• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

[Exalted 2e] Chosen of the Second Age

Delemental

First Post
Weeks of travel passed in relative peace. They made good time, stopping only occasionally in some small village to resupply and deliver news of the rest of Creation. Zanka plied her trade well, subtly weaving tales together that encouraged people to think for themselves and not accept blindly the teachings of the Immaculate Order. She also upheld their promise to the god known as Storyteller, spreading rumors of his vast knowledge and encouraging others to give him homage.

Only rarely was their travel interrupted by more pressing concerns. One village requested help in repelling a tribe of icewalkers who had been raiding their lands recently, as the village was too poor to pay them tribute. The defense of the village took only a single day. Another town had been stricken with a minor plague; Ayama was able to instruct the elders in the proper treatments, and move on.

Almost three weeks into their travels, they were climbing up a small rise among some rolling hills, when they spotted a plume of smoke rising in the distance, several miles ahead.

“A brush fire?” Ghost asked.

“No,” Kaliel said, “it is several small fires, in close proximity.”

Ayama had already spurred her horse into a trot, and was at a gallop by the time Ghost caught up with her, which was no mean feat considering the Nightbringer’s lack of skill with his own steed.

“Slow down!” he shouted at her.

“Have you ever seen a burn victim?” she shouted back, not slowing her pace.

“Ayama! That fire may have been set by raiders, who may still be there!” Ghost said. “At least let me go first to see what awaits us!”

“I do not fear raiders!”

“And what then, when you ride into town unarmored, your bare flesh deflecting blades and arrows as you glow like the sun? This is land loyal to the Realm!”

Ayama reined in reluctantly, seeing the wisdom in Ghost’s words even though her heart urged her to press on. She fell back to join the others as Ghost rode ahead, jumping off his horse a mile from the town to continue on foot. The land was relatively devoid of trees, but was dotted with brush and patches of long grass, allowing Ghost to approach unobserved.

It was a typical village, no more than a dozen buildings. All of them were ablaze, some already down to charred frames. The sickly sweet scent of charred flesh was overpowering. The center of town was dominated by a small Immaculate temple, which was also burning even though it was made of stone rather than wood. The doors had been barricaded from the outside, and Ghost could only imagine that the populace had been trapped inside and burned alive. Hanging from one of the stone columns in front of the temple was a charred corpse, the remnants of an Immaculate priest’s robes laying at its feet. Peering through the smoke and heat distortions, Ghost caught a glimpse of something gold on the priest’s chest.

He was about to move away when he heard a slight sound to his left, a slight sniffling. Moving in cautiously, he was surprised to come upon a young boy, no more than twelve years, who was huddled in a patch of weeds. He wore dirty rags for clothing and cloth bundles on his feet, and his skin was streaked with soot everywhere except for streak where tears had run down his cheeks, but he did not appear to be harmed. The boy was watching the fires burn, a mixture of terror and relief in his eyes.

“I wanted it to end,” he heard the boy whisper to himself, “but not like this.”

Slowly, Ghost backed away. His sudden appearance at the boy’s side would not help.

Ghost met up with the others when they had reached the spot where he’d left his horse. He appeared out from behind a bush, which startled them a bit.

“I am afraid there is nothing we can do for the villagers,” he said, mostly to Ayama. “However, there is a young boy at the edge of the village, hiding in a patch of weeds just this side of that rock protrusion there. I have marked a trail to him. He appears to have survived whatever happened, but I think that today was not the first day in his life that he has suffered. There is also the chance that he was more than just an observer to the attack.”

“I will go with you,” Zanka said to Ayama.

“And I will take Kaliel into the village,” Ghost said. “There is something there we must examine more closely.”

The four split up to tend to their tasks. Ayama and Zanka had no trouble finding the young boy, who had not moved. He startled when the two women approached, but paused when he saw that they did not mean him harm.

“You need to go away!” he whispered at them. “You need to go before they come back!”

“Before who comes back?” Ayama asked calmly.

“The Hunt!”

۞​

“Look here,” Ghost said, pointing at the priest’s corpse. “This amulet is what I saw from back there.”

Kaliel reached out and grasped the medallion in a gauntleted hand, pulling it away along with a few bits of charred flesh. The heat of the fire had partially melted the golden pendant.

“Immaculate priests due not typically wear jewelry or other such adornments,” Ghost said. “But it is clear that this is something the priest wore when he was alive, not something that was placed upon him after his death.”

“The amulet bears an icon resembling the symbol of the Unconquered Sun,” Kaliel said. “Why would an Immaculate carry this?”

۞​

“There were many of them,” the boy said. “Twenty, I think, led by a large man in black jade. He said our priest was not truly Immaculate, and everyone had to die because of it.”

“Did the man in black jade say that the priest was Anathema?” Zanka asked.

The boy shook his head. “No, not that. He used another word. It was… Illuminated.”

۞​

“These people were forced into the temple and burned alive,” Ghost said. “The priest was left out here as a warning to others.”

“There is only one thing that is so brutally thorough when dealing with anything related to Anathema,” Kaliel said. “We need to find the women.”

۞​

“Are you hurt?” Ayama asked.

“No worse than what they usually did to me,” the boy replied, a note of sullen anger creeping into his voice.

“That will no longer happen,” Ayama said. “Right now, we should leave.”

They stood just as Kaliel and Ghost came up to them, leading their horses. “The Wyld Hunt has been here,” Kaliel said. “They came for the priest, who bears a symbol of the Unconquered Sun.” The Dawn warrior tossed the half-melted emblem to Ayama, who caught it and studied the glyph.

“He was part of the Cult of the Illuminated,” Zanka explained. “A sect of the Immaculate Order, branded as heretical, that is awaiting the arrival of ‘The Shining Ones’, who will come to usher in an age of peace and harmony.” The Eclipse smiled. “One need not think hard as to who the ‘Shining Ones’ are.”

“V’neef Odaask spoke to me of this cult,” Ayama said. “As have others I have met. Those I have spoken to believe that there is some entity which is behind the Cult of the Illuminated, guiding their path.” Ayama mounted her horse, and then extended her hand to the young boy. He hesitated, but Ayama’s warm smile convinced him to climb up and sit behind her, his face buried in her tunic. They all turned and began heading back toward the trail to Cherak.

