• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic DMs, how much ad hoc adjusting do you do?

the Jester

Legend
Hey, epic dms!

How much ad hoc adjusting of CRs, DCs, or whatever else (ACs and saves?) do you find yourself doing in your game?

In epic play, I find that I end up adjusting a lot of stuff- especially challenge ratings of advanced monsters, especially when I'm actually doing a full stat up (which is usually).

Please note, I am not talking about fudging the dice, I'm talking about making intentional adjustments to the numbers (usually in advance of play, I'd think). (In other words, "This supposed CR 30 monster only has an AC of 25 and 200 hp. I'm gonna ad hoc adjust its CR down by 2 to account for how fragile it is.")

As needed on a case by case basis. Its been awhile since I ran Epic, but there are fewer monsters out there. You need to either ad hoc to power them up, or create your own (and then maybe ad hoc it. :eek: )

Rystil Arden

First Post
In my experience, at Epic and Near-Epic Levels, the CR of the enemy is generally very poorly correlated with how hard it is. The only way to get a reasonable estimate is to playtest the encounter and play the part of your PCs. I've seen a CR 36 encounter that the party had no trouble with, and the same party was nearly TPKed by a CR 21.

Nail

First Post
the Jester said:
How much ad hoc adjusting of CRs, DCs, or whatever else (ACs and saves?) do you find yourself doing in your game?
Tons.

That is: Before the game, I'd compare ACs, Atks, Saves, etc with other Epic stuff. If it's out of line, I changed it.

I would NEVER fudge a roll in game. Combat die rolls are always rolled in front of the players.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads