• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

ENWorld Chicago Gameday OD&D session - question for players

Chgowiz

First Post
For those of you playing in my OD&D/Swords & Wizardry game:

If you are familiar with old school D&D, there's the version that uses variable weapon damage and d8 monster hit dice (this is probably the most familiar, as that's Basic D&D and AD&D, as well as Greyhawk Supplement 1 rules for OD&D)... then there's the version of D&D that uses straight d6s for all weapons/monster HD and character HP.

The new S&W Whitebox was just released and if I get it in time for the Gameday, I'll bring it with me. IF everyone really wants to go back in time to 1974, I'll run my OD&D with the d6 option (it's not going to change much for anyone, just a bit flatter of a power curve and the ability for everyone to one-shot/one-kill each other...) - OR - I can stick to the more recent variable HD/weapon damage.

I'm easy either way... there's tons 'o fun whichever way we go.

Michael

Chgowiz

First Post
Sorry, James, I missed the question in the evening.

We ended up playing the Greyhawk style, since I pregen'd for the variable damage/HD. It ended up going really well, especially mixing in multiple levels.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads