Level Up (A5E) Equipment (starting armor) for Clerics

AdamDray

Explorer
Please pardon me if this has been covered. A forum search turned up nothing for me.

What's with clerics and armor proficiency and starting equipment?

All three Equipment packages for clerics include armor (scale mail for Holy Warrior, chain shirt and shield for Righteous Combat, padded leather for Spiritual Protector).

The cleric class grants no Armor Proficiency by default. The Warpriest archetype grants proficiency with all types of armor, but Healer, Oracle, and Sun Priest do not. At 1st level, two of three options for Defensive Blessing grant armor proficiency.

(Characters may wear armor with which they are not proficient, but they may not cast spells when wearing it.)

Are we to assume that a cleric who isn't a Warpriest and who takes the Armor of Conviction choice for Defensive Blessing would likely bypass the starting equipment package entirely and just take the 125 gp starting gold instead? I can't image that they'd carry it around and put it on for certain battles where they expected to be martial fighters and not spellcasters.

Xethreau

Josh Gentry - Author, Minister in Training
The default option is starting gold by class. The equipment packs are suggestions, and you less their value from your starting gold. If you like one of those options and you don't like the armor, you can just reimburse yourself that armor's cost.

Remove ads