Epic D&D 3.5: The Eye of Profane Truth [full]

Rkhet

First Post
D&D - Epic game: The Eye of Profane Truth

Story:

The former hero-king, Naramyr Wyrmslayer, has fallen from grace. On his forehead is the Eye of Profane Truth, the indestructible artifact prophesied to reappear every 500 years, always to bring great slaughter and turmoil. Even now, his great and terrible army marches against the Empire of Man, and his profane magic bends and corrupts the fabric of creation itself.

You are the creations of the Great Overgod, the Perfect, every one of you wielding immense power, his intended generals and proxies in the oncoming conflict - for he, himself, is unable to directly interfere in the mundane world without breaking it. It is a testimony to Naramyr's power that even as you are created from the purest of divine energies, your souls are corrupted by evil...

About the game:

This is intended as an epic game, set in a custom world. Truth to tell, I do not have most of the elements of the campaign down - I intend to make it up as we go along. Any suggestions, plot hooks, etc will therefore be welcome.

Players will be expected to post a minimum of 3 times per week. To make life easier for me, don't split up the party unless absolutely necessary.

This is a primarily Evil game. Those that are not comfortable with this need not apply. I swear upon my sacred DMing hat that I will not bluebolt anyone for anything they do, ever. There will be consequences for your actions, certainly, but they will be kept realistic in game terms.

The things I'm looking for in potential players, in no particular order:

1. Submit a couple of paragraphs about your character, along with the build. I'm looking for quality of writing and interesting character concepts, but also spelling and grammar (nothing spoils suspension of disbelief more than typos).

2. Ability to post at least three times per week. If you don't think you can make it, then don't apply. Thing with epic games is that I can't npc player characters, since they have so many options, so I'm looking for firmly committed players.

3. Crunchiness. You will be facing monsters much tougher than by-the-book CR30s. So you need to be well-prepared. I reserve the right to house-rule away anything truly gamebreaking, though.

Character Generation:

-4 characters, level 30, 40 point buy.
-max first HD, 75% the rest.
-neutrals and evils only. I would like at least 2 evil PCs.
-wealth: 5,000,000 GP
-no psionics (I'm not familiar with the rules. Too lazy to learn.)
-no templates.
-only races with "LA +x" entries will be allowed. (note this includes LA +0 races like Human).
-no custom items. Items will be as-is from the books. This means no switching item slots, no combining item effects, and no intelligent items.
-no epic spells. Too game-breaking.
-no crafting. Because pbp is slow, you probably won't get it done.
-no cohorts/followers/controlled undead. Hard enough to run a single char at lvl 30. Familiars, special mounts, etc. are allowed.
-no strongholds. you are only hours old.
-no partially charged wands/staffs/etc.
-you start with just enough XP for level 30, plus 5000. You cannot spend this extra XP pre-game.
-an inherent bonus to Int grants no skill points and no bonus language.
-casters that prepare their spells (wizard, cleric, etc) are assumed to have all the spells they need at no additional cost (unbalanced, i know, but simplifies bookkeeping.)
-Clerics and others that worship a deity has two choices: the Perfect, or an abstract ideal. Both have access to all domains. (the Perfect has no alignment and accepts followers of all creeds).

note that nonepic classes NEVER grant epic feats. Not even if you take them after lvl 21.

Also, pay attention to the feat requirements. Make sure you meet them at the level you take them. Especially the lvl 21 epic feat since many feats require skill 25 or higher, which you do not have.

Books allowed:

Core books
PHBII
ELH
'Complete' books
Book of Vile Darkness
Savage Species (items, spells, and prc's. Not monster progressions.)
Fiend Folio
MMII
MMIII
Races of Destiny
Races of Wild
Libris Mortis
Miniatures Handbook
Planar Handbook
For the 3.0 sources, get the 3.5 update booklet from the WoTC website. Get the latest Errata too, while you're at it. Nothing else from the website is allowed, though.

Books other than the above and Dragon mags are not allowed.

