• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic (not epic-level) Campaign

I'm looking for a good epic (i.e., long-term, save-the-world, interact with the same developed NPCs) campaign for D&D.

I only know of three published so far:

Necropolis
Return the the Temple of Elemental Evil
City of the Spider Queen

Are there any others? How hard would it be to convert Dragonlance Classics (War of the Lance, I believe) to 3rd? Has anyone done so already?

Which of these is the best (according to my criteria above)?

Ragnar

suggestion

You might consider the revamped Rod of Seven Parts box set that was released about four years ago. It's definately got a "save the world" flavor and wouldn't be too hard to convert to 3E.

mmu1

First Post
Well, it's a campaign setting, not a campaign, but Midnight has a pretty nice "Evil has won, it's the few remaining heroes against the world!" thing going...

Ron

Explorer
I played Return to the Temple of Elemental Evil to the end. It is not a bad module, but it becames tiresome after a while. There are extensive dungeons in it and, although the encounters are well thought, they became repetitive after a while. A shortened version would do much better.

I have Necropolis but I haven't played it yet. Production values are pretty good. If you go to RPG.net forums, a player is discussing his experience with the module, which appears to be pretty good so far. Here is the link .

Leopold

NKL4LYFE
I suggest running night below. It's got most of the conversion work already worked into it and it's another campaign that starts from 1st level and an take you to 20th level. At least that's what my players are doing.

Seravin

Explorer
A second vote for Night Below. But you'll want to decide how to run it. The conversions are great (thanks to everyone who did the work), but ultimately didn't completely work out for me.

If you want a fun time though, keep treasure and monsters as-is in the module (using 3e equivalents) and see where the characters go. My players are two-thirds the way through and are around 15th level. They'll be touching epic by the end. There's a horrendous amount of treasure available though - which is all that has kept the characters (mostly) alive.

Remove ads