Everything D&D Ever - Temple of the Frog

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Absolutely!

Some world info on gnomes...

They don't exist in the traditional way other races exist. A gnome is a fey spirit wrapped in mortal flesh, drawn from the feywild into places in the mortal world of high magical concentration. Thus, there are no gnome children and no gnome communities. Each gnome is a unique and magical individual. Gnomes are often curious, inquisitive, and more than a little mischievous, yet also naïve and easily manipulated. Gnome names are either a string of syllables that the gnome thinks is fun to say or an emotion that the gnome most identifies with (or enjoys creating in others), like Joy, Avarice, Elation, or Sorrow.

Sounds great, and appropriate for what I'm thinking.

I'll go TWF, though I'm open to alternatives (with all this magic I think we've got ranged covered, yeah?; it's surprising how viable all the styles are.

Character to follow.

Kobold Stew

Last Guy in the Airlock
Supporter
Lilly (forest gnome sailor fighter 1)
(in progress)

Str 8 (-1)
Dex 16 (+3)
Con 14 (+2)
Int 15 (+2)
Wis 12 (+1)
Cha 10 (0)

Size: small
Speed: 25
Vision: Darkvision 60 feet
Languages: Common, Gnome
Alignment: CG

Hit points: 12
AC 15
Proficiencies: all armor, weapons, shields, navigator’s tools, vehicles (water)
Saves: Str, Con
Skills: Acrobatics (+5), Insight (+3), Perception (+3), Athletics (+1)

Fighter things:
Style: twf
Second wind (bonus action to regain 1d10+1 hp, 1/rest)

Gnome things:
Advantage on Int, Wis, and Cha saves vs. magic
Cantrip: Minor illusion (DC 13)
Speak with small beasts.

Sailor things:
Feature: Ship’s passage

Characteristics:
Personality: I enjoy sailing to new ports and making new friends (3)
Ideal: Freedom. The sea is freedom… (3)
Bond: In a harbour town, I have a paramour… (4)
Flaw: My pride will probably lead to my downfall. (6)

Possessions: 26gp
Trinket (rabbit’s foot).
Studded leather 45 gp 13lbs
2 shortswords 20 4
light crossbow 25 5
bolts (80) 4 6
bolt case (4) 4 4
backpack 1 5

not bought food, etc. yet; just confirming that normal encumbrance rules (and not the p. 176 variant) are in place?

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
So, in case you were curious what the overall campaign outline looks like, here you go. Yes, it is huge. I'm taking it one adventure at a time so if it stalls at any point, I can pick it back up later. Note that while these are separated out into various eras, because we are playing the adventures in publication order (with a couple of exceptions here and there), some of these will overlap and crossover a bit, especially in the 2nd Edition era.

Note that this outline is just a basic overview and subject to change based on PC actions.

Also note, obviously, there are spoilers afoot here.

[sblock]Phase One

Blackmoor

Phase Two

Classic Greyhawk and Known World Adventures

Phase Three

Dragonlance - The Third Dragon War, Gods ascend.

Phase Four

Time of Troubles - The new Gods have gotten out of control and have to be reined in.

Phase Five

Spelljammer - The Dragon Empire threatens to return for a fourth dragon war, prompting a conflict in space.

Phase Six

The Grand Conjunction - The Shadow Realm threatens to intrude on the mortal world.

Phase Seven

Timescape - As a result of the Grand Conjunction, temporal rifts begin forming that must be repaired by traveling through them into different era's of Earth's history, culminating in the 1890s and a confrontation with the Red Death.

Phase Eight

Dark Sun - The confrontation with the Red Death fails, or at least seems to, creating an alternate timeline in which the shattering of the Crystal Prison had an even more catastrophic affect on the world and magic now actively damages life.

Phase Nine

Greyhawk Wars - In the core timeline, meanwhile, war has erupted among the various nations.

Phase Ten

Wrath of the Immortals - In the core timeline, the wars among mortals escalate and are revealed to be manipulated by the Gods, with a final confrontation between deific factions at hand.

Phase Eleven

From the Ashes - In the aftermath of the Greyhawk Wars and Wrath of the Immortals, the world of the core timeline slowly rebuilds.

Phase Twelve

Council of Wyrms - Meanwhile, in the Dragon Empire, after suffering a defeat at the hands of the fledgling spelljammer crews of Earth, the Empire suffers conflicts and setbacks from within as various clans and factions attempt to usurp power from a weak new Emperor.

Phase Thirteen

Planescape - In the aftermath of Wrath of the Immortals, the city of Sigil is erected to allow easier travel to the realms of the Gods. Factions begin to form as mortals bring their conflicts to the divine realms.

Phase Fourteen

Birthright - The new kingdoms formed from the ashes of the Greyhawk Wars begin jockeying for influence, power, and territory.

Phase Fifteen

The Summer of Chaos - The Red Death again attempts to alter time, this time creating a second alternate timeline in which the Dragon Empire won the War of the Lance but then a magical shift caused magic to behave strangely, creating a bizarre new world.

Phase Sixteen

Arcane Age - In an effort to thwart the Red Death, time travelers once again travel back in time, this time to the world as it existed a few hundred years after the fall of Blackmoor.

Phase Seventeen

Planeshifting - Events in the planes begin to hint at a greater threat to the Gods themselves, as the modrons march and dead gods plot their return. These events culminate in a war between the various factions. There are hints of a greater conspiracy, however...

Phase Eighteen

Vecna! - The ancient and powerful lich Vecna is revealed to be the villain behind many recent events, using the power of the Red Death to escape the Shadow Realm and make an attempt at taking Sigil. Meanwhile, in the mortal realm, The Apocalypse Stone is discovered...

