• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

entry into Arcane trickster

Thanee

First Post
Scion said:
But that doesnt change the fact that there are some prcs out there that by taking levels in them you no longer qualify for them, which sets up a pretty nasty problem. There is at least one in the dmg itself.

Which do you mean? Dragon Disciple?

I'm sure they added '(cannot already be a half-dragon)' for a reason...

Bye
Thanee

Azrael

First Post
I agree with Thanee, magic items cannot normally be used to fulfill a prestige class pre-requisites. However in complete arcane there is a feat called spell hand that lets you cast mage hand once per day so I might allow that to get you into the class.

Scion

First Post
Thanee said:
Which do you mean? Dragon Disciple?

I'm sure they added '(cannot already be a half-dragon)' for a reason...

srd said:
Race: Any nondragon (cannot already be a half-dragon).

Requirement is 'any nondragon' which it then clarifies this to make sure you know it means halfdragon.

The class however changes your type to dragon at level 10, thus you no longer meet the requirements of being 'any nondragon'.

Thanee

First Post
But that's a little more than strict reading... :p

I see the '...already...' part as specifically excluding the change to dragon type gained from this very class from denying the prerequisites as fulfilled. Why else should they add it, other than that?

Bye
Thanee

Scion

First Post
umm.. ok

my guess is, as I said before, that it was added to make sure people realized that the halfdragon template counted.

Possibly for those that didnt notice that the halfdragon template makes them into a dragon.

But, if you wish to read it differently go ahead.. I dont really see that being a valid reading, especially considering the part right before it, but ::shrugs::

likuidice

First Post
your type doesnt change to dragon with dragon disciple. you gain only the listed benefits, the "takes on half dragon template" part has been clarified as being a mistake, and flavour text only. I.E, you do not gain a +3 level adjustment, an additional +8 str, +2 int, con and cha, and the other abilities that the prc does not give, dragon type (immunity to humanoid spells) being the big one.

Thanee

First Post
Would make sense, that they do not truely aquire the template, mostly because it makes absolutely no sense for them to gain a level adjustment, since the benefits are divided over the 10 levels of the PrC already as a 'cost'.

But I'm pretty sure, that their type does change to dragon (and that this does not make them any less qualified for the PrC).

Bye
Thanee

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads