• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Epic Problem : Prevention

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=Shayuri]*Your sheet lists the Ring of FIre Immunity as being your 'tertiary' ring, and that you wear the other two constantly, swapping out for it when needed. I don't recall you swapping out. If you point out to me where that was posted, I'll take back the damage.
Also, Rhodia failed the save, so doesn't matter *this time*

OH also, what's the 'spellmirror' ring do again?[/sblock]

[sblock=initiative]
Lochlan: 22
MasterMage: 20
Mary: 9
Athear: 8
[/sblock]

Lochlan brandishes his faith, flinging it like a weapon since he himself cannot approach. The lich doesn't seem to notice, but as Lochlan concentrates, a beam of white light focuses itself between them, and the lich shrieks in agony (58 damage, see OOC for details)

The Mastermage glances back and forth at the group, and chooses to focus his attention on the singer. Concentrating, he forces open a small pinprick in the air above him and you can all see a small stream of energy flowing towards him. (Mary see OOC) With a grimace, he flings his hand at her and a ray of dark energy flies at her (Athear, Rhodia, and Mary recognize an Intensified Ray of Enfeeblement). The ray strikes her (Touch AC 33, 22 str penalty) and suddenly her armour is too heavy to stand. Struggling for a moment, she drops to her knees then to the floor, and the Mage steps away from her, though seconds later it's clear that while SHE may be down, her voice will not stop. Instead it grows louder as she sings an aria of strength and gets back to her feet. She attempts to step forward but finds that she once again cannot move towards him, and grits her teeth in frustration.
Athear Lunges forward, his great maw clamping down on.. Air. His jaws stop, open wide as he bites the invisible bubble surrounding the mage to no effect. His faithful companion, meanwhile, brings herself back from the brink of death.

[sblock=ooc]
Pyrex - Yes, He can't fail it. literally. sorry, but he's kinda 'super mage.' Also, you can't possible turn him. HOWEVER, remember that little 'extra' I was giving everyone from the halfling's blessing when you came in?
Yours is Turn undead: If it doesn't turn them, it instead acts as a ranged touch attack (turn check = ac), and deals the 'turning damage' as 'holy damage'. Not much, but better than nothing in a case like this.
Shayuri - Frightful presence.... Lich.... sorry.
Darimaus - Sorry bout the dropping you, but your total gear weight is more than your max load with a str of 2. If you were to activate your STR buff song, you would be able to stand again. Either way you'll have to repost a dif. action for this round, and I'll update it.
That reminds me, are you just singing for 1 round then dropping it for the buffs, and letting the Duration on them go for however long? as far as I can tell the only one you're concentrating on keeping up is the Hymm of spelldeath.
What's the duration on the others?
ALSO, you recognize the pinprick above the mage as a Planar Connection (Cosmic Descryer). He's dealing himself LOTS of damage to ensure he can overcome your song for one spell.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Shayuri

First Post
(he'd swapped it during the big fight over the city...but you are correct, I should have been more clear about what effects I was using. Damaged he be! Also, Rhodia has a ring of spell turning too...I called it 'spell mirror' in the flavor text, but it's just a ring of spell turning. Forgot to include the action in my round summary.)

"Get clear, Rhodia!" the dragon demands, as he replaces the ring of protection with its far more powerful cousin to ward himself against fire.

Rhodia grows feathery wings of pure energy and leaps away from Athear, so the mage can't easily target them both with a single spell. Still carrying the staff, she gathers her forces around her free hand. A blinding white swirl of power builds around it as she draws more, and more. Just as the light seems to be coming from under her skin...as if she were about to be consumed from within by it...she lets it all pour from her hand in a roaring, frothing cyclone of celestial power that rages towards the mage!

(Athear swaps, and Rhodia flies 30' away to the left and unleashes an Empowered, Maxed Eldritch Blast for 90 damage + half of the total of 15d6. +25 ranged touch to hit.)

Darimaus

First Post
OOC: Sadly, my shield spellturns the ray of enfeeblement back onto its own caster. (And I did add it to my RG post last time you told us to).

Darimaus

First Post
Shayuri said:
(rays aren't affected by spell turning...it's an Effect. Weird, I know...)

Hmmm... Good to know, thanks. Damn, almost makes me feel I wasted a few million on that now :p

Instead, I'll use my swift action to employ my Inspire Excellence and give everyone +12 to Str, stand up as a free action using tumble (Didn't roll a One, I succeed) . Then I will proceed to wail on him. (See previous post with no bardic music. All attack rolls -11, and damage rolls -5).

Last edited:

Jemal

Adventurer
[sblock=ooc]*OK round updated and Mary's actions added.

Unfortunately, it IS an antilife shell, and as such since he moved away while you were down, Mary is in the same predicament she was last round.
On the PLUS side, he's now surrounded, so he can't move without breaking his abjuration.
Too bad Minathiel isn't still with you, Outsiders can walk right through these things.

ALso, Shayuri - isn't Rhodia one of those exalted warlock types? I thought they had a blast that did bonus damage vs evil outsiders and UNDEAD?
[/sblock]

Shayuri

First Post
*slaps forehead*

Leave it to me to space crucial details. :)

If it's not too late, she'll use a Spirit Blast...doesn't change her action, just adds 15 bonus damage to undead targets and would affect incorporeal beings with no miss chance.

Shayuri

First Post
As for Spell Turning, it's still very good against targeted effects, including ones that are darn hard to prevent in other ways, like Implosion. It'll also bounce nasties like Dominate Monster, and by some readings, a targeted Greater Dispel.

Far from useless against a mage, but it won't stop most blasties.

Darimaus

First Post
Shayuri said:
As for Spell Turning, it's still very good against targeted effects, including ones that are darn hard to prevent in other ways, like Implosion. It'll also bounce nasties like Dominate Monster, and by some readings, a targeted Greater Dispel.

Far from useless against a mage, but it won't stop most blasties.

And due to the fact I specifically made a high save character, that makes spell turning next to useless to me.

BTW, I just checked back, and that ray missed my AC anyways. I cast Sirine's Grace making my touch AC 39.

And if anyone can replace it with a mundane version, I'll give my sheild to someone else who actually needs it.

Last edited:

Pyrex

First Post
OOC: [sblock]
Jemal said:
Pyrex - Yes, He can't fail it. literally. sorry, but he's kinda 'super mage.'

No worries, I figured it was fairly likely he could get through my SR, I just wanted to make sure you hadn't forgotten about it. ;)

Jemal said:
Also, you can't possible turn him.

Yeah, I figured there was a pretty good chance I wouldn't be able to turn him, but with the Antilife Shell in the way I figured it was worth a shot.

Jemal said:
HOWEVER, remember that little 'extra' I was giving everyone from the halfling's blessing when you came in?
Yours is Turn undead: If it doesn't turn them, it instead acts as a ranged touch attack (turn check = ac), and deals the 'turning damage' as 'holy damage'. Not much, but better than nothing in a case like this.

How's that work when there are multiple undead within range? Multiple rays or pick one target?
[/sblock]

Lochlans eyes widen in suprise as the beam of light lances out to strike the undead mage. Now that he knows it's possible, he tries again.

Combat Effects
[sblock]

HP: 437/437 +60Temp
Turn Undead: 3/23 used

Divine Vigor: +60 Temp HP, Spd 40
Inspire Excellence: +12 Cha
[/sblock]

Remove ads