Kaliel looked at the boy, and then at the smoke rising from the village. “The Wyld Hunt,” he growled. “I am tempted to end their threat.”

“It would reveal us,” Zanka observed.

“Only if we left survivors.” Kaliel pointed to the west. “I saw the way they left. They are no more than two hours ahead of us.”

“No!” the boy cried out. “He is too strong!”

Ayama stopped her horse and turned in the saddle so she could see him. “Tell me about this man in black jade,” she said soothingly.

“He killed our monk with a single blow,” he said, tears dripping down his cheeks. “Even though the monk was a master of Water Dragon Style. He was tall, with blue eyes… he carried a long, black spear. His armor was not as heavy as his,” he pointed at Kaliel, “but he had claws on the left hand.”

Resplendent Ghost of Midnight paled. “That is Peleps Deled,” he said.

“Who is he?” Kaliel asked.

“The Grand Master of the Wyld Hunt, and one of the major powers in House Peleps. He is rumored to have killed multiple Anathema single-handed, and also to brook no deviation whatsoever from the teachings of the Immaculate Order. No doubt those twenty with him are highly trained soldiers and monks, and it would surprise me if some were not also Dragon-Bloods.”

“If you wish to pursue them,” Zanka said, “you have my support.” There was some surprise at this rare display of bravery, but they all well knew the particular hatred that Zanka had for the Order, after what they had done to her village.

Ghost shook his head. “I will not desert you,” he stated, “but I do not relish this fight. To some degree it is because I feel we are outmatched, but in truth the idea of wandering in the gods-forsaken North seeking battle after battle ill suits me. Matching blades with Peleps Deled in the snow does nothing to bring about my goals. Rescuing your sisters from House Tepet will.”

Kaliel turned to look at Ayama. “What say you?”

Ayama looked up at the sun overhead, gathering her thoughts. “There has already been so much death here,” she said. “While punishing the one who instigated this would feel… very good, does more blood solve the problem? Would it not be better to fight the philosophy that spawned this man? And what happens to this boy should we rush off to battle? I doubt Deled would spare him. I believe you should put your own house in order first, Kaliel, and then attend to the rest of Creation.”

“Her words have wisdom,” Zanka said after a moment’s thought. “As much as I would love to eradicate the Order’s teachings from Creation, we have other concerns. And even if we were to succeed in defeating Peleps Deled, it will not serve us to make a martyr of him.”

Kaliel looked off to the west, and sighed. “For the boy’s sake, and that of my kin, I will heed your advice. But one day, our paths will cross again, and on that day nothing will keep me from our destined meeting.”

Delemental

First Post
“Cherak.”

The word came from his own lips, though his voice sounded different, more feminine. He felt different in his body as well – not strange, just different, as though he were wearing a new set of clothes in an unfamiliar style, but which had been tailored just for him.

He was looking down at the city laid out before him, the collection of simple buildings that comprised the city, or at least the poor, land-bound portion. He would start here, he knew, but the object of his search lay elsewhere.

“I will know what you are planning, Wind of Heaven,” he said to himself in his woman’s voice. He (though he was no longer certain that ‘he’ was correct) cast his gaze beyond Cherak’s slums, to the true city beyond the shore…

“Ghost?”

He blinked, and looked about, slightly disoriented. He looked for a moment at the ocean stretching out past Cherak’s docks, expecting for a split second to see… something.

Ayama stood next to him, a quizzical look on his face. “You have the look of someone lost in their own thoughts,” she commented.

“It is nothing,” he said. “A daydream.”

The five travelers stood atop a small rise, on the road leading down to the city of Cherak. The city spread out from the shore, sprawling out from the wall marking the boundary of the old city. From here, they could see that construction had begun on a new outer wall, nearly complete at the far edges of the city near the shore, and slowly arcing to meet in the middle. Perhaps a third of the wall had been completed.

“What do you know of this city?” Ayama asked. “I have heard only that it is known for smuggling.”

“It is a major port for the North,” Kaliel replied. “In particular for the Realm.” His attention was drawn toward the endless ocean beyond; though he had traveled widely in his life, he had never had the opportunity to see a true sea, and the sun dancing off the blue waves was mesmerizing to him.

“I would use stronger words than that,” Zanka said. “It is a true satrapy of the Empire, practically an extension of the Blessed Isle. The two major Great Houses in power here are the V’neef and the Ragara.”

“The Guild ships a great quantity of opium here,” Ghost added, “though the market is fairly tightly controlled. It is known that the Realm’s own merchants ship in qat to give to the workers as a portion of their pay.”

A look of disgust crossed Ayama’s face. “The use of drugs is unhealthy and vile.”

“But relatively harmless, considering the many alternatives that could be used,” Ghost pointed out. “I can see where your thoughts are heading, Ayama, and while I am not unsympathetic, I suggest we walk lightly here. Our intentions are not to remain in Cherak long.”

Ayama sighed. “Very well, though I will do what I can while we are here.” She turned to the young boy they had rescued from the village ravaged by the Wyld Hunt. “Remember, you are my nephew.” The boy, who they had dubbed ‘Luc’ when they learned that he had been given no name of his own, nodded in understanding. Luc had remained mostly under Ayama’s tutelage during their travels, though he also took instruction in martial arts from Kaliel. It was clear that the boy had led a hard life and had mostly fended for himself, fighting off other boys in the village. Thus he had some experience in unarmed combat, though it was undisciplined.

“Then let us head into the city,” Ghost said, “ so that we may start making inquiries as to who did or did not accompany the Vermillion Legion out of port.”

“Will these inquiries be best accomplished by coercion?” Kaliel asked.

“Simple questions will do, Kaliel,” admonished Zanka. “I suggest that you accompany me while I inquire among the legitimate merchants, while Ghost can check with the local smugglers to see if they know anything of Kalliope or Kassandra.”

