Priming the Pump: Cortex Prime Primer for Prime Umpires

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
I cant imagine how I'd use cortex prime. It seems like before running any setting I'd need to build everything, playtest it, etc. Every npc / antagonists would be a custom thing I'd have to build.
Ok maybe we should have a separate thread where we try out some samples.
I'm terrible with mechanics, but I can pretty easily see how I'd create most any game using Fate. I'm befuddled w/ Cortex.
Okay, so.

Yes, when you're planning on running a Cortex game, you're not really thinking of running any Cortex game. You're either thinking of running one of the pre-published implementations-- I cut my teeth on Marvel Heroic Roleplaying, but I've played... one of the Firefly games... and a few other umpires' custom builds-- or you're planning on building one of your own, and assembling the system is just like assembling the setting for a homebrew D&D game. The decision points are different, but they're not really different in kind or even in number; you just have to embrace these decisions as something that other games make for you, and you're going to have to make for yourself... even if you just follow another game's template, like I usually do.

The biggest decision, both in difficulty and in importance, is deciding what Trait Sets are going to be used in your game-- this is where you telegraph to your players what's important in the game, and these trait sets are going to do almost all of the mechanical heavy lifting in the game itself. I got started with MHR, which uses Distinctions (free-form descriptors), Affiliations (whether you're currently working on your own, with a partner, or with a team), one or two Power Sets, and Specialties. Mostly. All of these Trait Sets use the same d4-d12 scale. In vanilla MHR, Affiliations is important because they reflect character traits-- Spider-Man teams up with everyone but isn't a team player; Danny and Luke work best back-to-back; Captain America can knock over a HYDRA base with a Little League team-- and are also an unspoken balancing factor, with more godlike characters being devastating alone and fading into the background in an ensemble cast.

In Leverage, the core traits are Distinctions (always, just assume this) and... I forget the names, but they basically use D&D ability scores plus the heist role names from the show's introduction (Hitter, Hacker, Grifter, Thief, Mastermind) and... I don't have the books on-hand, but 3-4 sets is pretty standard. This emphasizes what you do, and how you do it, and importantly every character On the Job has some capacity in every role.

Now, I got started with MHR but... I pretty immediately wanted to start using it for games based on Marvel's eXiles comics from the turn of the century. It's a good setup for MHR with strangers, because every character is a cross between a canon character and an OC and you can turn pretty much any random wiki crawl into useful content. But it is a lot more difficult to use the Affiliation set meaningfully and... it always relies on some contrivance from the Watcher for maximum results, and everyone just has to buy into it, but the eXiles setup means it's almost always pure contrivance and it wears thin.

But as a game that throws people together from different universes and doesn't particularly respect their motivations or ethical frameworks? In a game that could have a team of cyberpunk vampire Captain America, Frank Castle the God Butcher, Doctor Octopus, and Wilson Fisk as the Iron Fist... a game like that gets a lot of mileage out of defining the characters' driving passions and their beliefs about the multiverse. Some dear friends who've played in my games before designed an MHR variant for their games that replaces Affiliations with Values (safety, glory, home, justice, violence, freedom) and freeform Statements that enhance rolls for adhering to them... and provide character growth for challenging them.

They also added Relationship Dice, which are consumable d6s assigned at the start of every Mission to a list of characters (including the other PCs) that reflect their personal connections with the versions of those characters from other timelines. It's a nice bit of foreshadowing for the Mission itself, and encourages players to come up with-- and disclose-- details about their characters' origins organically.

One of my favorite moves, as the sinister umpire that I am, is to throw a fairly standard Frank Castle into a Mission and encourage the players to trade their Punisher War Stories. A couple of Missions later, if the game goes that well... they get the Mission to stop Frank Castle the God Butcher from exterminating... Asgard.

The most stereotypical D&D build would probably look similar to Distinctions (always), Abilities (Sacred Six), the 4e notions of Role and Power Source, and Background/Theme with more detailed character stuff being SFX. Like a Fighter's cleave attack might allow them to roll an extra d6 per extra enemy they want to attack, and keep an extra effect (damage) die to damage them. (Which is a small increase to their chance to hit, a major boost to AOE damage, but increases their chances that something goes wrong.) A Paladin's divine smite might allow them to spend a resource of some kind (usually a Plot Point, but why not introduce D&D-style resources?) to add their Charisma (or Divine) die to a melee attack, keep an extra die for a status effect, and step both dice up by +1.

