Eschton [mature] IC - Calling Arabesu

Voidrazor

First Post
Nephtys said:
Melanoce smiles, admiring his demeanor, and snoops about briefly in his business.
If there's any serious dirt on him, he's managed to keep it off of the Psi-web. Reviewing his history, its pretty clear that Argus has very good information sources. Whenever problems or opportunities arise, he has apparently always had plans in place to create the optimal outcome for his world. Lately he has been purchasing a signifigant amout of military-grade equipment using personal funds. But he's storing it offworld and it took quite a bit of digging to track down what the expenditures were on in the first place.

Nephtys said:
Melanoce attempts to make the impression of giving the offer some serious consideration before gracefully declining. "I am afraid there are too many unknown variables, too many factors beyond my control. Your offer is generous, and thoughtful, but I cannot conduct any so controversial operations at this time. It is not a moral judgement, simply a practical concern. Besides, my infrastructure is unsuited for the temporary connections that this sort of transaction would require.
I am, however, willing to conduct business with you and your honoured associates on a more permanent basis. I have considerable resources for facilitating mid- to long-term interplanar trade and some financial expertise as well as excellent connections. There is likely much I can do to make your other operations more efficient and profitable.

ooc: Dip 80, Bluff 51, Sense Motive 48.
"We are amenable to a long term arrangement. We have stated ... er ... what terms do you require?" The frustration in its psychic voice is clear. But you think there is something else off as well.

[sblock]
Nephtys said:
Before departing to the party Melanoce begins investigating the potentialities of establishing a system of permanent gates on 1-5 locations on 20-30 different worlds and dimensions, all portals linked together via 1-3 central hubs on the more significant locations. She's looking to make the most of correcting any current inefficiencies in interplanetary trade between stable and reliable partners.
And makes plans for bying a Mirror of Mental Prowess for enabling more temporary traffic.
Would you be setting that up under your own name or a corporation? Are you going to hire for the day-to-day work or just use worker bots? Do you want to make any special arrangements with the Citizens of those planets? You can certainly find worlds that would let you set up shop immediately as an individual without making special arrangements, but there is more potential profit to be made by negotiating deals with more restrictive Citizens.

You could get a hold of a mirror immediately, but with the investment on Tran'sa 'Kuul that would put you about 14% over allotment.

OOC - I'm gonna see if a couple more PC's decide to go to the party before I run it. But I'll try not to hold things up too long.
[/sblock]

Last edited:

Nephtys

First Post
Voidrazor said:
"We are amenable to a long term arrangement. We have stated ... er ... what terms do you require?" The frustration in its psychic voice is clear. But you think there is something else off as well.

"It is simple. The specific arrangement that you propose is not suited for my resources. I cannot set up a permanent network in support of an operation that takes place under such risky conditions. Doing so would undermine my profit-margins to the point of pointlessness. Have I not understood you correctly? You want me to transport your cargo directly from the world it was harvested against the will of the resident Citizen, who happens to be a very potent spellcaster with considerable resources of divination at their disposal. By its very nature this is impossibly a long-term arrangement.
Now, is there anything else I can do to help you gentlemen?"

[sblock]
Voidrazor said:
Would you be setting that up under your own name or a corporation? Are you going to hire for the day-to-day work or just use worker bots? Do you want to make any special arrangements with the Citizens of those planets? You can certainly find worlds that would let you set up shop immediately as an individual without making special arrangements, but there is more potential profit to be made by negotiating deals with more restrictive Citizens.

You could get a hold of a mirror immediately, but with the investment on Tran'sa 'Kuul that would put you about 14% over allotment.

A little of both actually. Since she'll be running several separate, but connected, networks I'll use different corporations for the different networks. But especially prestigious contracts, or contracts involving the Government she will operate in her own name.
The worker bots should be sufficient for the physical work, but I'll hire some managers and clercs for the paperwork. I do want to work direectly with the Citizens to the greatest possible extent, but if necessary I'll set up operations alone.