They joined up to the main road leading to Cherak, and passed into the city with no troubles, passing by the minimal military waystation without incident. Once within the bounds of the city, however, they were held up along the road by a large caravan ahead navigating through a narrow section of road. While waiting, they noticed an ornate palanquin passing by, carried on the shoulders of eight burly slaves. As the palanquin came close to the four Solars, a woman’s hand appeared through the silk curtains, signaling a stop. The curtains parted, and Kaliel found himself face to face with a stunning woman, a courtesan whose physical beauty rivaled that of even Zanka.

The woman smiled serenely, but then turned her gaze to the man standing next to him. “Greetings, Chuzei Tendo,” she said to Ghost. “It is you, is it not, Tendo?”

Ghost beamed. “Correct as usual, Pearl. I would not have expected to see you here in the North.”

“Nor I you,” the courtesan replied. “You are far from home.”

“Much has happened since we last spoke.”

“I am sure. Tell me, who are your companions?”

Ghost blushed slightly. “Of course, forgive me.” He turned to the others. “This is Pearlescent Lotus Whispers, whom I know from my youth in Greyfalls. It was she who was most instrumental in my early education – far more so than my official tutors. Pearl, this is Ayama, a healer from the village of Petgrana, and her nephew, Luc. The young woman is Zanka Odokari, from the Northern tribes near Crystal. And this…”

“Kaliel,” he warrior said, stepping forward. “Protector of the city of Chrysanthemum and Captain of the Knights of the Golden Flower.”

“It is an honor to meet you all,” she said. “I am on my way to visit a client at the moment. Where are you staying?”

“Perhaps you could recommend an establishment?” Zanka asked.

“Then I suggest the Water Fire Inn,” Pearl said. “It is against the inner wall, to the west of this road. I advise that you move onto that smaller road there, and cut back at the first plaza. You will reach it much faster that way. I will join you this evening.”

“It would be pleasant to spend more time in your company, my lady,” Kaliel said, bowing.

Pearl smiled. “You have no idea.” The curtains closed, and the palanquin began moving again, soon vanishing behind them.

Ayama looked at Ghost. “My, what an interesting education you must have received under her tutelage.”

“Indeed,” Ghost answered, “Pearl was among the first to recognize my true calling in life.”

“As a thief, you mean,” Kaliel said.

“As one with talents in being in forbidden places and hearing forbidden things,” Ghost corrected. “In defense of her honor, however, I must make it clear that I have never engaged her in her professional capacity. Not that I never entertained the thought, but even I have some sense of propriety.”

“The relationship between master and student is only muddied by that type of fraternization,” Ayama observed.

“Or more likely he simply could not afford her services,” Zanka joked.

Ghost turned to face the Crowned Sun, and it was one of the rare times that he was not smiling. “I make no apologies for the manner in which I live my life,” he said. “But I will not be accused of being devoid of all morals. I have refrained from approaching either you or Ayama for intimate companionship since the day each of you declined my initial propositions, have I not? Or do you think I am merely biding my time for an opportunity to crawl under your skirts?”

“No one impugns your honor, Ghost,” Ayama said, stepping in. “Perhaps we only reflect that a woman as lovely and refined as Pearlescent Lotus Whispers would be nearly irresistible.”

“Indeed,” Kaliel agreed.

Ghost paused, then relaxed. “Well, you do not know how true that is until you have spoken with her further. Since we will be seeing her again this evening, I should make one thing clear to you all. When I mentioned that she was among the first to realize my true calling, I mean that in the fullest sense of the word.” He looked at everyone meaningfully.

“Then she knows you are a Solar,” Kaliel said.

Zanka reached up and placed her fingers on Kaliel’s lips, while Ayama and Ghost looked around to see if his words had carried. “Perhaps we ought to wait until we are alone to have this conversation,” Zanka suggested.

Kaliel shrugged. He was accustomed to his nature being public knowledge. Everyone in his city knew, of course, and his Exaltation had occurred during a battle in the Scavenger Lands, so many in that region knew his secret as well.

They arrived at the Water Fire Inn, a sturdy but respectable merchant-class inn which had been built directly against the inner wall. A sign bearing bisected emblems of the Elemental Dragons of Water and Fire identified it to travelers. They obtained two rooms to share between the men and women, not wanting to draw attention by displaying excessive wealth. They spent the afternoon acclimating themselves to the city, each pursuing the social venues they were most comfortable with. Kaliel learned that the outer wall under construction was being built as a precaution against the Bull of the North; though the Bull had not been seen in the region or indicated any interest in Cherak, the Realm’s satrap had decided to take no chances. Ghost made some initial contacts with the local underworld, Zanka learned the names of the most prominent nobles and officials in the city, and Ayama spent her time among the poor, and also went with Luc to the market to find him some more suitable clothing than the rags he wore.

When they returned to the Water Fire Inn, they found that a private dining room had already been prepared for them. They were each also offered a private bath before dining, a luxury of which each took advantage, even Luc, though he had to be persuaded somewhat by Ayama. Pearlescent Lotus Whispers was there to greet them at dinner when they were washed and dressed, and had ordered a fine feast consisting of local oceanic delicacies. Ghost sat next to his mentor, while Kaliel took the place opposite him on the courtesan’s other side. Ayama and Luc sat across from each other as well, and Zanka took the end of the table opposite Pearl. Ayama noted that throughout the evening, Luc had great difficulty determining where to rest his gaze.

“What brings you to Cherak, young Ghost?” Pearl asked as they sipped tea from gilded porcelain cups. “The last I had heard of you, you were involved in some negotiations in Lynnisbrook, were you not?”

“Kaliel has brought us here,” the Night Caste replied, “or rather, his sisters. They were taken in a raid on his home city by the Tepet Legions, before they retreated from the North. Since they sailed from Cherak, we have come to try and pick up their trail.”

“I see,” Pearl said. “The Roseblack is well known for maintaining strict discipline among her soldiers, and with the condition the Legions were in when they left, I presume that any ‘extra passengers’ would have been highly discouraged. Thus captives would have been sold as slaves before they left.” She turned and rested her hand upon Kaliel’s arm. “How long ago did this occur, Lightbringer?”

