D&D 5E Everyday Heroes corebook + Cinematic Adventures line is on Humble Bundle for $18

Libertad

Hero
It includes 9 sourcebooks plus a 25% off coupon for other Humble Bundle purchases.

The books on file add up to $189 in value. Barring the Vault Rules Compendium and some small PDF only products such as free adventures, this is practically the entire Everyday Heroes product line published at the moment.

I would definitely recommend it. Quite a few of the products have rulesets that can work beyond the setting franchises, such as Rambo for military-style campaigns or Universal Soldier for cybernetics and near-future tech.

Autumnal

Bruce Baugh, Writer of Fortune
I haven’t seen a lot about the system. I was a very big D20 Modern fan, but don’t know much this is like that. I wonder what the classes are like, how much real support there is for non-combat activity (could a group that never kills be viable), and like that.

Morrus

Well, that was fun
Staff member
I haven’t seen a lot about the system. I was a very big D20 Modern fan, but don’t know much this is like that. I wonder what the classes are like, how much real support there is for non-combat activity (could a group that never kills be viable), and like that.
It’s basically a 5E version of d20 Modern.

Libertad

Hero

Good news, I made a review for it here. Well, I mostly covered character creation, but I'm quite impressed with the system overall.

I'm also regularly posting builds I made using it and the Vault supplement, to show a taste of what kinds of characters can be made in the system.

Regarding nonlethal damage, the book is rather vague on the issue overall besides one rule where you can choose to knock someone out when your melee attack would reduce someone to 0 hit points. There are several weapons that deal damage but are presumed to not kill by default, notably tranquilizer rifles and TASERs.

Regarding non-combat stuff, the bulk of the rules are still geared towards combat things, but unlike base 5e there's quite a bit of non-combat abilities that don't just default to spells. The mental Hero classes in particular excel at this. The physical Hero classes are a bit more restricted in this matter, although the Vault (which compiles the rules from all the Cinematic Adventures line) gives quite a few classes that have more utility such as the Tough Hero's Survivalist.

It’s basically a 5E version of d20 Modern.

Not only that, several of the authors for the D20 Modern have worked on it, such as Stan! and Jeff Grubb.

Libertad

Hero
That includes all the variant rules like Duels and what not in the Cinematic Line too, right?

Yes. They do not include the adventures in the books or references to the IP of specific lines, rewording things to be more generic. For instance, instead of talking about Jaegers (Pacific Rim), they use the more broad term "mechs." The Vault also has new material not published in the other books, although I wouldn't say the $25 price tag is worth it in case you already have all of the Cinematic Adventures line already. Sigfried Trent (one of the game's designers) on the Drive-Thru RPG page mentioned what's in it that isn't in other books:

There is some new stuff. It's far from the majority of the book, but I added in a number of things that were either promised during the Kickstarter or where requested/suggested by fans. Here's what's unique to this book.

1. Two new Career Paths (Crime and Office Work) these are like choose your way professions if you haven't seen the one in Rambo (Special Forces)
2. A class called Everyday Hero which can be played with any archetype and is kind of a build your own class, class.
3. Level 0 play rules, which includes a level 0 archetype and how to go from level 0 to level 1.
4. A set of rules for playing level 0 kids which has a series of mini classes like Smart Kid, Tough Kid, etc...
5. A set of rules for extending play past level 10.
6. A number of new monsters and robots to replace Kong/Pac Rim specific NPCs.
7. A small set of errata and additions for the core rules (pretty minor adjustments).

Weiley31

Legend
Yes. They do not include the adventures in the books or references to the IP of specific lines, rewording things to be more generic. For instance, instead of talking about Jaegers (Pacific Rim), they use the more broad term "mechs." The Vault also has new material not published in the other books, although I wouldn't say the $25 price tag is worth it in case you already have all of the Cinematic Adventures line already. Sigfried Trent (one of the game's designers) on the Drive-Thru RPG page mentioned what's in it that isn't in other books:
Nice. I especially like the fact that they have rules for going beyond level 10.

Remove ads