Phase Nineteen

Ashardalon Rises - The ancient Emperor of the Dragon Empire, the one who shattered the Crystal Prison and made Earth what it is now, plots his return.

Phase Twenty

Eberron - In the decades since first Vecna and then Ashardalon's plots were defeated, the world has changed. The warforged created during the Apocalypse Stone wars are now free, and magic has finally been fully embraced by some nations.

Phase Twenty-one

Red Hand of Doom - In the frontier lands, a horde of humanoids who worship dragons begins to stir.

Phase Twenty-Two

The Empire of Shade - A new threat emerges that utilizes the power of the Shadow Realm to corrupt magic itself.

Phase Twenty-Three

The Third Rise of Orcus - The demonlord Orcus sets into motion events that culminate in attempting to usurp The Raven Queen, the goddess of death who ascended at the end of the conflict with the Empire of Shade.

Phase Twenty-Four

Gamma World - Orcus's attempt at godhood briefly reawakens the dormant Red Death, whose mad dreams open a time rift, creating a new alternate timeline in which the shattering of the Crystal Prison resulted in a bizarre post apocalyptic world.

Phase Twenty-Five

The Sundering - The Red Death returns and unhinges time completely, resulting in all alternate timelines chaotically intertwining. The timelines must be set right once and for all to restore the core timeline.

Phase Twenty-Six

Tyranny of Dragons - The Dragon Empire returns, resulting in the Fourth Dragon War.[/sblock]

Last edited:

fireinthedust

Explorer
Hah! I deeply respect ambition.

I would strongly suggest taking this game one encounter at a time. I've finished literally four games in twenty years of gaming.

Also, I know I signed up for going through modules... but I'd be happy simply having a stalwart group of companions as the focus rather than events. If we're going across country, I'd like us to have a wagon caravan. If we're going across the ocean, I'd like to have a ship we return to. If we stay in one location, one village that's our home turf, or a fortress we call home; or if it's a city campaign, we have an Inn with trophies above the fireplace; or, like, Coney Island in "The Warriors", I dunno.

Or at least a party name, like "The Brotherhood of the Bloody Blade" or something.

That said, if we have a theme to the campaign, whatever it is, that should help things. Like the series franchise, like how Buffy is the Slayer (chosen one), or how Harry Potter and co really hate Voldemort, or in The Hobbit they've got that dragon kicking about, or that Ring that doesn't go with any of their outfits and is just too expensive so it's *got* to go...

Oh, and a villain! Someone we need to punch, like Lex Luthor or the Joker: not undefeatable, just really hard to pin down, and really, really has it coming.

And someone or something precious, that we care about. One adventure I had in 4e, the GM had us hired by this hunchback halfling (no, seriously. I think we called him a half-halfling or something, he was short and uuuuugly) to fight in an arena. Thing is, we RP'd so well he stretched the training montage into a massive thread of adventures. We met his family, saved the other halflings, fought surreal origami rats inside some guy's head, had a rival band of adventurers that we fought off (I intimidated this one ranger with a hook-hand at a tavern; total bluff, great dialogue, and then rolled a 20). It was nuts. The important thing, though, was that we had this halfling hunchback to look out for. Loved it!

Love the inclusion of Council of Wyrms ideas! And the space element is kind of similar to something I'm working on for a story of mine, and a setting or story of my own.

I'm tinkering with that spell list. And the name. And part of me wants to try an elf or a Tiefling, but I like my human guy as is, mostly. Regardless, he's 100% going to be a Wizard, with Witch Bolt, and some other spells that explode things.

So I'm ranged explosion lightning guy, who knows stuff and likes books. And has a familiar (probably an owl, possibly a monkey or cat).

Herobizkit

Adventurer
Based on what [MENTION=51930]fireinthedust[/MENTION] just said, I would love for us to have an Airship as a base of operations. At the very least, that gives the Sailor something to do should we not be near any oceans. And there's just something majestic about a group of destined heroes floating in to various areas to change/make history. Reminds me of the feels the Weatherlight gives from the Magic:The Gathering series.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
Fireinthedust, I respect your enthusiasm but...

I have two goals here - 1. play through every published adventure for D&D and 2. see if I can squeeze as much of the publish campaign setting material into one setting as possible, mainly by tweaking it until it fits together.

So, airship isn't going to happen until the Eberron era many many many adventures from now.

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
No, not any more slow than PbP usually is anyway.

This adventure will go from level 1 to about level 10 or so.

Then we will advance the timeline 10,000 years, create new 17th level characters and take on the Tomb of Horrors.

Then we will create a new batch of 10th or so level characters and take on the GDQ series, advancing to probably level 20 by the end.

Then we will...

Well, you get the idea. ;)

KirayaTiDrekan

Adventurer
All, I am so sick my face is turning inside out. I will not have anything coherent to say until, hopefully, tomorrow...might be longer, though.

fireinthedust

Explorer
Module focus: Fair enough. And lots of ideas for my own games are coming to mind, so that's good.

That said, will be be only using what's in the modules, or will we assume that all the modules exist in the same universe? Example: if we somehow survive the tomb of horrors, move into the time of troubles, could we use the tunnels of the ToH during the ToT module, say? (not that anyone would want to, as it's full of horrors, but it's hypothetical)

Will there be a single village we always return to, do we keep the artifacts from the various modules, or will they vanish in-between "episodes"? Like, if we did White Plume Mountain, and got that spiffy sword I'm told is in that module (never played), could we then use it while battling our way through the Throne of Bloodstone series? or Wield the Rod of Seven Parts in one hand, with Stormbringer in the other, when fighting Lolth in the Queen of the Demonweb Pits (another module I haven't played through)?

To be clear: I'm good to give this a try, I just want to know heading in so that I'm asking the right questions for the setting and campaign. So I'm good to keep going, I just want to know.

Remove ads