House rules:

Skills:
Checking skill points for level 30 characters is a pain in the ass. So everyone will get Able Learner (from Races of Destiny) as a bonus feat. Essentially, cross-class skills can be purchased at 1 point/rank, though the limit on ranks still apply.

Time Stop:
There is a hard limit on the maximum duration of Time Stop: 5 rounds. Metamagic is allowed, but any duration over 5 rounds counts as 5.

Gate:
Instead of limiting the max HD, this spell now limits CR: Max summonable CR = Caster Level, no higher than your own CR-2. You can use this spell to summon specific beings only if they are willing. XP cost = 300*(CR-20)(i.e. non-epic monsters are free).

Wish, Miracle, Limited Wish:
Regardless of whether this is a spell, spell-like ability, Supernatural ability or even Extraordinary ability, the XP cost always applies. Summoned/gated creatures cannot be compelled to Wish against their will, though negotiations are possible.

Mordenkainen's Disjunction:
1. This spell now requires a Dispel check, just like Dispel Magic. No upper limit on caster level. It is essentially a Targetted Dispel on all spells and effects in the area.
2. No longer destroys magic items, but instead suppresses them for 2d4 rounds on failed Will save. The save is applied once per creature (i.e. if you fail the save, all your items are suppressed.)
3. This spell works on Antimagic Fields the same way it works on other spells - i.e. dispel check to bring it down.
4. This spell has no effect on artifacts.

Shrink Item
No cheese related to this or the falling objects rules.

Weapon of Energy:
This spell cannot be used with Permanency.

Sadism/Masochism:
The maximum bonus you can gain from either spell is +4. You gain +1 for every 50 damage you deal/take, instead of 10.

Quill Blast:
This spell is removed.

Avasculate/Avascular Mass
Change to Fortitude Negates.

Divine Power:
This spell improves your non-epic BAB. It has no effect on your Epic bonus.

Massive Damage:
All Epic characters/monsters are immune to death from massive damage. Nonepic characters are affected as normal.

Bag of Holding, Portable Hole, etc:
Placing either inside the other has no effect. Same with bring them into a demiplane, Rope Trick, or the like.

Scrolls:
While epic versions will be available in-game, the ones you buy at the start has a maximum spell level of 9 and a maximum caster level of 20.

Ioun Stones:
Ioun stones are active when carried, just like Luckstones. I've always thought they looked stupid orbiting heads.

The following items are removed:

Core: Dust of Sneezing and Choking, Mirror of Opposition, Rod of Absorption, Lavender and Green Ioun Stone, Iron Bands of Binding
CA: Thought Bottle
MiniHB: Belt of Magnificence

Nightsticks are allowed, but the effects of multiple Nightsticks do not stack. The same limit applies to Ioun Stones and any other unslotted items that grant an unnamed bonus.

The following prestige classes are removed:
Illithid Savant

The following prestige class special abilities are removed:

Cosmic Descryer: Cosmic Connection
Perfect Wight: Shadow Form
Vermin Lord: Hive Mind

If you still wish to play these classes, alternative features can be discussed.

The following races are not allowed:
Ethergaunt (any)
Anything from the ELH

On ECL, HD, and the Epic bonus

Creatures and characters follow different rules.

Creatures with no class levels NEVER get epic bonuses. Their abilities improve at the normal rate forever.

Creatures can take Epic feats when their CR is over 20, and only from the 21st HD onwards.

The reason MM epic monsters such as the Solar doesn't have epic feats is to cut down on the books required to play. For mechanical purposes, I suppose you could say that the Solar opted for a non-epic feat in his epic slot.

Characters are subject to epic BAB/epic saving throws when they reach 20 HD. Before this BAB/saves are calculated normally, regardless of ECL.

The ELH is unclear on this, but I am going to rule that characters with LA cannot take epic feats before the 21st HD. This way ECL has no effect whatsoever on Epic goodies. Should save a bit of headache.

Finally, if you want your character to do anything that is shaky rules wise, it would be wise to ask me first, before the game starts.

<to be updated as necessary>

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
If any of the Four Originals don't show, or can't play, I'd love to give this a try!