I mentioned that I prefer Cortex even to AD&D for running Planescape games.

All of the standard D&D trait sets are going to get weird and squishy when applied to The Multiverse and we need to make room for that sweet PS theme stuff. So we are going to take Abilities and Role and Power Source and we're going to combine them all. Warrior, Rogue, Envoy, Mage, Priest and Mystic if you feel like it. There's a deliberately a lot of overlap there, and you can always use the better die.

And then (blasphemy) we are going to combine our Distinctions with our Beliefs. These are player-selected, ranked from d6/d8/d10 (to start); one of them (optionally) is tagged as your Faction belief, and you can tag one for your divine patron, and up to two for your (sub)race/bloodline whatever. If what you're trying to do aligns with one of your Beliefs, you can roll the die for it; if it pretty directly contradictions one of your Beliefs you can triple that Belief die... but then you either have to revise the Belief, or lower it. This process fuels the Growth Pool you use to increase your other dice.

I'm a huge fan of Barbarians of Lemuria, and I keep trying to make a Cortex hack-- Abilities, (Non)combat Techniques, and Careers, with room for some kind of special sauce. Like some kind of fantasy martial arts.

My wife ran her first campaign (ever) last year, a locked-room murder mystery on the first intercontinental dirigible flight. The trait sets were Class (first/economy/steerage/officers/crew) and... actually I don't remember the others. The characters were an American industrialist (me) trying to "solve" the murder first to control the Big Reveal, the manager of the housekeeping staff trying to destroy the airline, and a charlatan just trying to get away with a different murder with his ballerina lover.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Super-specific point:

The beauty of the Cortex Prime system is how well it works regardless of which mods you use. The system is already play tested and balanced, you just need to pull together a few GMCs/antagonists, of which there are literally hundreds already prebuilt for the game. You just go through the list of mods and check Yes or No then go.

I think people get hung up on "what's the difference between Distinctions-Attributes-Skills versus Distinctions-Roles-Relationships and how will each break my game?!" way too much. The fact is, those (and any other combination) already works. Just pick what's right for your game. And best of all, if a trait set doesn't "work" for the feel of the game in play, then...just change it. Nobody loses, everyone wins.

Example: I play Marvel Heroic, but I love the interparty conflict created by Values. So I use Affiliations (Solo, Buddy, Team) during combat scenes, and Values (Courage, Duty, Glory, Justice, Liberty, Power) during non-combat scenes. Changes the entire dynamic of the "feel" of our sessions and what they are about, but has no real mechanical impact: you still just roll (at least) 3 dice, pick 2 for the total and 1 for the effect. And if there's ever a situation where both Affiliations and Values matter...then just roll that 4th dice. You still only pick 3 to resolve it...unless you spend a Plot Point!

Kannik

Hero
The beauty of the Cortex Prime system is how well it works regardless of which mods you use. The system is already play tested and balanced, you just need to pull together a few GMCs/antagonists, of which there are literally hundreds already prebuilt for the game. You just go through the list of mods and check Yes or No then go.

I think people get hung up on "what's the difference between Distinctions-Attributes-Skills versus Distinctions-Roles-Relationships and how will each break my game?!" way too much. The fact is, those (and any other combination) already works. Just pick what's right for your game. And best of all, if a trait set doesn't "work" for the feel of the game in play, then...just change it. Nobody loses, everyone wins.
This is a great point. Mechanically, the prime set choices will not break the game. It's thematically, narratively, and evocatively where they will greatly influence the genre, tone, and experience of play, which is what makes Cortex deliciously tailorable for each campaign style.

Take a post-apocalyptic desert setting; for Mad Max style high action, Approaches (or Attributes) + Roles can be great. For hardscrabble survival across the wastes, Attributes + Skills (+ Resources) would fit the bill. For community regrowth, Values + Relationships (+ Specializations) will emphasize this. For Tank Girl or Gamma World hijinks, Approaches + Powers would do the trick.