Kaliel paused at Pearl’s touch. “A little over a year ago,” he said to her.

The courtesan paused to sip her tea. “I would advise looking into the business records of House V’neef here in Cherak over the past two years,” she said at last. “I believe you will find them enlightening.”

At the end of the table, Luc suddenly flinched, as though he’d been nodding off and awoken, though Ayama knew he’d been awake and attentive the entire time. He then looked down at his lap, his face slightly reddened.

“Thank you for the advice,” Ghost said. “That sounds like a matter which Zanka would be most qualified to pursue. I intend to approach the smugglers tomorrow.”

The six of them exchanges small talk and pleasantries for the remainder of the evening. As they enjoyed their desserts, Pearl warned them that there were known to be two Wyld Hunts in the area.

“I would advise caution,” she said.

“I believe confronting a Wyld Hunt would be refreshing,” Kaliel replied.

“One of them is led by Peleps Deled himself.”

“We know. We have seen his handiwork. All the more reason to end him.”

“You will die,” Pearl said. “As will anyone with you.”

“Perhaps.”

“There is no ‘perhaps’,” she said, a hint of sternness in her tone. “In a year or two, there may be room for some optimism in that regard, but not at the present. Save your righteous fury.” She took a delicate bite of her pastry. “At any rate, Deled has not been seen near Cherak for nearly a season. The other Wyld Hunt active in the region is not nearly so experienced. They have mostly concentrated their efforts on hunting Lunar Exalts, who have been seen with increasing frequency in the area. Their methods are… crude, relatively speaking, and they were involved in a rather unfortunate incident in the city not long ago which has not endeared them with the common people. They have apparently not been taught discretion in regard to manifesting their elemental animas in populated areas.” *

“We will heed your warnings,” Ayama said to her. “We do not plan to remain in this city long regardless.”

“Of course,” Pearl said, as she rose. “I am afraid I must take my leave now. It was wonderful to meet you all, and hopefully our paths will cross again. It was good to see you again, Resplendent Ghost of Midnight.”

He bowed. “And you, Pearlescent Lotus Whispers.”

“Do you require an escort home?” Kaliel asked.

“I thank you, but I must decline. I have a business engagement to attend.”

“Perhaps another time.”

Pearl smiled, and then walked gracefully out of the room. After she left, Ayama turned to Luc.

“During the meal, I noted that something disturbed you. What was it?”

Initially Luc protested, and tried to explain it as a slight gaffe on his part. But under the Zenith’s persistent gaze, he finally relented.

“She gave me a note,” he said, pulling a small folded square of parchment from a pocket of his tunic. The symbol of the Cult of the Illuminated was drawn on the outside.

“She gave this to you?” Ayama asked, taking the note from his hand. She knew that Luc could not read, and so she opened the parchment up. Inside was only one sentence - It is not time to go to the Blessed Isle. Ayama informed the others of the contents of the message, though she was as unclear as the others as to the intent. Ghost mentioned that he often found the courtesan to be far more knowledgeable about matters than he would expect, and that he trusted her.

“How did she give that to you in the middle of dinner?” Zanka asked. “You were across the table from her.”

Luc’s face reddened again. “She has nimble toes.”

-------------------------------

* All Exalted emit a visible aura as they spend Essence to use their powers. At the highest levels, Solar animas manifest as a totemic image; Ghost's is a spider monkey, Kaliel's is a pair of golden wings raining chrysanthemums, etc. Regardless of the form, Solar animas are harmless. Terrestrial Exalts (or Dragon-Bloods), on the other hand, do not manifest totemic images, but their animas are manifestations of one of the five elements, and at the highest levels these animas actually cause damage to the surroundings. What Pearl is referring to here is that the Wyld Hunt in question likely became involved in a serious battle inside the city, and their animas ended up killing a number of civilians in the area.

Delemental

First Post
The remainder of the evening passed quietly. Ghost left to inquire after a reputable bordello for the evening, and on this occasion was accompanied by Kaliel. Luc also expressed a desire to go along, but was denied by Ayama, who would not relent even when Ghost assured her that he would make sure the boy’s companion was healthy. The young orphan took out his frustrations by vigorously practicing martial arts in his room, which Ayama allowed him to do unsupervised for a while before she stepped in to channel his excess energy in a more disciplined manner. After several katas and maneuvers, Luc asked Ayama to teach him how to read, a task which she took to with enthusiasm, to the point that both were awake until sunrise. She was pleased to see that the boy was a fast learner.

In the morning, Ghost went to speak to the smugglers and slave merchants in the city, while Zanka and Kaliel went into the inner city to look into House V’Neef’s affairs. They had decided to approach the matter with as much of the truth as they could manage; that Kaliel was looking for his sisters, who had been captured in a House Tepet raid, and he was interested in purchasing them back. He explained to the minor officials that first approached them that he had retained Zanka as his advocate to help him navigate the complex bureaucracy of the Realm. It took several hours and a good portion of Kaliel’s coin, but at last they were given an audience with V’neef Tase, a Wood-Aspected Exalt and the factor of House V’neef in Cherak.

“You were wise to come to us,” Tase said to them, sitting with Zanka and Kaliel at a small table in his offices. A light lunch had been brought up for the three of them. “When House Tepet arrived in the city, they sold all of their captives to my own House, since their departure was to be somewhat hasty. We have since, of course, resold those captives.”

“This is to be expected,” Zanka said. “I have already explained to my client that we will likely need to examine your records for the period of time in question, and then inquire with whoever purchased his siblings.”

“If you could provide names and a description of your sisters, sir, I am sure my secretary can help procure the documents you require.”

Kaliel gave the factor the information, which was dutifully recorded by a scribe standing nearby, and then sent off for processing. While they waited, Tase conversed with them, asking a few probing questions as to the true nature of their business in the city. This was where the decision to present the truth came to benefit them, for there was no ulterior motive for the factor to discover. Finally, when a stack of parchment several inches tall arrived, Tase stood.

“I have other duties to attend to,” he said. “I will come to check on your progress later, if you will excuse me.”