Imagine the physical arrangement like this: Each network is like a bicycle-wheel without a rim. Every point on each end of a spoke representing a portal, all of them connecting to the central hub. Imagine some of those spokes attaching to another hub, connected trough that point to several other spokes (portals). Around each of those hubs are arranged the portals likely to have the greatest traffic with the other portals around that hub. At each end of the spokes is a secure warehouse with enough space to accomodate the trade, at the hubs those warehouses are directly connected to each others.
Traffic trough the portals and inside and between the warehouses are handled by the fastest and most efficient form of conveyor belt futuristic technology has to offer.
[/sblock]

Vertexx69

First Post
Voidrazor said:
Even as the rhythym, full of cleverly designed subsonics, takes ahold of Serraphina's pulse, she notes the header on the next call in the queue. Argus Oloriel Staraeon, Governor of Kal'e'zant was inviting her to a party. She had heard that his affairs tended to feature delightful dichotomy of opportunities and diversions. But RSVP'ing right this moment was going to require some concentration, as Aethero and Maerealia were grinding up against her in a most distracting fashion.
Allowing herself just a couple of songs, which actually didn't help her longing to disappear for several days, she put on a brave face. -Dammit. I really need to attend that party too. He's been planning it for months- And as the music faded after much too short a time she kissed the two goodbye and signaled to Jenner that it was time to go. Pouting she met him halfway to the door. "Sometimes the universe is just out to ruin a girls evening of fun."

Outside the limo slid up silently as Jenner reached out for the door. "And you wouldn't have it any other way miss. You don't have to worry until they stop calling." Serraphina demurely lept into the backseat and hit her sub-con again. "Governor Staraeon, Thank you for your gracious invitation. And I'm pleased to say that, since my latest negotiations have closed ealier than expected, I would love to attend." Linking Jenner in to that snippet of the conversation, he relayed the destination to the driver and poured her a drink.

Voidrazor

First Post
Shayuri said:
Once she's sure she's in the right spot, Sigil asks her nymphly follower to use a calm eddy of the river to cast Scry, using the first name given to her by the redcap as a focus. While the nymph does that, she and Alastor the unicorn pace the area, looking for anything out of place or out of the ordinary. If one of the abducted redcaps dropped something, she brings it to the scrying water spirit, to enhance her spell.

Finally she asks Alastor to make a pass using his innate power to sense the lingering taint of evil. A long shot, but potentially useful. Sigil herself uses her sensitivity to magic to scan for magical power that might have left an impression in the area as well.

When the scrying is complete, successful or not, Sigil asks the nymph to question the animals in the region, the birds and beasts, to see what they saw, what they remembered.

(The search, part 1: Nymph, who is Druid caster level 7 like all nymphs, can cast Scry! She does so. Meanwhile, Sigil tries Search and Spot checks, with the unicorn Aiding Another in the same. Finally doing sweeps with Detect Evil from the unicorn and Detect Magic from Sigil...both are usable respectively at will... And the nymph can cast Speak With Animals when the scrying has completed. That do for a start. :) )
The nymph returns from her pool visibly distraught, "I have failed you my queen. The connection started to form but would not clarify. I cannot be certain, but no ward was discernable. I think the redcap was just too bull-headed abd bloody-minded to contact. Wherever, it was seemed incredibly distant." A grin steals pver her features, "Maybe they're on the moon, hehe. Would you like me to try again tomorrow?"

By talking with nearby animals the nymph is able to track down the area where the abduction ocurred. There is nothing unusual on the ground, but the animals report having seen strange lights in the sky. There is a faint magical residue in the air but its very strange, not corresponding to any of the standard schools.

Voidrazor

First Post
Avalon® said:
Seeing as the troll didn't budge, Karnak tries a different tactic: tactical withdrawal. He moves through the space inbetween two of his opponents (if there is any or else he tumbles through their squares)
You tumble through easily, the cut and electrical burn on your leg starting to mend even as you move. But your battle-hardened retainers follow close on your heals. Two of the Valkyries lash out with incredible speed, bringing both of their respective blades into play. While most of the blows are easily deflected, one of the Valkyries and one of the Trolls manage to land lucky blows (21 damage total).

