• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Essentials Displacer Beast Up

Mesh Hong

First Post
Well its another very simple creature, it looks like it should work well and be a dynamic addition to an encounter. As you would expect multiple Displacer beasts would work well together darting about and slapping people with their tentacles.

I quite like the Displacement mechanic but is it better than the previous one? Personally I think that I would stick with an additional roll to determine hit or miss to maintain some uncertainty and highlight the ability. As it stands a player will figure out what is going on and realise that because they have rolled an odd number in their attack roll it has already missed. But that really is just personal taste, the mechanic they have gone for keeps things down to the usual number of dice rolls.

Additionally I find the old “recharges when the Displacer Beast moves 2 squares” to be a lot more flavourful than “recharges at the start of its next turn”. It allows the PCs to corner one (or slow/immobilise it) and hammer it while it is vulnerable, allowing good PC tactics like this creates better monsters.

Anyway that is my assessment of the new Displacer Beast.

erf_beto

First Post
Mechanics aside, am I missing the part of the text that says it has 6 legs?
It's quite ironic when you consider the article's introduction... :D

Davachido

Explorer
Just a thought about odd and even, if a wild magic sorcerer rolled an odd number and used one of his powers to turn the roll to as if it was even for the sake of his own powers. Would this then cause the DB to be hit as the roll is now technically even?

Dice4Hire

First Post
Just a thought about odd and even, if a wild magic sorcerer rolled an odd number and used one of his powers to turn the roll to as if it was even for the sake of his own powers. Would this then cause the DB to be hit as the roll is now technically even?

I was thinking of wild mages, too.

I would say no, as the text seems to say it is just for effects, not for actual hit or miss.

But would be a cool special ability, so I might allow it. It certainly would not come up much.

Jhaelen

First Post
I like the mechanism. If they had thought of it earlier it could have been used for insubstantial monsters, as well (instead of having everything dealing half damage against them).

Remove ads