After an hour, Zanka looked up from the stack. “The descriptions of these women are similar to that of Kalliope and Kassandra, but none are an exact match. They were not sold to the V’neef.” When the factor returned, Zanka presented this fact to him.

“Did House Tepet keep any of their captives?” Kaliel asked.

“No, they were all sold to us. The ships that sailed out of our harbors contained Tepet soldiers only. In turn, we have sold all of the captives that Tepet brought with them.”

“Then why are there no records of my sisters here?” he demanded.

“Perhaps they never made it to Cherak at all,” V’Neef Tase explained. “There is a certain amount of loss expected on any slave caravan.”

“Unlikely.”

“I realize it is not a conclusion you wish to hear, but it is a possibility.”

“May we talk to some of the other slaves from this sale, to see if they remember my client’s sisters?” Zanka asked.

“You have the bills of sale in front of you,” Tase said. “You may negotiate with the owners for that privilege. Many were purchased by households here in the city.”

“And these are all the bills of sale?” Zanka asked.

“Of course.”

Zanka frowned slightly. She had used her Solar abilities to listen to the factor’s replies, trying to discern any deception. But his words only imparted his loyalty to his House and desire to protect their interests in the city, and did not indicate a particular attempt at evasion. She then tried to impart the tragedy of Kaliel’s plight to V’neef Tase, hoping to move him into looking into the matter further. But he maintained his stoic attitude, though he expressed sorrow at Kaliel’s loss, and maintained there was nothing more he could do.

They returned to the Water Fire Inn, dejected. Ayama and Luc were waiting in the common room for them; Ayama wore a slightly confused expression, while Luc beamed with eager anticipation.

“That was a waste of our time,” growled Kaliel.

“No it wasn’t!” cried Luc.

“Excuse me?” Kaliel turned to Ayama. “What is the boy talking about?”

“I do not know,” she admitted. “He will not tell me. He only said he wanted to wait for you to return. I was out this morning tending to a handful of heroin addicts I found in the slums. When I returned at midday, I found Luc gone, and he had left this with the innkeeper.” She passed Zanka a crudely-written note, which after some effort she was able to interpret as saying ‘Gone to help Zanka and Kaliel, be back later.’

“He was returning from the V’neef district as I went to find him,” she explained. “And you now know as much as I do.”

“I still do not understand why you insist our efforts with House V’neef were not wasted,” Kaliel said. “We found no useful information.”

“You didn’t,” Luc said, “but I did!” He pulled a sheaf of papers from his tunic and laid them on the table. “While the two of you had the factor and his staff busy, I was able to get inside the records room. Because of what Ayama taught me last night, I knew which words to look for.”

Zanka, who had already picked up the papers, handed them to Kaliel. “The boy is right,” she said. “This is what you seek.”

The documents detailed a transfer of political prisoners from House Tepet to House V’neef; among those listed were two women who matched exactly the description of Kaliel’s two sisters. It was now clear why no records had been found of them among the sale of captured slaves; they had never been considered as either captives or slaves. Other papers gave details about the arrangements that had been made for the two women; they had been moved to a country estate controlled by House V’neef on the northern shore of the Blessed Isle. The documents detailed the care provided to the prisoners, including access to physicians and tutors, but also documented that the estate garrisoned a talon of House soldiers, and that a pair of Dragon-Bloods had been assigned as personal bodyguards to the sisters.

“This does confirm our suspicions,” Ayama said. “They intend to use your sisters as leverage. Which means that they are aware of what you are, Kaliel, otherwise there is no purpose to holding them.”

“The factor was asking a great number of questions about the reasons I was there,” Kaliel said. “If he connects Kassandra and Kalliope to me, they will bring the Wyld Hunt.”

“I find that improbable,” Zanka said. “The questions V’Neef Tase was asking are typical for a man of his position to ask. There was nothing to indicate he saw anything more than what we presented to him. The possibility does exist that the factor could choose to look into the matter further and learn the truth, but more likely he has already dismissed the entire thing as a waste of his valuable time. Someone at his level in the House would not normally deal with requests such as ours.”

“I think it is unlikely they will call the Hunt on you,” Ayama said. “If they want to strike some sort of bargain with you, they will not want you dead. What I find more intriguing about this entire situation is that it seems Ghost’s mentor was aware of where your search would lead before any of us. Did Pearl not send us a message warning us not to go to the Blessed Isle?”

“That is true,” Kaliel admitted, “but I am not certain that I can heed her advice in this matter. I know where they are now, which gives me a target.”

“It would be almost certain death for you,” Ayama said. “And an action I cannot support. Your sisters are currently safe and well cared for, even if they are in the hands of your enemy. For us to initiate a bloody assault on the Isle to retrieve them goes against all I stand for.”

“It may be wiser to wait and see what the V’neef want from you,” Zanka said. “Given that dealing with an Anathema entails a great risk for them, it may be that the price they set for the freedom of your sisters will not be too onerous.”

Talk of Kaliel’s sisters continued through the afternoon, fading for a while but renewing when Ghost finally returned to the inn; having been unsuccessful in his inquiries among the smugglers, he stated he’d spent the remainder of the afternoon in the high-class districts of the inner city. He listened to the story with interest, and though was tempted by Kaliel’s attempts to talk him into attempting to steal two political prisoners from the Blessed Isle, he ultimately decided that too little was known to make the attempt now. Ghosts showed more interest in the tales of Luc’s efforts to help.

“Ayama,” he said after a while, “I would like to borrow your young charge for the evening.” He smiled. “I promise I will not ply him with wine or women.”

The Zenith grudgingly consented, and the two set out for the night. They did not return for many hours; Ayama was waiting when they opened the door of the Water Fire Inn.

“He is rough, but shows promise,” was all that Ghost said, as he went upstairs to turn in. Luc also retired for the evening, but was awoken by Ayama at dawn for martial arts training. Mercifully, he was allowed to rest in the afternoon, as he was taken out into the city again by Ghost that evening. Kaliel spent the day down by the shore, inquiring about ocean-worthy vessels, while Zanka made the circuit of teahouses and reputable taverns.

