• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enhancement Bonus and Bows

jonnyv

First Post
Goodday all!

I apologize if this has already been treated in another post but if it has I could not find it.

In the campaign that I am playing in, I play an elvish cleric with an identity crisis. He has an abnormally high Dexterity for his class (19) and so I have been capitalizing on that. I have been using him as an archer first and a healer/caster second.

I recently got a Longbow +1 and I was wondering if the +1 was only to hit or also to damage.
I am using normal arrows and in the campain setting where I'm playing, I should be greatful that I have +1 bow at all...

I thank you for your input.

sukael

First Post
As far as I know, special abilities still 'carry over', however--for example, you could use a +2 bow to fire +1 construct bane arrows, with a net result of +2 construct bane attacks.

(Admittedly, this isn't really useful until higher levels, when it's cheaper to get specialty magic arrows than it is to add more generic enhancements to your ranged weapons.)

RamYaz

First Post
Magical ranged weapons

Infiniti2000 said:
It is +1 to hit and damage. It does not stack with magical or even masterwork arrows.

I think your interpretation is flawed. The d20SRD by Woodelf says it better:

"The enhancement bonus from a ranged weapon does not stack with the enhancement bonus from ammunition. Only the higher of the two enhancement bonuses applies.
Ammunition fired from a projectile weapon with an enhancement bonus of +1 or higher is treated as a magic weapon for the purpose of overcoming damage reduction." ;)

Infiniti2000

First Post
How is it flawed? That I didn't point it out that only the higher bonus applies? You could also say it's flawed because I didn't point out the extra hardness and hit points. I also didn't point out that you have to be 3 * enhancement bonus caster level to create such a weapon. Anything else I forget?

Kae'Yoss

First Post
jonnyv said:
Goodday all!

Welcome to the boards!

I apologize if this has already been treated in another post but if it has I could not find it.

It has been. But no worries: It happens all the time, with a lot of topics, since there is no search function here.

Infiniti2000

First Post
Kae'Yoss said:
It has been. But no worries: It happens all the time, with a lot of topics, since there is no search function here.
Sure there is. You just need to pay for it. Or, you could use Google with the additional "site:enworld.org". But, that's admittedly tough to use.

Kae'Yoss

First Post
Infiniti2000 said:
Sure there is. You just need to pay for it.

You're right. But that's not very useful to a new member who hasn't had the chance yet to like the place.

edit: Thanks for that tip, I didn't know you can do that. Should be very useful, not just for enworld.

Remove ads