I'll wait and see if there's a slot before submitting a character, if that's okay. It takes some effort to brainstorm concepts of that magnitude. :)

Steve Gorak

Adventurer
Shayuri said:
If any of the Four Originals don't show, or can't play, I'd love to give this a try!

I'll wait and see if there's a slot before submitting a character, if that's okay. It takes some effort to brainstorm concepts of that magnitude. :)

Same for me. Level 30 will require a LOT of work, so I'd like to be 2nd in line as an alt, after Shayuri.

Actually, I recall that I submitted a character for this game last summer. I may still have the file somewhere.

If I can't find it, I'll make up a LE Warlock/Ur-Priest caster type.

Cheers,

SG

Rhun

First Post
I would love to play in an Epic game, but I don't think I'd ever be able to find the time to put together a character. Sounds like a fun game, though!

Ferrix

Explorer
I know that silentspace was taking a break for a while from his own game and another game he was in. The only one I've seen active was Pyrex lately.

Lord_Raven88

First Post
Ferrix said:
I know that silentspace was taking a break for a while from his own game and another game he was in. The only one I've seen active was Pyrex lately.
I just finished checking and Albedo was last active on the 21/Sept/05 and Nephtys was alst active on the 3/December/2005, and Silentspace was last active on the 01/June/06 and Pyrex was last seen today.

So if Ferrix is correct then it is likely that only Pyrex will return which leaves open 3 spaces. :D

Azaar

Explorer
I'm game as well. Never played an epic level game before, and I'd really be interested in giving it a shot. I suppose I'll list in as an alternate, unless this isn't going to be first-come, first-served like most games tend to be.

By the way... what sort of characters were there before? Like dopplegangers, demons/devils, illithids, that sort of thing?

Last edited:

Lord_Raven88

First Post
I'm interested in playing Kilu 'Dark Slayer' Amu'umovioakaa a Goliath (LA+1) Fighter 4 / Wizard 15 / Spellsword 10.

Dark Slayer (so called due to his mission to destroy the darkness and chaos caused by the Eye of Profane Truth) is a greatsword wielding, platemail wearing, rock hurling, spell casting, tough-nosed Goliath, who single mindedly pursues his mission.

Dark Slayer is neutral evil and follows the philosophy of 'the ends justifies the means', so if it means that he must destroy an entire nation of people, to save the rest of the world, then he'll do it in a heart-beat, without a second thought.

Dark Slayer genuinely believes that he is doing the right thing, and will let nothing sway him from his course. Dark Slayer has a very simplistic way of looking at the world, if you aren't with him, them your against him.

~~~~

Opening his eyes, his first sight was that of the serene beautiful face of the Perfect, gazing down at his body in wonder Kilu looked up at his maker with eyes full of love and hope, then came the pain.

Doubling over Kilu vomited uselessly on the floor as his perfect body became infused with dark energies, the last thing Kilu heard was the shocked voice of the Perfect before the pain caused him to lose consciousness "The Profane Eye of Truth, it reaches out to corrupt my perfect creation, in the hopes of thwarting my plans".

Looking down upon his creation with sorrowful eyes the Perfect watches as it's flesh seems to warp and distort before his very eyes, his creation seems to swell with muscle and grow taller and thicker as each moment passes, it's flawless white skin darkens to a rock-like grey, even as the perfect watches, strange light and dark discolourations appear scattered upon it's flesh, finally coin-sized bone and skin growths appear over it's arms shoulders and torso.

Gone is it's lithe graceful form, replaced instead by it's new hulking body, kneeling down beside his creation the Perfect lays his hand upon it's chest "You shall be called 'Dark Slayer', you will be my sword against the Profane Eye of Truth, you and the others I shall create, shall search the lands to find the eye, and destroy it and its wielder, whatever the cost" a golden glow surrounds the Perfect's hand as he eases the pain the transformation left in its wake.

Opening his ruby coloured eyes, Dark Slayer gazes upon his creator for the second time that day, where once there was joy, love and peace, now all that remains is a dark purpose that fulls his heart, that and a profound sense of loss for what he could have been.

~~~~

As to what came before here is the previous Rogues Gallery

Remove ads