• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

D&D 5E Everyone happy the starter set will be based in the Realms?

Are you happy about the starter set being based in the Realms?

• Yes.

Votes: 45 26.5%
  • No.

Votes: 38 22.4%
  • Don't mind either way.

Votes: 87 51.2%

Obryn

Hero
I played ... only 2 short sessions before I started DMing. So I guess I don't really count.

But it was 1983 and the Red Book with Keep on the Borderlands, so can I sneak in on a technicality? :eek:

drjones

Explorer
I'm fine with it. I know some have a fondness for greyhawk but it has no character in my mind beyond the trappings of dnd in general. The realms is much more identifiable for better or worse. Also it is generic enough that modifying it to fit homebrew should be pretty simple.

Ruzak

First Post
I'd never heard of Dungeons & Dragons until my mom bought me the Mentzer red box at KB toys. She and my sister amused me by playing a few days later.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Show of hands: How many DMs out there cut their teeth DMIng without ever having played?

Now, in the old days I could understand believing that a "new" DM might be "stuck" using the "inherent" setting. But these days? The genre is drowning in different settings.

At least WotC hopes so. Why else would they do a Starter Set clearly aimed at beginners, without character creation, e.g.

The Starter Set sounds like "here, get this and try out RPGs" to me.

I can't imagine that groups new to RPGs just throw out the setting provided with the set. OK, they probably don't do a lot with it beyond using the names, but the FR seed is sown.

Well, as long as the adventure doesn't feature Elminster, Drizzt and other FR notables sitting there munching and slurping while observing the adventurer, I, for one, don't care.

Jan van Leyden

Adventurer
Really? You never played any RPGs at all before you began DMing?

Well you are the second person I've ever known of you started DMing without ever having played. By the of chance, did you start in '74 too?

Make that (three) #(n+1). When I started in '83 RPGs were pretty much unheard of in Germany. I got the Basic Set, 1e AD&D shortly thereafter and built my own groups.

Evenglare

Adventurer
Probably hates the Realms and is caused pain deep in his hearty heart by every new fan that was, is, or shall be.

Really? You never played any RPGs at all before you began DMing?

Well you are the second person I've ever known of you started DMing without ever having played. By the of chance, did you start in '74 too?

When 3e came out I got the DMG and PHB, and my other friends got PHB and I began DMing and they began playing. I had never played a tabletop RPG in my life before then.

Serendipity

Explorer
If I had any intentions on buying the thing (which I don't) the whole Realms thing would be a big turn off. As it happens, I'm not so it's moot.

Remove ads