Even Newer(er) Tavern Thread: The Hanged Man

Llama_Bill

First Post
Krav laughs before replying, "I don't think you would do well preaching to me anyway. I'll ask anything that listens, better odds that way. I like the god that is keeping me alive but not the one that helped me lose some silver last night." He starts on his boar that had just arrived and starts asking some questions politely between bites, "What is the Thought-War if you don't mind me asking?"

pacdidj

First Post
Having left some time ago to go check on her nephew down at the hospital, Auntie Mab returns to the tavern looking tired and bedraggled from the long walk down to Saint Jeronel's. A small brown rat follows her in, leaving a trail of black soot in its wake. The elderly woman wipes her brow with a faded floral-print handkerchief, and mutters to herself, "Now where are all these lucrative adventures Luran promised? That hospital bed isn't getting any cheaper, and my coinpurse is looking thin and pitiful..."

The rat sits back on its haunches, sniffing the air for a moment, its nose scrunching up as it detects a peculiar odor. It then spots the source of the acrid smell. Pointing to the dragonborn sitting at the bar, and the two holy men conversing with him, the little rat arches an eyebrow and utters a tiny *Squeak!*

"Ah!," whispers the old woman, eying the three shrewdly for a moment. She then nods to herself and ambles over to the bar. "A glass of lemonade please love," she calls to the barkeep, "I'm terribly thirsty. Oh, and another whiskey for Tristram," she says pointing to the rat who has scampered up into one of the barstools.

She quickly finishes her lemonade and breathes a satisfied sigh. Then turning to the three patrons at the bar as if seeing them for the first time she says, "Why hello dearies! A pleasure to meet you. The name's Mabbeth, Mabbeth Tarmikos, but you dearies can call me Auntie Mab. My, my," she says, studiously noting their weapons and armor, "you three must be a seasoned pack of adventurers or I'm a stuffed selkie."

"What a dangerous profession!,"
says Auntie Mab, her voice full of admiration, "All that dungeon delving, princess saving, vampire slaying, and dragon's den looting! You know you can never be too careful, or too prepared in your line of work. Always helps to know what you're up against... Say!," she says as if suddenly struck by an idea. She pulls out a deck of cards and sets them on the bar with a mysterious flourish of her hand, "Would any of you like a reading? Auntie Mab is very wise in the ways of destiny! Perhaps I can give you the crucial insight that'll save your skin on your next subterranean sojourn. What do you say?," she asks, looking expectantly at Krav, Karma, and Xander.

[sblock=ooc]Auntie Mab, level 1 human rogue (warlock), approved and still looking for adventure![/sblock]

Last edited:

Cute-Hydra

First Post
Karma spins around to look at the newcomer, his sparkling eyes bright with interest "Insight is what I am good at, but it can never hurt" he picks a card, the middle one.

While waiting for Mab to make her reading he turns back to Krav, "Knowledge is power, the fighter who realizes this is the one to truly fear. Brute strength can only get you so far before it one day fails, but strength reinforced with the tactical knowledge of war makes you unbeatable as you can reliably perform as you know why.
The though-war is an ongoing battle between two forces who seek to use information and insight in different perspectives. For example a Lich who uses his extensive knowledge to preserve his own life is making a grave abuse of his knowledge and to that end we act to protect people from powerful information by any means. In that sense it is a war of thoughts and how people seek to use them."

Karma smiles and turns back to Mab letting Krav think it over for a few seconds. "So Aunt Mab, what have you got for me?"

pacdidj

First Post
Auntie Mab watches as Karma draws a card from the deck, and peers at it as he sets it down on the bar. "Ah, the eight of stones," she says, voice full of mystery and portent, "It is a card of knowledge, method, and learning. But it's reversed, dearie! It seems that the greatest obstacle you face in your next adventure may be your own impatience, or ignorance of the broader situation. Here, let Auntie Mab take a look at your hand."

Before Karma can react, the old woman grabs his wrist, moving alarmingly quickly for one so elderly. She stares at the palm of his right hand for about a minute, hemming and hawing to herself all the while. "Hmm... yes... mmm-hmm... I see... Ah, just as I suspected. Look here," she says pointing to one of the many lines on the holy man's hand, "See this rough spot right here? That's a break in your head line dearie. It means you've got a difficult and troubling decision to make in the adventures ahead of you. But with methodical patience and careful consideration you'll pull through. None of this brashness you adventurers are famous for! Just take it slow and try not to rush things love," she proclaims with a self-important nod.

"There now," says Auntie Mab holding out her hand expectantly with a hopeful smile, "that's worth at least three gold crowns, don't you think? Or, for ten crowns I'll do a full Allarian Cross Spread to give you even more great and profound insight into the mysteries of your future. For Auntie Mab is very wise in the ways of destiny!," she finishes with a flourish of her left hand, while still holding out her right in the expectation of coin.