To note all of these will mechanically run very similar, but the game play will not feel the same as they each highlight what's important for each character (and to each character) and important for the story and tone.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
To note all of these will mechanically run very similar, but the game play will not feel the same as they each highlight what's important for each character (and to each character) and important for the story and tone.
I think once the Spotlight volumes reach distribution channels beyond the KS backers, I think that's when a LOT of people are finally going to "get" Cortex. Which is honestly about a decade late, unfortunately, but not like it can't be capitalized on by Dire Wolf once it finally does happen!

Unrelated(?) - I love that we can finally answer the ages-old question "how to D&D with Cortex?!" by showing people the Tales of Xadia book. (And better yet, they've kept the Rules Primer free!)

Aldarc

Legend
I think once the Spotlight volumes reach distribution channels beyond the KS backers, I think that's when a LOT of people are finally going to "get" Cortex. Which is honestly about a decade late, unfortunately, but not like it can't be capitalized on by Dire Wolf once it finally does happen!

Unrelated(?) - I love that we can finally answer the ages-old question "how to D&D with Cortex?!" by showing people the Tales of Xadia book. (And better yet, they've kept the Rules Primer free!)
Yeah, I'm hoping to see some more Spotlight volumes showcasing different ways people have hacked "magic." I understand that "magic" in Cortex Prime depends on what you want magic to do, but that advice is not exactly helpful for newcomers who are just looking for some basic guidance on how to hack the game since the aformentioned advice - "it depends..." - almost reads like a non-answer.

timbannock

Adventurer
Supporter
Yeah, I'm hoping to see some more Spotlight volumes showcasing different ways people have hacked "magic." I understand that "magic" in Cortex Prime depends on what you want magic to do, but that advice is not exactly helpful for newcomers who are just looking for some basic guidance on how to hack the game since the aformentioned advice - "it depends..." - almost reads like a non-answer.
Have you seen The Arcanist's Toolkit for Cortex Prime magic systems?

DammitVictor

Trust the Fungus
Supporter
This, really really this, but I'd suggest that it's not that every mod or every combination of mods is rigorously playtested-- they're not-- it's just that every mechanic is made of the same parts as every other mechanic. The scale of traits is always between 1d4 and Xd12, the number of traits is always somewhere between 3 and 5, and you can literally eyeball the relative potency of two different dice pools.

Cortex isn't a marvel of precise engineering, it's a marvel of robust engineering. (Pun not intended.) Game elements do not have to symmetrical or even comparable to work together.

For instance... you mention running MHR using different core traits for combat and noncombat encounters, and you testify that it works fine. You can have your NPCs and especially Villains using different core traits than your heroic PCs-- something I highly recommend for the eXiles games I run, because you're going to be writing a lot of homebrew Datafiles-- and the game will run fine. With a little improv on the umpire's part, you can run PCs from different Cortex games (using different Prime mods) together in the same session and they will largely work just fine.

You wouldn't normally want to, and it would feel weird, but it'd work.

If you want a resource attrition system like D&D, I'd suggest Usage Dice. You have X of them, they're dY, with X and Y derived from other traits. You can roll between 1 and X of them every time you "cast a spell", and every time you roll a 1 on at least one of them, or maximum value on at least one of them, you either remove one or step them all down (your choice).

Some magical effects have a minimum number of dice, some have a minimum value of dice, so losing dice is losing options.

Then, "casting a spell" involves assembling it out of temporary SFX which increase the chance of mishaps and the chance of reducing your spell dice.

"Cantrips" are just spells that don't require you to use any of your usage dice at all, so you can cast them when you're out of Usage Dice, and you can cast them without risking your Usage Dice unless you're deliberately heightening the effect.

Aldarc

Legend
Have you seen The Arcanist's Toolkit for Cortex Prime magic systems?
I have not, and I will certainly check it out now.

But I was speaking more towards how I have seen a lot of new people coming into Cortex (including the Discord) asking for advice on how they can do magic only to bounce off of it when they get told "it depends" or how great this truth is about Cortex. IME, truthful answers are not always helpful answers. And point new Cortex GMs to "everything" sometimes fails to speak to what they are often looking for, which is typically a starting point or some basic building blocks to get started.

FWIW, it took me a while to grok magic in Fate, but it took me pouring through all the examples in their own spotlights or other settings before I got a better sense for what magic could look like in Fate or how to mechanically express that.

Remove ads