Even WOTC doesn't know the rules to d20 Modern

Falkus

Explorer
That's too funny. Just a little more proof that the d20 Modern nonlethal damage rules are pretty badly written.

The d20 Modern nonlethal damage rules allow my players, while infiltrating enemy bases, to quietly knock out guards in a single hit. DnD subdual damage rules would force them to spend five rounds wailing away on the guy before he dropped.

Ranger REG

Explorer
Falkus said:
The d20 Modern nonlethal damage rules allow my players, while infiltrating enemy bases, to quietly knock out guards in a single hit. DnD subdual damage rules would force them to spend five rounds wailing away on the guy before he dropped.
Only if you ignore the application of Massive Damage Threshold.

The thing with d20 Modern is you DO NOT keep track of nonlethal damage. By keeping track AND applying MDT, you have two options of knocking out your opponent, be it quickly (by exceeding MDT and the victim fails Fort save) or eventually (If nonlethal damage > current HP, then he's down).

Falkus

Explorer
he thing with d20 Modern is you DO NOT keep track of nonlethal damage. By keeping track AND applying MDT, you have two options of knocking out your opponent, be it quickly (by exceeding MDT and the victim fails Fort save) or eventually (If nonlethal damage > current HP, then he's down).

And if you do that, you make the brawl chain of feats overpowered. Two feats will give you the equivlant of four levels in martial artist.

takyris

First Post
Falkus said:
And if you do that, you make the brawl chain of feats overpowered. Two feats will give you the equivlant of four levels in martial artist.

That's been my argument. People running the game with accruing nonlethal claim that it doesn't make that big a difference -- an armed opponent gets an AoO, and the damage isn't high enough, apparently, to be unbalanced.

As I said, that's what people who've run the game with those rules claimed. Can't say that myself, never having tried.

Really, the stupid Tarrasque could've come over to d20 Modern just fine by changing the word "Regeneration" to "Fast Healing". "The Tarrasque heals XX hit points per round, and continues to do so even if reduced to -10. Only by reducing the Tarrasque below -10 hit points and then completing the Kill-Tarrasque incantation before the Tarrasque's hit points reach positive numbers can the Tarrasque be permanently killed."

Voadam

Legend
d20 modern doesn't do very well on monster stats. Check out how many natural weapon monsters have iteratives in the various SRD entries. Very inconsistent.

Still, throwing a chemical toxyderm as an alchemical elemental in my D&D game was fun.

Remove ads