Ghost and Luc returned well past the middle of the night, and quietly roused everyone. “I believe we should plan to depart soon,” Ghost said.

“How soon?” Zanka asked irritably.

“Right now would be good,” Luc said, a little too quickly.

“Do we want to know?” Ayama asked.

“Of course you want to know!” Ghost beamed. “After we have left, of course.”

They all rose and made their preparations. Kaliel was the last to arrive downstairs, having strapped on his armor. They settled the bill, and then rode east along the main road. Luc, riding behind Ayama, kept looking backward.

“They will not even notice until sunrise,” Ghost assured him.

“What did you do?” Ayama asked sternly.

“Nothing that put Luc at risk,” Ghost assured her. “He was only a lookout. There was no real trouble. Well, a few Dragon-Blood guards, and some wards, but that is all. Oh, there was the bound demon as well. That was a new experience for me.”

The conversation was interrupted as they reached the outskirts of Cherak, in the slums area. Off to their left, they heard the sounds of a street fight. This in itself was not remarkable, for they had been told that gang fights were common in the city. However, just as the sounds began to die down, they saw a brilliant flash of silver-white light fill the streets and alleys from the same direction.

Kaliel had already leapt from his horse, and pulled his axe free as he ran.

Delemental

First Post
ARGH! Cliffhanger.. More please. And soon. :)

Okay, if you insist...

-------------------------------------

They came into a wide alleyway, eight or perhaps ten feet in width, with two-story stone buildings to either side. Several figures moved within the alley, stepping over the corpses of those who had already fallen. Closest to the Solars was a man in articulated white jade plate armor, wielding a tetsubo also made of white jade. His bearing was similar to that of the Earth Immaculate monk Ground Ripple, who they had encountered in Lynnisbrook, but this was another member of that order. Further down the alley, perched upon low balconies on either side, were two archers in green jade armor and holding power bows.

The figure in the center of the alley was the one that drew everyone's gaze, however, for it seemed to be what anyone else would describe as a monster. It stood about six feet in height, standing upon two legs but covered in fine, dark hair. Its face was elongated, and small, sharp claws protruded from its fingers. A brilliant silver-white disc stood out from its forehead, and the sky above was filled with the ephemeral image of a silvery mongoose, leaping about and baring sharp teeth as it did battle with a multiple-headed hydra. A dozen arrow shafts lay on the ground at its feet, shattered as though they had been fired against a stone wall, and the Wood-Aspected archer on the right sported deep slashes across his face. However, the other bodies in the alley either had arrows protruding from their skulls or had their throats opened up by a sharp blade of some sort, and the Lunar was heavily wounded itself, to the point that they all marveled that it was still standing.

As they watched, the scarred archer fired at the Lunar, the arrow blazing with emerald-tinged Essence. Snarling, it raked claws through the air, shredding the arrow mid-flight. The other archer took aim as well, but his shot was fouled when a boomerang whirled through the air, slicing his bowstring in half.

“More of your followers, Anathema?” the Wood Immaculate called out, as he retrieved a spare string. “They will die as well!”

The Earth Immaculate turned, and seeing the newcomers, frowned. He swung his tetsubo around and connected with the building just behind him, striking it so hard the ground shook. The building immediately collapsed, sending rubble spilling into the alley and cutting off the four Solars from the battle.

Ayama began to move to climb over the rubble, but a movement above caught her eye. She peered into the pre-dawn gloom, and for a moment saw the dusty haze on the roof to her left part just enough to reveal another Immaculate in a blue jade breastplate, holding a chakram of the same material. Before she could call out a warning or act, however, the Air Immaculate had thrown the chakram, which split into four Essence-fueled copies, one for each new combatant. Ghost was able to spot the attack at the last moment, and tried to flip out of the way, but was still sliced across the arm. Ayama dove for Zanka and pulled her back, taking two glancing strikes from the chakram, while Kaliel’s armor protected him from most of the damage.

Blood dripping from his wound, Ghost moved to the rooftop, leapfrogging between the two walls and alighting behind a pile of refuse. Looking around, he tried to determine the source of the blue chakrams, but saw nothing. Instead, he leapt across the rooftops, somersaulting in midair as he threw his boomerangs at the archer who had just restrung his bow, even as the Wood Aspected archer fired at him. The Immaculate screamed as the sharpened Chiaroscuro glass bit deep into his shoulder, while Ghost simply twisted in midair to avoid the arrow speeding at his chest.

The Lunar leapt at the second archer, landing atop the balcony and hurling the Wood Immaculate across the alleyway, where he slammed into the wall and then fell to the ground. Deprived of his primary opponent, the Earth Immaculate turned to face Kaliel, who had leapt up the pile of rubble and come sliding down the other side, riding atop a large chunk of masonry. Axe and tetsubo locked together with a resounding ring. But perhaps the most surprising thing to occur, at least to the Solars in the fight, was when Zanka suddenly ran forward into the battle, screaming curses against the Immaculate Order, and leapt up at the balcony where the Wood-Aspected archer still stood, pulling herself up to face him. As they struggled, however, the mongoose-like Lunar leapt from one balcony to the other, claws extended before him, and buried his hands deep into the Wood Immaculate’s chest, pinning him to the door behind him.

Ayama, who had been the only one to see the hidden Air Aspect, pulled one of the long wooden structural poles from the pile of rubble at her feet that had once been a building. Glancing down, she noted that the end of the structural pole was dark with blood, no doubt from an unsuspecting victim of the Earth Immaculate’s carelessness. She set aside her rising fury for the moment; first she had to deal with the unseen threat above. Ayama vaulted to the roof using the pole, landing a few feet from where she’d last seen the Air-Aspected warrior. She spotted him again just as he hurled the chakram at her chest, with an attack meant to knock the wind from her lungs. Steeling herself with Essence, the attack merely bounced off her solar plexus ineffectively. The chakram returned to the Air Immaculate’s hand, who looked at his opponent with consternation.

