• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Evil temples in good(ish) cities.

Morte

Explorer
Hi, I wonder if somebody could help me with a general question on D&D since I'm building my first homebrew campaign in a D&D setting, using the Forgotten Realms Campaign Setting.

I'm starting to build a campaign in and around Suzail, the capital city of Cormyr. Suzail and Cormyr are basically civilised places with law and order and whatnot, standing pretty much on the side of good.

The FRCS says Suzail has temples and shrines to Tymora, Lliira, Oghma, Malar, Milil, Tempus and Waukeen. One of those, Malar, is a fairly nasty chaotic evil nature deity -- god of evil lycanthropes, hunting, bloodlust and so on.

My question is: would you expect a temple/shrine of Malar to operate openly and publicly in an upstanding sort of place like Suzail? Would it be legal? Would they be harassed by the authorities or the other faiths? Or do they just have worshippers like everybody else, and accept offerings from sporting types who are off hunting?

If the NG druid who worhips Mielikki in my party flies off the handle and starts calling down lightning on them, as is her wont, should she expect to be arrested/tried for murder?

MerricB

Eternal Optimist
Supporter
Depends on the activity.

I can well imagine shrines to evil deities where offerings are made to stop them from getting interested in your farm, business, etc.

In Suzail, it's hard to imagine the priests of Malar going out and actively converting the populace, going on frenzied blood-hunts or the like. :)

Cheers!

Oni

First Post
Secret cult or Place of appeasement both seem like plausible possibilities to me. I personally like the second as it is a little less cut and dry.

Xarlen

First Post
Remember, Temples Don't Have to be open.

Yes, it can have Temples and Shrines, but they can be hidden. For example, I had a Shrine to Sune in one city that's basicly a garden hidden in one of the city's walls. Only those loyal to Sune, or friends of a Sunite, know there is a crack in the wall which you must slip through. Inside is concecrated ground, tended by a Sunite.

Shrines could be anything from an alchove to a basement of a building, to the loft in a barn.

And, yes, place of Appeasement also fits' Malar's bill. Seeing as Cormyr is the Forest Kingdom and whatnot.

Last edited:

Limper

First Post
Placation of that which is nasty and vindictive, has long been a standard of religion.

The "good" churches and populace may not like the evil temples or gods but I wager in a polytheistic society they'd pay homage when appropriate... to not do so has a heavy price.

Remove ads