ENnies 2002 - Making Decisions

Ron

Explorer
Morrus said:

1) Publishers felt disadvantaged by the fact that they could only enter one product per category, and felt that they were playing a guessing game trying to match products to categories. The solution to this is to allow publishers to enter as many products as they like for as many categories as they like.

2) Publishers were - by and large - disappointed by the fact that the ENnies were voted for by the public, turning the contest into one of popularity. [...]

I believe that number one is a valid criticism. I would go for a increase of the number of possible enterings per publisher, although unlimited entering would possible create an even bigger problem to the nomination committee.

I am not concerned with the second criticism. There is nothing wrong with the actual system. The nomination committee actually works as a filter, increasing the chances of poorly known products with high quality. Because of that, the ENies are not a pure popularity contest, although, popular good products have a higher chance of winning. I understand that the EN World is a fan site that created a community around it. Nothing more natural to me than allowing this fan community to choose their winners. By creating critics and fan prizes you will double the number of prizes. Every publisher would vote for such increase in prizes as they all want a few of their own to increase their brand recognition.

Remember that there is no sure way to have the best possible choice. There is no reason to believe that the nomination committee will be completely without bias. Everyone is biased, although we usually don't perceive it. I can only suggest to get a large enough committee to minimize any bias problem.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Nikchick said:
As for publisher complaints, screw 'em. You heard me, screw 'em! People live to bitch. Give them something for free and they'll complain that the portions were too small. Ok, I'm intentionally overstating the case, but no matter what you choose there will be people who find that it somehow disadvantages them or their pet project.

Nicole, next time we're in the same country at the same time, remind me to buy you a beer or two! :)

Abashima Press

First Post
RoguePlayingGames said:

As a freshman upstart imprint focusing on electronic publishing, I have no problem with printing and mailing copies of my product(s) to judges for consideration. I figure if I want the recognition, I can choose to go the extra step.

Being in the very same situation, I feel the same way. If we do something we think is worthy, I wouldn't mind printing and mailing copies, especially if it was to a central location.

As to products-per-category, I think each company should decide what represents its best effort and offer it up.

There can't be two "bests" so there shouldn't be more than one submission per category from any company.

Mystic Eye

First Post
Well, I was in last years EN Awards and frankly had no problem with the process at all. In fact I was thankful for the event. I will enter again regardless of any change and, without being quite as frank as Nicole, I agree with her 100%.

That being said, while we were nominated I told my entire team not to expect a win because, at the time, we lacked exposure over many of the other more established names. It was simply an honor to get recognized being so new.
On that note, it is certainly a popularity contest (to a small degree) but so what. I think that the popularity of a company and the product is a reflection of the quality of the products (in most cases) the company puts out.
Yeah, newer guys might be at a disadvantage but if the product in question really stands out then it is likely to have become popular enough quickly to potentially win.

I think that if the judges announce the entries early enough for the public to get to take a look at the smaller, lesser known entries then that may alleviate some of the feelings Russ mentioned. If no changes are made at all I am fine with that too.

Fiery James

First Post
One option...

If it does make it easier, you can just send the awards to Fiery Dragon now and save time and effort that would be spent on all of the balloting!

[ducks]

I think Green Ronin should have walked away with at least one more award last year, therefore if Nicole and Chris are ok with the procedure as is, then everyone else should be ok as well.

- James

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
Re: One option...

Fiery James said:
If it does make it easier, you can just send the awards to Fiery Dragon now and save time and effort that would be spent on all of the balloting!

With all the shameless pimping you did, you probably deserved a special award just for effort... "Hey guys, just popping into the chat room to say hi, how ya doing?" :) :)

Fiery James

First Post
Re: Re: One option...

Morrus said:

With all the shameless pimping you did, you probably deserved a special award just for effort... "Hey guys, just popping into the chat room to say hi, how ya doing?" :) :)

Hey! I took almost 6 weeks off! (Of course, it's just coincidence that we didn't have any releases for 6 weeks, and just coincidence that I'm getting active again as Of Sound Mind is about to release) :)

- Did I mention that Of Sound Mind is about to release?

:) James the Subtle ;)

Last edited:

Nikchick

Explorer
Re: Re: Re: One option...

:) James the Subtle ;)

James, you're about a subtle as I am! ;) Less abrasive, perhaps, but just about as subtle.

I shudder to think of the shameless plugging that will occur for this year's ENnies.

::shudder::

:D

7thlvlDM

Explorer
I think having the same rules as last year is more fair now than it was last year. I remember Paradigm Concept's nomination wasn't out for more than a week when the poll went up. I'm certain only a vast minority of people had a chance to see it before the voting began. Well, now everone knows how the voting will work before hand (assuming it doesn't change), so the publishers are wiser about what to submit.

As much as I agree that more popular doesn't make something better (and some of the nonpopular but extremely good products could certainly use the spotlight), I don't think anyone cares about an award voted for soley by select judges. It's nothing but a glorified review if it doesn't get the public's input!

Damror

First Post
Being in the very same situation, I feel the same way. If we do something we think is worthy, I wouldn't mind printing and mailing copies, especially if it was to a central location.

I agree.

I am not concerned with the second criticism. There is nothing wrong with the actual system. The nomination committee actually works as a filter, increasing the chances of poorly known products with high quality. Because of that, the ENies are not a pure popularity contest, although, popular good products have a higher chance of winning. I understand that the EN World is a fan site that created a community around it. Nothing more natural to me than allowing this fan community to choose their winners. By creating critics and fan prizes you will double the number of prizes. Every publisher would vote for such increase in prizes as they all want a few of their own to increase their brand recognition.

I agree with this also.

If the publishers want to create their own award given out to the best products and publishers, that would be the equivalent of the Oscars.

Does anybody think that is a bad idea?? I think it will happen eventually, regardless of what we think about it right now.

If we did have a second award system then the publishers wouldn't have a gripe with the ENies being a "popularity contest" (which is really just criticizing something for being what it is). They would have thier own contest that, presumably, is not a popularity contest.

Remove ads