The scarred archer on the ground had risen to his feet in an eyeblink, and had fired an arrow at Kaliel, but the Dawn warrior saw the missile coming, and hooked the Earth Immaculate’s tetsubo with the back of his axe, so that the arrow impacted on the white jade weapon. He began to line up another shot, but was startled when Zanka suddenly dropped down on his shoulders from above, and tried to break his neck by clamping her legs on both sides of his head and twisting. He was only saved by his jade gorget, which prevented Zanka from maintaining pressure on his spine.

On the rooftop, Ayama raised her pole like a lance, and charged at the Air Immaculate. He moved to avoid the blow, but at the last second Ayama changed the angle of the pole, catching the jade chakram in the Dragon-Blood’s hand through its center, and pulling it free from his grasp. Her momentum carried her through to land a jaw-shattering kick on the Immaculate. The impact caused his concentration to waver, disrupting the Charm he was using to obscure his location. With his location exposed, the Wyld Huntsman turned and ran, jumping across a few rooftops before dropping into the streets below. Ayama looked around and saw Ghost on the opposite roof.

“Got it,” he said, and then turned and ran the opposite direction. He leapt up onto the end of a wooden pole that had been placed atop the roof to hold a clothes line. The pole bent nearly in half from his weight, and then sprang back, launching the Night Solar into the air, easily outpacing the fleeing Air Aspect.

In the alley below, Kaliel and the Earth Immaculate continued their deadly exchange, their weapons whistling through the air and connecting with blows that seemed to shake the ground. Kaliel felt the haft of his axe shivering with the impacts of the tetsubo, and he wondered how well it would hold up against the jade weapon. He reversed his grip after deflecting a blow aimed at his head, and brought it in low, attempting to split the Immaculate in half. Unable to bring his own weapon around in time, the Earth Aspect howled as the blade bit deep between two plates in his leg greaves. Small bits of stone began to whirl around the Immaculate as his anima flared in response to the Essence he was channeling, and his cry of pain turned into a scream of rage. He moved to attack again, but was held up as the Lunar suddenly leapt on his back, clawing and biting. The Lunar was unable to penetrate the white jade, but the Immaculate was unable to shake him off, keeping him from resuming his assault on Kaliel.

Nearby, Zanka was still clamped atop the thrashing Wood Immaculate. “Since you have blinded yourself to the truth,” she shouted, “you will live forever in darkness!” She then pulled out her war fans, still folded, and tried to jam them into his eyes. Unfortunately, her strike was deflected by the visor on his helmet, and the Immaculate finally managed to get a grip on Zanka’s arm. Before he could pull her off, however, he felt his arm being grabbed and twisted behind him. He cried in pain as he heard a popping noise from his elbow.

“My friend has not finished her lesson,” Ayama said to the archer, twisting his arm harder.

Some distance away, the Air-Aspected Huntsman ran down the street. His powers still obscured him from mortal sight, so his passage through those who were moving about in the early gloom was noted only as a strange gust of wind. Thinking himself safe, the Dragon-Blood was startled when an amber boomerang sailed just over his head, missing by inches. He looked back over his shoulder, just in time to see a second boomerang slash across his face. The Immaculate looked up and saw Ghost running along the edge of the rooftops above, extending a hand to catch his boomerangs as they circled around to him. The Huntsman grabbed a knife from the belt of a peasant in the street and threw it, but his aim was wide, and the blade sailed harmlessly away. Ghost continued to harry his fleeing quarry, until the Air Aspect ducked into a peasant’s hut. Grabbing a rope tied to the roof, Ghost swung down and dove through the same doorway, rolling into a defensive crouch in the middle of a pitch-black dwelling. The only sounds were those of the occupants, disturbed by two unwelcome visitors. Ghost focused his Essence, and light suddenly blazed from his caste mark, filling the hovel with a gold-violet light. At the same time, he grabbed a small sack of flour from the floor and tore it open, spreading its contents throughout the room. His eyes scanned the drifting flour, and when he saw some caught up in a strange whirling eddy in the corner, he let loose with his weapon. The Air Immaculate screamed as the boomerang bit into his leg.

The Earth Immaculate and the Lunar continued to grapple with each other, until a fortuitous twist caused the Lunar’s paws to slip on the blood-slicked white jade, and he fell backward. The tetsubo swung around, barely missing the Lunar and forcing him back. The Huntsman moved to press his advantage, but then felt a tap on his pauldron.

“He is not the threat here,” Kaliel said, as he came around with a bone-crushing swing of his axe. Reeling back, the Earth Aspect spat blood and squared off once again against his axe-wielding enemy, whose forehead was now starting to glow with the unholy symbol of the Forsaken. The Immaculate glanced over and saw that his fellow Huntsman had been pulled off his feet by the Anathema’s two female allies; the larger one held him while the small one leveled vicious kicks at his head. Fortunately, his green jade armor protected him from most of the blows, and he was using his Essence to heal himself, allowing him to finally throw off the larger woman. Unfortunately, the beast they had been tracking chose that moment to leap upon the Wood-Aspected archer, driving its claws underneath his breastplate. It withdrew its arms, red with blood up to the elbows, and holding great handfuls of the man’s entrails.

Realizing he now stood alone against four Anathema, the Earth-Aspected Huntsman shouted and suddenly charged at Kaliel, bringing his tetsubo down in a blurred arc. Unable to bring his axe around to parry in time, The studded weapon crashed into his shoulder, tearing into his flesh and grinding bones. Kaliel grunted as he was nearly forced to his knees, and just managed to stagger back out of range. The Immaculate charged again, but this time swung his weapon at the building just behind Kaliel, smashing it to rubble as he had with the dwelling on the other side of the alley. Rubble cascaded down, burying Kaliel up to his chest; he was barely able to raise his arms in time to keep them free. The Immaculate renewed his attack on the immobilized Solar, bringing his heavy tetsubo down to crush his skull. Kaliel was barely able to bring his axe up to block, and he winced as the force of the blow reverberated down his arms. He saw stress fractures open up on the haft of his axe, and knew his trusted weapon would not withstand much more punishment.

