Atlas and Catein may be immune or resistant due to their natures, but be careful."

Unless someone contradicts him, Martelai walks to the door, but pauses with his arm outstretched.

"It comes from the cellar, but it wants me inside the house. We should probably go through side door."

He veers, going to side entrance
"Unless it's a trap of course", he adds continuing his walk around the house

OOC: where did it originate? within the cabin or from the cellar?
OOC2: moving enough to gain concelment, just in case
OOC3: edited to reflect answer to OOC
[sblock=CaBaNa]
I got approved by the judge. could you take another look? I'm changing all unreadable parts with tables from Kamotz :), but it's still in progress[/sblock]

Last edited:

CaBaNa

First Post
The Herbalist's Basement

Bell tests the bonds slightly as a grim realization rolls over her face. "No. I don't think so." A pause. "I don't think bonds will be enough. My estimation is that the source of this can dominate and leave a soul without difficulty, filling others afterwords. If it still wants these men then it will inhabit another, come here and free them."

She reaches into her pocket and pulls out the amulet with the broken chain handing it to Veruzak. "Whatever it is, it wants this man. The Amulet of protection it was physically removed, I think before his mind was taken. Maybe by the boy, maybe another one of the soldiers once they went out into the wilderness. Something went out of the way to get him particularly. His marks are stronger than the others, deeper."

She focuses at the area around them squinting. "There's more here as well, but I can't see it. Something's getting in the way."

Bell turns to the herbalist as he approaches. "No sir. I'd like to ask you a few questions if you don't mind. Where you present when Kril was having was caught shouting seeming nonsense recently? Did you treat Kril Koll after his incident? Did you treat Lt. Rayn here, after his fight with the boy?"
That's Great! Veruzak beams, smiling from ear to ear. He ignores the herbalist completely and talks directly to Bell. He glances down at the trinket, and thinks about his own neck. Then he remembers that he's found a freaking prodigy, and that it was a Shadar-kai no less... Finders Keepers, my dear. He unsnaps the clasp, and places it around Bell's neck.

Now, (Veruzak has been re-securing the bonds of Lt. Rayn as he has been speaking. Hog tie him, so tight, he could be carried like a briefcase.)

Now get the other side of this, and let's take him wear he's wanted. First to the cabin though, to get our associates. Veruzak ignores the herbalist even on the way out. On the way to the cabin he fills in Bell's blanks, like the ground, and the signal, and his new divining rod.

[sblock=OOC]

Veruzak double times it to the cabin with the hot new lead...

[/sblock]

ScorpiusRisk

First Post
The Herbalist's Basement

The herbalist frowns. "That poor man. The shouts drew me into town, but by the time I got there he was already unconscious. We brought him here, where I gave him a tincture. When he came around, he had no memory of what had happened...

"As for Lt. Rayn, yes, I looked after him as well. You can still see the marks on his neck where the boy went after him."
The herbalist gestures to several long scratches on Rayn's neck, scratches which could easily have been caused either by the boy's nails or Catein's chains.

"Why do you sak, dear?" There's an undertone of worry in the herbalist's voice, signs of a town physician whose town is sick for reasons still unknown.

That's Great! Veruzak beams, smiling from ear to ear. Finders Keepers, my dear. He unsnaps the clasp, and places it around Bell's neck.

Now get the other side of this, and let's take him wear he's wanted. First to the cabin though, to get our associates. Veruzak ignores the herbalist even on the way out. On the way to the cabin he fills in Bell's blanks, like the ground, and the signal, and his new divining rod.

Bell moves to the otherside and with a bit of effort helps lift the man into the air, quickly she remembers the herbalist as they leave and manages to force out an answer as the hurry away.

"There'somekindofmentalistattackinganddominatingthetownnotawlaysfromafarandIwascurioushowtheyweretreatedandtheirpersonalaffectsatthetimebutImustbegoingnow. . . ." She adds with a shout as they leave the house. "IF YOU SEE TENTACLES, RUN!"

She listens to Veruzak as carefully as she can, as they carry the large man away and slowly but surely she begins to understand and the realization of what they were doing sank in grimly.

"Veruzak! It's wrong to use innocents as bait!!"

[sblock=ooc]Time to go read all those sblocks marked Veruzak so I know whats going on.[/sblock]

Remove ads