• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

"Evade the Blow" do you avoid the attacker's hit?

Rangers, and iirc, some others, get abilities in 4th ed that read like this:

EVADE THE BLOW
When your enemy launches his attack, you leap out of the way, leaving your foe to hit nothing but air

Immediate Interupt, personal
Trigger: an enemy hits you with a melee attack
Effect: shift 1 square away from enemy.

The flavour text suggests you AVOID the attack damage completely. But the rules do not actually state this! Duh?!

I know it's an immediate interrupt, but you get the point?

I'm taking that it's simply over sight on the editor's part??

Nifft

Penguin Herder
I guess the point is: if you're adjacent to a foe with reach, this won't be enough to negate the attack; however, you get to Shift anyway, if you so desire.

Cheers, -- N

fnwc

Explorer
Silverblade The Ench said:
The flavour text suggests you AVOID the attack damage completely. But the rules do not actually state this! Duh?!

I know it's an immediate interrupt, but you get the point?
You avoid the attack if the shift causes the attack on you to become invalid (since you may be out of range). An immediate interrupt happens before the trigger occurs -- in this case, being hit. If you were hit by an attack that would still work when you have shifted away, then this power would do nothing.

The Little Raven

First Post
I'm taking that it's simply over sight on the editor's part??

I'd say it's an oversight on your part. It does exactly what it says: interrupts their attack to allow you to shift, thus possibly negating the hit entirely.

Zurai

First Post
No, it's pretty clear.

Rule for immediate interrupt: Occurs before trigger.
Trigger for Evade the Blow: When an enemy hits you.
Result: You move before the enemy hits you but after it uses its action to attack you.

The Little Raven

First Post
Assuming many players to 4th ed are newbies to D&D, NOT having that being clear, is *BAD*, k? :)

If they RTFM, they'll understand it. Between the general rules for immediate interrupts and the specific rules for ETB, it's pretty clear.

Nifft

Penguin Herder
Assuming many players to 4th ed are newbies to D&D, NOT having that being clear, is *BAD*, k? :)

the effect text should be:

You shift 1 square, and the attack misses, provided the attacker doesn't have Reach ability.

hm? :)
No. Yours may look clearer to you, but it's actually wrong, while the one in the book is correct.

Your re-write would grant a critter with Reach the benefit of attacking you even if you used your interrupt to move out of its reach.

Just understand how interrupts work, and the rest follows.

Cheers, -- N

Makaze

First Post
Also if an opponent has a power like "If an adjacent enemy shifts you may shift one square" as an immediate interrupt it can be used to counteract Evade the Blow.

Remove ads