• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Energy Resistance

aurellius

First Post
I want to check with the boards here, but which of the following is correct for a creature with Fire Resistance 20 who gets hit with 2 fireballs in the same round each doing 25 after saves.

a) creature takes 10 Damage.

b) creature takes 30 Damage.

The Group I pay with has been doing it the A method, but our mage was looking into polymorph and looking at [ex] abilities and found that the dmg says B.

Other than making the the demons we are coming across much harder to hurt, what are your opinions on the A method?

Marcus

edit : can't type :rolleyes:

Last edited:

LokiDR

First Post
Resistance is applied on a round by round basis, just like the spell. So B is correct answer.

As for method A, I would call it too strong from a general point of view. You would never be able to hurt a demon with a huge barrage of fireballs, which would otherwise be a viable option. I think this option should stay open for DM to use against the players if nothing else.

Krafen

First Post
From the SRD:
RESISTANCE TO ENERGY
A creature with resistance to energy has the ability (usually extraordinary) to ignore some damage of a certain type (such as cold, electricity, or fire) each round, but it does not have total immunity.

Each ability is defined by what energy type it resists and how many points of damage are resisted.

The creature still makes saving throws normally.

Count the creature's resistance from the start of its turn to the start of its turn the next round. Its resistance "resets" on its turn.

When resistance completely negates the damage from an energy attack, the attack does not disrupt a spell.

This resistance does not stack with the resistance that a spell, such as endure elements, might provide.

I don't see any reason to make Energy Resistance more effective than it already is. This way, multiple weak attacks can be used to overwhelm Energy Resistance, while your option A is actually Energy Immunity to a certain level of damage.

kreynolds

First Post
aurellius said:
I want to check with the boards here, but which of the following is correct for a creature with Fire Resistance 20 who gets hit with 2 fireballs in the same round each doing 25 after saves.

a) creature takes 10 Damage.

b) creature takes 30 Damage.

B. See Resistance to Energy in the DMG under Special Abilities, page 81.

aurellius said:
what are your opinions on the A method?

Too powerful. Unless you also house rule that Empower Spell only increases the spell level once for every two applications. :)

Dr. Zoom

First Post
aurellius said:
what are your opinions on the A method?
It's wrong. :D

Plus, you would almost have to make the Endure/Resist/Protection from Elements spells higher level spells, not to mention the CR of creatures with these abilities. I would just correct this error among your group and start playing it the "B" way.

aurellius

First Post
Thanks for the quick replies. I posted in case there was some chance that our group had saw in in eratta some where. Our GM is pretty good about switching things around if we find a gross error in our play so it should be no problem.

Marcus

Remove ads