Essentials : What to Use and What to Lose? Can of Worms

Of course, HotFw already establish 'Tuahta' as feywild-born humans, but that's no impediment to having the Pantheon actually /be/ Fey, and Eladrin could easily be the many Tuatha who were implied to exist, but never portrayed as divine.

Would it be a reversal of the myth, with the Tuatha de Dannan coming to Erie from the Feywild and being driven back there, rather than being native to the world and driven inside the Sidhe?

Would the Fir Bolg come into it?

I've completely blurred the line between Fey & Arch Fey (I quite liked the Sidhe Lord idea) and Fey & Deities, and the Feywild and Arvandor, actually. The PC party is all fey, and they've visited Arvandor. I was like "it feels exactly like the Feywild, you can't place where in the feywild you are, not that that's ever a given, but it definitely seems like you're there, you don't feel the 'Dominion' pulling at you like you did in Celestia or Hevastar..." The non-fey Exalted of Arvandor didn't glow, they just seemed to be fey. The exalted /did/ come back from the dead the next day after The Glorious Hunt, most of them, anyway. But that's not exactly unheard of in the Feywild, either.

I'd already established that time and geography barely mean anything in the Feywild, and had several adventures that illustrated, dramatically, the many worlds/one Feywild concept.

The Feywild, or I usually prefer to call it just 'The Land of Fairy' is a fun place. We've established in a couple of campaigns that there is no such logic there as "If you can go from A to B, then you can go back from B to A by retracing your steps" it just doesn't work that way, you literally won't end up back at A, and there might not even BE a practical way to get back. It also might involve strange juxtapositions in time, like ending up back at A 50 years later, or maybe before you started!

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
The Feywild, or I usually prefer to call it just 'The Land of Fairy' is a fun place. We've established in a couple of campaigns that there is no such logic there as "If you can go from A to B, then you can go back from B to A by retracing your steps" it just doesn't work that way, you literally won't end up back at A, and there might not even BE a practical way to get back. It also might involve strange juxtapositions in time, like ending up back at A 50 years later, or maybe before you started!

I've combined the Feywild and Shadowfell into The Otherworld. Works well.

Garthanos

Arcadian Knight
Some times the Fey have weird relationship with Death.... they literally can see and talk with the entity death who has prescience about various deaths of course , they do not age or die but rather become tortured by severe injury and cannot get surcease from wounds so they become howling bean-sidhe on the borders betwix planes predicting the death of their blood-line ( or actually the mortal branches for fae blood does mix with others) but they are personally always forever in pain.... a really messed up afterlife story for that one more related to becoming un-dead.

I think the Bean-sidhe could be seen as special fae, seers who cannot die.

You could make a race class out of them... instead of the usual monster.

Last edited:

doctorbadwolf

Heretic of The Seventh Circle
[MENTION=996]Tony Vargas[/MENTION] the line between our world and The Otherworld is, generally, fairly thin, and there is more overlap than in standard DnD. Some places are more like Manifest Zones in Eberron, where the world is both our world and The Otherworld, while others you have to do something to go from one to another, and in still others you can't move Between without great risk.

Because Between is a place, too, and it is not empty.

As for the Tuatha, there is some blurring, and colloquially people call most humanoid "pretty"* Fey, Tuatha, while Fey use the right terms.

The old myths are pretty close to accurate, as I first used this setup in my alt history earth setting, Crossroads. A world where The Morrigan made a deal with Mordred to help him beat his treasonous half brother Arthur, and by binding herself to his line, ie they made babies together, she brought The Otherworld closer to our world, and his kept magic from fading. People call her The Queen Mother, now, amongst her many other names.

So, the relationship between the Fomorians and Tuatha is pretty much the same, and the Fomorians are of the same race as the Jotuns and the Titans. I don't know enough about the Fir Bolg to have found a place for them yet.
[MENTION=82504]Garthanos[/MENTION]: great observations. In my worlds, Odin and Lugh are definately separate beings, but they also definitely get along. I've toyed with the idea of Lugh being the same being as one of Odin's brothers, though, along with either Thoth, or maybe finding a SE Asian or Indiginous American deity for he third brother.
[MENTION=82106]AbdulAlhazred[/MENTION]: there is definitely still a distinct world of the dead, but it's hard to say how strongly it is connected to parts of The Otherworld, or if it really is separate in terms of DnD planes, or just very concrete and hard to get in and out of areas of the Ltherworld. The Norse Nine Worlds definately exists, though. Jotunheim was the setting for a big adventure we had, and is home to a race of Leonid dragon people, as well as Goliaths, Trolls, Ogres, and some others, besides the Giants and Titans and Fomorians. and mega fauna.

The World Tree itself can be visited as a world, and is an infinite forest where every tree is part of The Tree.

Remove ads