• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

entry into Arcane trickster

likuidice

First Post
"second, at 10th level, the dragon disciple prestige class states that the character takes on the half dragon template, is this simply flavour text, or does the character actually gain the entire template, including level adjustment, stat boosts etc. Common sense dictates that its simply flavour text and the character simply gains the bonuses listed, however the passage mentions the template, so its unclear.

-This is simply flavor text, since the character only gets the benefits listed in the prestige class. Good Gaming!

*Please quote this email in any reply.*
Chris
Customer Service Department
Wizards of the Coast
1-800-324-6496
*******************************************"

Thats from the (albeit not very good) wizards customer service. This also agrees with the thought that gaining the template at the end of the class provokes a +3 level adjustment, +16 str, +4 int con and cha (total, one set from the class, one from the template), two breath weapons, and immunity to a large number of spells, which unfortunately, is a little too much to handle.

Edit: the change to dragon type is not one of the benefits listed, and thus won't happen.

Thanee

First Post
Hmm... ok... that would work, too. I've assumed, that they gain something like the 'leftover' of the template (without the LA), which they havn't gained already, anyways.

It really makes sense to have the type change, too.

Bye
Thanee

Scion

First Post
I trust custserv about as far as I can throw them. Which of course means not at all.

unless official errata comes out stating that being a halfdragon through the class does not make one gain the dragon type then it does.

Basically gaining whatever is left from the template, they have already paid the effective level adjustment through the class.

likuidice

First Post
You either gain the template, with it's inherent stat bonuses and level adjustment, or you do not, you cannot simply pick and choose what you fancy having from it.

Edit: the class does not make you a half dragon, it makes you a dragon disciple, unless you rule that it does give you the template, in which case you would apply the entire template, not simply the bits you like.

Last edited:

Scion

First Post
But you can assume how it works from what is said.

You gain the template, except in the ways that are different. Which to mean would be the things that are mentioned and a few that are not, such as gaining the dragon type. But that would not include gaining the LA because that was already subsumed by the prc.

All around the prc is definately in need of some rewriting. Both to make it a little better and to make it a lot clearer.

likuidice

First Post
If the class was intending to give the benefit of the dragon type, it would be listed in the class as a gained ability, the same way the stat bonuses and breath weapoon are.
That section though, does indeed need a rewrite.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Isn't it amazing when threads take on a life of their own?

I'd like to thanks those of you who answered my question on Mage Hand (Squire James, Thanee, Azrael, Scion, and Jack Smith). I wish there had been more concensus, but what are the odds of finding that here... ? ;)

Scion

First Post
It certainly sounds to me like that ability is the culmulation of the whole class that gives all of the effects of the halfdragon template by useing a slightly different means. Hence talking about the halfdragon template at the end ;)

Anyone with the book, do they have any extra wording there?

Scion

First Post
Kobold Stew said:
I wish there had been more concensus, but what are the odds of finding that here... ?

If you simply ignore a couple of the different view points then you can pretend that there is a concensus, does that help? ;)

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads