• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Everlasting provisions vs Endless canteen?

BigCat

First Post
I just noticed that everlasting provisions (Player's handbook) costs 840 gp and feeds and waters 5 people, whereas the endless canteen (Adventurer's vault) costs 4200 gp and provides just water. Am I missing something? Did one of these get errata'ed?

vaultdweller

First Post
If you're only interesting in keeping your party fed and hydrated, then there's no reason to get an Endless Canteen when Everlasting Provisions are available.

However, the Provisions produce enough water for 5 people once per day. The Canteen produces 1 pint of water at-will, as frequently as you want. Thus, the Canteen can potentially have other uses.

bganon

Explorer
The endless canteen makes 600 pints in an hour (the water is said to disappear if not consumed by then). That's 75 gallons every hour (about 2.4 US beer barrels, according to Google). It's enough to keep a small army (a few hundred soldiers) alive in an otherwise lethal desert environment, which could be awfully useful to a paragon-level character. It's also enough water to keep a 10'x15' room permanently soaked to an inch deep.

It's basically a toned-down version of the "Decanter of Endless Water" from previous editions. Which, used creatively, was a infamous for practically destroying worlds (or at least campaigns).

Last edited:

I'm hard pressed to see nearly 3,500gp's worth of extra uses though.
Making an entire village next to a gold mine but with no nearby rivers viable?

Endless Provisions are tailored for an adventuring party and in practive solve bookkeeping. The Endless Canteen has strategic uses and can provide water for literally dozens of people.

Remove ads