• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is LIVE! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Someone

Adventurer
"Where will this task take us if we accept? Also, have you ever heard of a ship called the Night Serpent, or of Captain BloodLung and his first mate Carnivore?"

"No, it's the forst time I ever heard those names mentioned. says the man.

"You can call me Noris. I'm in charge of the personal guard of a noble whose mansion lies to the north of the city. He prefers to not make a fuss about this matter and I respect his wishes, though I fail to see any shame on what happened."

"To make the tale short, a band of savages assaulted the mansion and stole a relic of great personal value from it. My master wants it recovered, and since I can't spare more men from guard duties I came here looking for help."

Neil1889

First Post
"To make the tale short, a band of savages assaulted the mansion and stole a relic of great personal value from it. My master wants it recovered, and since I can't spare more men from guard duties I came here looking for help."

Lilli looks up from the book she's reading from her nearby table, her curiosity peaked. "Savages? Odd. Would you mind enlightning us on the nature of the relic?"

JoeNotCharles

First Post
Tarkus strides across the room toward the newcomer. "I am Tarkus, called the Crusader," he booms. "I have dealt harshly with many savages! I'd be glad to pursue these thieves for your lord. Although," his enthusiasm wilts a little. "Juna has forbidden me from violence. Perhaps I'm not the best for this task after all..." He slumps dejectedly into a chair.

Someone

Adventurer
Lilli looks up from the book she's reading from her nearby table, her curiosity peaked. "Savages? Odd. Would you mind enlightning us on the nature of the relic?"

”Well, I might have misled you with the ‘savage’ thing. They weren’t wearing palm tree skirts and voodoo masks if that’s what you’re thinking, but they did the savaging part just fine. Several of my men died.”

“About the relic, I’m not supposed to be telling this, but it’s a staff. Some say it’s magical, though if it does something nobody knows what it is. It’s used mainly for ceremonial stuff.”

Tarkus strides across the room toward the newcomer. "I am Tarkus, called the Crusader," he booms. "I have dealt harshly with many savages! I'd be glad to pursue these thieves for your lord. Although," his enthusiasm wilts a little. "Juna has forbidden me from violence. Perhaps I'm not the best for this task after all..." He slumps dejectedly into a chair.

”I may say, if you’re forbidden from violence it’s going to be hard to do the crusadin’”

Karlowitch

First Post
H.M.Gimlord said:
The fifth ale goes down, and a bit late to the conversation, Mikara interrupts, "Dijoo scahay yoower schkrewed?" she chuckles drunkenly, "I'd schay yoo are iffyoo take thisch job!"

The animated head catches his friend admiring Mikara " what's up with you buddy ? ". Ryan blushes as he is caught by his obvious rudeness " It's nothing... I just like a woman that drinks like a reckless dwarf before a fight! " he says and afterwards burps in appraisal of the elf.

Someone said:
”Well, I might have misled you with the ‘savage’ thing. They weren’t wearing palm tree skirts and voodoo masks if that’s what you’re thinking, but they did the savaging part just fine.

Both Randal and Ryan exchange amused glances. Enemies dressed in palm tree skirts and wearing voodoo masks would have been a interesting sight.

JoeNotCharles said:
"Juna has forbidden me from violence. Perhaps I'm not the best for this task after all..." He slumps dejectedly into a chair.

Ryan nudges to Tarkus and whispers " well lad, you could always let the them attack you first " and the warrior sends clerics a defiant expression. " I think she wouldn't mind one of her crusaders defended himself from brigands. As always, the choice is yours. "

JoeNotCharles

First Post
"It's..." Tarkus heaves a sigh. "It's more complicated than that. I've recently realized that I've been trying Juna's patience for too long, and so She's sent me a message. I'm trying my best to do Her will, but the habits of a lifetime are hard to undo.

Perhaps it would be better if I wait to see who else joins you. If the best crew you can gather seems under strength for the task, I'll come along and protect them as best I can. I can give tactical advice as well. But I will not fight, not even in self defense. Juna has forbidden it. It may not be fair, but I believe it's just."

Tarkus stutters slightly as he says the last, as if he does not really believe it deep down and he is struggling to sound sincere.

Neil1889

First Post
“About the relic, I’m not supposed to be telling this, but it’s a staff. Some say it’s magical, though if it does something nobody knows what it is. It’s used mainly for ceremonial stuff.”

"Really? How curious. Legal ceremonies, magical or religious? Do you know where these murderers went or came from?"

Someone

Adventurer
"Really? How curious. Legal ceremonies, magical or religious? Do you know where these murderers went or came from?"

Noris shrugs. "They use it mostly in formal times. When there's an important visit, name-giving ceremonies to newborns, weddings, whenever it's 'not sticking fingers in nose' time."

"As for where they went, I don't know for sure. There were men working on that when I left, picking trails and investigating old ruins. You may learn more if you agree to come back with me and help recovering the staff."

The fifth ale goes down, and a bit late to the conversation, Mikara interrupts, "Dijoo scahay yoower schkrewed?" she chuckles drunkenly, "I'd schay yoo are iffyoo take thisch job!"

Vyrna's eyes narrow at the drunkards comment, but a slight smirk can be seen upon her lips.
Well if that's how she feels...

Looking at the man offering the job to her new one and...an eighth(?) companions, she suddenly stands up.

"I'll take the job."
Besides, I could use a good meal...

Then, turning to Ryan, "You're coming, aren't you? Bring your friend too, we'll be a-head of the game."

At the end of her comment, she made sure that Randal was looking at her before giving him a wink. She wasn't quite sure why, but the animated head was starting to grow on her. Perhaps she was simply intrigued at the idea of a(n) (un?)living head holding his own, or perhaps she just wanted to find out why he wasn't hurt by the holy water so that she could use it toward her own ends. Only time would tell.

Voidrunner's Codex

Remove ads