Voidrazor

First Post
Nephtys said:
"It is simple. The specific arrangement that you propose is not suited for my resources. I cannot set up a permanent network in support of an operation that takes place under such risky conditions. Doing so would undermine my profit-margins to the point of pointlessness. Have I not understood you correctly? You want me to transport your cargo directly from the world it was harvested against the will of the resident Citizen, who happens to be a very potent spellcaster with considerable resources of divination at their disposal. By its very nature this is impossibly a long-term arrangement.
Now, is there anything else I can do to help you gentlemen?"
"You are referring to divination resources, whose? Cargo pick-up is to be in-system but off-planet. But what Citizen do you refer to?"

[sblock]
Nephtys said:
A little of both actually. Since she'll be running several separate, but connected, networks I'll use different corporations for the different networks. But especially prestigious contracts, or contracts involving the Government she will operate in her own name.
The worker bots should be sufficient for the physical work, but I'll hire some managers and clercs for the paperwork. I do want to work direectly with the Citizens to the greatest possible extent, but if necessary I'll set up operations alone.
OK, first up on your list of valuable potential clients is Xonorius Gödel a Megrezaan (former humanoids that uploaded themselves to robotic bodies centuries ago) with a reputation for ruthlessness. You may decide to skip hir entirely, but hir world possesses a number of mecha/robotics technologies available nowhere else.

OOC - 'Hir' is a non-gender-specific personal pronoun, as is 'zee'.
Nephtys said:
Imagine the physical arrangement like this: Each network is like a bicycle-wheel without a rim. Every point on each end of a spoke representing a portal, all of them connecting to the central hub. Imagine some of those spokes attaching to another hub, connected trough that point to several other spokes (portals). Around each of those hubs are arranged the portals likely to have the greatest traffic with the other portals around that hub. At each end of the spokes is a secure warehouse with enough space to accomodate the trade, at the hubs those warehouses are directly connected to each others.
Traffic trough the portals and inside and between the warehouses are handled by the fastest and most efficient form of conveyor belt futuristic technology has to offer.
Sounds good. The most efficient technologies available to achieve the ends of a conveyer belt (Teleport networks, temporal manipulation, and matter phasing) would be pricey to prohibitively expensive. But something that works pretty much along the lines of a modern day conveyer belt with futuristic bells and whistles would be no problem.
[/sblock]

Nephtys

First Post
Voidrazor said:
"You are referring to divination resources, whose? Cargo pick-up is to be in-system but off-planet. But what Citizen do you refer to?"
"You did not expect me to do some intelligence work on this before even considering your offer? Do not waste my time dissembling. It is all fairly obvious. Which Citizen do you think I'm referring to?"

ooc: Bluff 51, she suspects, but now she wants to trick them into confirming her suspicions.

Voidrazor said:
OK, first up on your list of valuable potential clients is Xonorius Gödel a Megrezaan (former humanoids that uploaded themselves to robotic bodies centuries ago) with a reputation for ruthlessness. You may decide to skip hir entirely, but hir world possesses a number of mecha/robotics technologies available nowhere else.

OOC - 'Hir' is a non-gender-specific personal pronoun, as is 'zee'.
Sounds good. The most efficient technologies available to achieve the ends of a conveyer belt (Teleport networks, temporal manipulation, and matter phasing) would be pricey to prohibitively expensive. But something that works pretty much along the lines of a modern day conveyer belt with futuristic bells and whistles would be no problem.