Cute-Hydra

First Post
Karma smiles and drops a platinum crown into her hand. Good advice no doubt, even if the circumstances you predict failed to come true that advice is such that would be wise to consider. Indeed if destiny even exists it is only a fool who doesn't exploit the information relevant of their own. Karma then calls for another drink, watching the rest of the room intently as he does so,

Llama_Bill

First Post
Krav laughs to himself and says with a smile, "For ten gold crowns I could pay a god to change my luck." From his tone you can tell that he's joking. He cuts off a chunk of boar and offers it to the rat, "Tristram is an impressive name for a rat, I like it makes him seem important." "My name is Krav nice to meet you. You don't look like my others aunts, are you on my mother's or father's side?" adds Krav while he offers his hand to Auntie Mab.

DMDanW

First Post
As the tall Dragonborn walks into the bar Xanders raises an eyebrow and looks upward the ceiling. This one looks as if can bring glory to your domain.. he thinks to himself, or more accurately says to his divine lord Maros.

He remains silent and casually listens to the conversation between Karma and Krav. He slightly cocks his head as Karma asks about Kravs religion and is immediately disappointed at the answer. Before Krav asks Karma about the Thought war Xander speaks up. "From the look of your armor and the patchwork of scars you have won much favor with Maros" he says trying not to sound too evangelical. "The name's Xander Kain and I am a chosen of Maros. It is an honor to meet you Krav".

Just then the old lady with the rat walks in and over to the bar. Xander cannot help the puzzled look that crosses his face as he does not know what to make of this peculiar old lady. As she pulls out the tarot cards and 'reads' Karmas destiny Xander rolls his eyes and lets out a slight snort of disbelief. He remains silent though, except to order another ale and three more shots of liquor from the barkeeper.

Llama_Bill

First Post
"I either have his favour or he is trying to get rid of me. Both those ideas lead to blood being spilt and there has been a lot of blood." replies Krav still with a smile on his face. He then continues, "It's nice to meet you; two preachers and no one is preaching to me. I think we all deserve a drink on such a rare occasion."

[sblock=OOC]
If you want to during the adventure you might have a chance of converting Krav to Maros (just a little) as he enjoys the fighting and adventuring. Sorry Karma but I think Mireva is a bit too Army of Jade for Krav.
[/sblock]

Voda Vosa

First Post
The earth warforged starts walking outside. "Perhaps in the future there will be a call from the Earth. Now, I'm loosing my time." He crosses the door, just when a man of green and yellow robes gets in. The nimble man dodges the massive warforged, looking back at the creature as he enters the tavern. He sports a big beard, well tended, and a ponytail. His features and manners are unerrangly from the Empire of Jade.
The jadite exchanges a few words with the bouncer and then annoyingly proclaims. "Sheng of the Zin clan, mothers hide your dauthers, and all that." he waves his hand and walks in, straight to the bar. "Rise, in a bowl, and wine. Good wine not the dog urine you use to serve here. And quickly, I'm not in the mood for waiting."

pacdidj

First Post
Karma smiles and drops a platinum crown into her hand.

Auntie Mab eyes the coin suspiciously for a moment, then bites it to check its veracity. She mumbles to herself, "Never seen this kind of money before. Hope they accept it down at the hospital..." She slips the coin into an inside pocket of her cloak, and as she moves the fabric you can't help but notice several pockets sewn to the inside of the faded, threadbare garment that contain what appears to be a complete set of kitchen knives.

Remembering her manners, the old woman says to Karma, "Oh, yes. Thank you dearie. May fortune's blessing be upon you, and all that."

"Tristram is an impressive name for a rat, I like it makes him seem important."

"Now, now dearie. Don't go giving him too many compliments. He's got a big enough head already. Thinks he's Joven's gift to rats he does."

At this the diminutive rat sits back on his haunches, puffs out his chest, and gives a highly offended and indignant *Squeak!*

"My name is Krav nice to meet you. You don't look like my others aunts, are you on my mother's or father's side?"

Auntie Mab gives a small chuckle and favors the dragonborn with an amused smile as she shakes his hand. "I should think not dearie! It's just what people call me: Auntie Mab. They call me that because... well... well, because I don't have any children of my own, and I live by myself you see. That, and I'm the only one in the whole world my poor little neffy Yenros has to look after him, ever since his family was killed, and he slipped into a coma and ended up in the magical afflictions ward over at St. Jeronel's. Or, maybe it's just because Auntie Mab sounds better than plain old Mabbeth," she says, trying to maintain her cheerful tone, but looking a touch more subdued after bringing up the subject of her nephew.

Last edited:

Remove ads