• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Enlarge non-humanoid?

Question

First Post
I thought a troll can only be killed via fire or acid, and a troll that is immune to fire or acid cannot be killed, as it regenerates all damage.

frankthedm

First Post
Question said:
I thought a troll can only be killed via fire or acid, and a troll that is immune to fire or acid cannot be killed, as it regenerates all damage.
No, 3rd edition allows for there to be a few other ways, notably drowning. I'd think if a critter have vital organs carved out and live, a little water in the lungs would be an inconvenience, temporarily crippling perhaps, but not fatal.

Death magic kills them just fine. Crush the soul/life force and bing.

Nail

First Post
Question said:
The SRD is your friend:

SRD said:
Regeneration (Ex): .....Attack forms that don’t deal hit point damage ignore regeneration. Regeneration also does not restore hit points lost from starvation, thirst, or suffocation.

Question

First Post
Okay so your only chocie is insta kill death magic of some sort then? A troll has fairly good fort saves IIRC.

Also how does an adventuring party starve a troll to death, or suffocate it?

frankthedm

First Post
Question said:
Okay so your only chocie is insta kill death magic of some sort then? A troll has fairly good fort saves IIRC.

Also how does an adventuring party starve a troll to death, or suffocate it?
Well if the troll is immune to both fire and acid [stupid half dragon war troll...]

Starve it: trap it in a dungeon room or cave. As it happens IMG trolls starve at the rate other critters die of thirst. That regen requires a high calorie/high protien diet.

Suffocate it: trap it in a small dungeon room or cave. Seal the way out with wax.

Drown it. You might need enough water to submerse it, or the DM might just let pour the water in though a lung wound.

Octal40

Explorer
If Artificer (or you know one), make an item of Alter Self. Then give to the target. They can then change into another creature of their type within one size category.

Nightfall

Sage of the Scarred Lands
Some nice idea to deal with a troll with fire and acid immunity. Besides there's always death by massive damage...right?

Plus you could always open a portal to the Negative Energy plane. Like to see a troll survive there... :p :)

Moon-Lancer

First Post
also, if your dm is really bad about the lung thing, saying the lungs will regen before it can sufficate, you can just put big rocks in mouth so it chokes (sufficates).

Nail

First Post
Since the troll regenerates at a fixed rate, have your fighter continue attacking while it is down --> don't bother with coup de grace.

While it's at negative hp, it is helpless. Cover it's mouth and nose for awhile....voila! Suffocation!

Remove ads