Sounds excellent, Melanoce contacts hir. Does she know of any potential clients who would be willing to purchase these technologies? Who are professional enough to keep quiet about it and wealthy enough to pay a good price?

ooc: You mentioned during character-creation that Mecha technology was considered somewhat restricted military hardware. Implying that common citicens were prohibited from owning such goods. Yet she knows that Mr Starzaeon and now this Xonorious Gödel are both in posession of the forementioned goods. How much trouble could she get into (considering her Diplomatic and Intelligence-gathering skills) from dealing with such goods?
-
Initially she's content with setting up the more affordable, yet efficient, system of conveyor belts. If traffic should get too congested along certain profitable lines she'll upgrade the technology accordingly.

Shayuri

First Post
Sigil nodded, controlling a rush of frustration. She'd hoped this would be easier...confound the redcaps and their paranoia! Still...if they weren't shielded, that was encouraging.

"Go to your sisters," she instructed the nymph, "Tell them to prepare to scry tomorrow morning. If I have not found whoever took them by then...then you can each scry for a different missing redcap. Go with Alastor, back to the grove now. I'll return to the palace shortly."

As the nymph and unicorn ran back off towards the rising tree and spire, Sigil shot upward, following the strangely...bland...flavor of magic that rose into the air. She rose until either the magic signature gave out, or until the air grew too thin...then clicked her heels to teleport back to the palace.

Making her way swiftly to the Sanctuary, she placed the mirror's eye at the spot she'd left off, looked all around to see what could be seen, then repositioned it at the fringe of the first cast's seeing range to look again...soon the eye was well past where the air was gone, and the stars were always out, but still she sought something strange. A star that moved against the sky, perhaps. Colors or patterns of light. Something that implied that there was intelligence here.

Shayuri

First Post
Recieved over Psi-Web:

"Lady Sigil, I must begin by offering my sincerest apologies for waiting until now in offering my compliments to you, your many accomplishments and your beautiful planet. Such purity is an enviable thing, and also extremely marketable if handled with due care and respect. It is my small talent to master the humble business of the Marketplace and it has come to my attention that you seek to broaden the base of Kaydia's economy as well as usher in some needed modernisations to improve the quality of life for your people.
As a close neigbour and fellow citicen I understand some of the challenges of your position and I would love to help you and lovely Kaydia in any way I can. Please consider this an invitation into a long and prosperous relationship.

Your, Melanoce of Otajan 5 "

--

As Sigil took a break from the mentally exhausting task of leapfrog scrying, she allowed a psi message to occupy her attention. It came from a new voice, piquing her interest. She played it a few times, experiencing each word as a food critic might a four star meal...searching for flaws; for duplicity. Obviously the flattery was merely a polite formality, but that was to be expected. Melanoce seemed to understand her basic goals, which was good. A few checks on the Psi Web revealed that while Melanoce held considerable assets and a fairly large company, that it was still Melanoce in control. This Sigil also found reassuring. Companies ruled by boards seemed...soulless to her. And hard to talk to. She composed a response...

"Your apology is appreciated, great Melanoce, though Kaydia is a small and quiet world, and I do not take offense at the delay. Asa we are neighbors, and share many of the same interests, I'm sure, your offer intrigues me. Please accept my invitation to dine at my palace on Kaydia, so I may show you some of what my world has to offer you, and the other worlds of Eschaton."

She appended a small blank RSVP form along with a request for any special culinary/atmospheric needs to the message, then sent it on its way. A few minutes later, she returned to the Looking Glass to resume her scrying of the orbit space above the site of the abduction.

Nephtys

First Post
Shayuri said:
Recieved over Psi-Web:

"Your apology is appreciated, great Melanoce, though Kaydia is a small and quiet world, and I do not take offense at the delay. Asa we are neighbors, and share many of the same interests, I'm sure, your offer intrigues me. Please accept my invitation to dine at my palace on Kaydia, so I may show you some of what my world has to offer you, and the other worlds of Eschaton."

She appended a small blank RSVP form along with a request for any special culinary/atmospheric needs to the message, then sent it on its way.

"It will be my pleasure, graceful Sigil. I shall attend you at the soonest possible mutually convenient time, but before that I hope to meet you in person at the Starzaeon banquet."

Remove ads