Inside the peasant dwelling, the Air Immaculate sprang from his position in the corner, diving at Ghost with his deadly fingertips pointed at the Night Caste’s solar plexus. Ghost grabbed a blanket off the bed and flung it into the air, obscuring the martial artist’s view enough that he was able to avoid the attack. Ghost somersaulted over the diving Dragon-Blood and twisted in mid-air, landing in the same corner that his opponent had just abandoned. His legs extended out perpendicular to his body, each foot gaining purchase on the wall and bracing Ghost in position. He threw both boomerangs at the same time toward the Air Aspect, who had just recovered from his own acrobatic maneuver. The Immaculate caught up the blanket that Ghost had just used, and attempted to repeat the Anathema’s obscuring tactic. The two weapons sliced neatly through the fabric, and severed both of the Immaculate’s arms at the shoulders. The blanket settled down over the Dragon-Blood’s head as his anima dissipated, and the body stood for a moment, the blanket quickly turning red on either side, before he collapsed.

Ghost quickly jumped down and gathered up the pieces of the corpse, bundling them in the blanket. Hefting the load on one shoulder, he turned to face the occupants of the hovel, who were all cowering in a corner. He knew that in the pre-dawn gloom, the light coming from his caste mark would have half-blinded them, so they would not have seen his face.

“The Wyld Hunt has been careless and irresponsible, and have brought harm to innocent mortals,” Ghost said. “They have been punished for their transgressions.” He tossed a handful of coins on the table, more than enough to cover the damages to the house, and then made his way to the door. He made sure to dampen his caste mark before emerging into the street, and quickly leaping back to the rooftops with the body of the Immaculate, and making his way back to his companions. He had no trouble marking their location, as he could still see the ethereal image of a mongoose battling a hydra in the sky, which had now been joined by the image of fiery wings spread across the sky, dropping a rain of golden chrysanthemum petals.

The Earth Immaculate attempted to move in to finish off the buried warrior, but was pulled back when the Lunar jumped on his back, scrabbling and clawing at his limbs with such speed that he could barely move. At the same time, Ayama suddenly appeared in front of him, her eyes dark with fury. “You callous, worthless worm!” she shouted at him, as she spat in his face and punched him. A short distance away, Zanka was still kicking at the eviscerated corpse of the Wood Aspected archer, her frenzied, bloody rampage still strangely graceful and dance-like.

Kaliel took advantage of the Earth Aspect’s distraction, hooking his axe onto the Immaculate’s tetsubo as he swung wildly to try and dislodge the Lunar. Gripping his axe tightly, he used the momentum of the Immaculate’s backswing to pull himself out of the pile of rubble, and once he was clear, renewed his own attacks, managing to get in a few solid blows. Ayama backed off her own assault, knowing she would not be able to penetrate the Immaculate’s heavy armor. Instead, her Zenith caste mark flared to life as she touched the frenzied Lunar and sent Essence flowing into him, easing the pain of his many wounds, and then administered the same care to Kaliel. Seeing what she was doing, the Immaculate roared and tried to aim a blow at Ayama’s head.

With a strange, ululating scream, Zanka suddenly ran into the melee and leapt at the Immaculate. Her war fans snapped open, and she sliced at the Dragon Blood’s wrists as she flew by. The razor sharp edges of the fan slipped into the thin joint where the jade gauntlets attached to the vambrace, and though the wound left was shallow, it caused the Huntsman’s hand to spasm. His white jade tetsubo spiraled out of his grasp, sailing over Kaliel’s head and landing several feet away. Seconds later, Ghost appeared on the rooftop, and jumped down to the alley. He kicked a wooden pole into his hands, and jumped at the Immaculate, jabbing and swinging with the makeshift staff. His attacks were hardly a threat to the heavily armored Huntsman, but wounding the Immaculate was not his goal.

The Dragon-Blood shook off the Lunar at last, and easily deflected a blow from Ghost’s staff on his forearm. He looked just past this newest foe, and for a moment was unable to make sense of what he was seeing, for it seemed that the large Anathema was swinging his axe directly at the back of the newcomer’s head. At the last possible moment, the man with the staff ducked away, bending at an improbable angle, and too late the Huntsman realized his error.

The axe bit deep, finally punching through the heavy jade and shattering ribs. Blood spurted from the lips of the Immaculate as he fell to his knees, and then toppled over stiffly.

The four Solars looked around, making sure no more enemies were appearing. “Quickly,” said Ghost, and he leapt back up to the rooftop to retrieve the body of the Air Immaculate. Kaliel walked over to where the jade tetsubo had landed, and lifted it to his shoulder – without the Essence of the Immaculate empowering it, the weapon was rendered to little more than a pillar of stone, weighing about as much as an average man. Zanka was sitting atop the body of the Earth Dragon Blood, jabbing him in the face and throat with chops and punches to make sure he was dead. Blood flew up and splattered on her already gore-stained clothing.

“You who have chosen to poison Creation with your lies!” she shouted at the body, “Know that our righteous vengeance shall descend upon you!”

Perturbed by Zanka’s uncharacteristic display of vitriol, Ayama turned to the one who had been the focus of all that had occurred. In the flickering sliver light surrounding them, she was not certain when he had changed, but instead of a bestial hybrid of man and mongoose, she saw a badly injured man dressed in mere scraps of clothing, kneeling on the ground, looking around with bewilderment at all that had occurred. She walked up and extended a hand, and when he reached out to grasp it, she pulled him up, kindly but firmly, and led him through the rubble strewn about.

They all heard a noise about the growing calls of alarm in the distance, and turned to see Luc steering a stolen wagon to just outside the alley, their horses having been hastily harnessed to it. The Chosen quickly piled the bodies of the Wyld Hunt into the wagon, and then covered the corpses and rode quickly out of the city. The brilliant auras surrounding both Kaliel and the mysterious Lunar died down, allowing them to escape without encountering more resistance.

۞​

A day later, they sat huddled around a small fire, far from any settlement. The Lunar spoke.

“My name is Lenn,” he said to them. “I have lived in Cherak all my life. Many years ago, I grew weary of seeing my fellow men and women terrorized by the thugs and gangs that prey upon those who live in the slums. I took it upon myself to do what the Empire seemed unwilling to do – I patrolled the streets, and did what I could to stop the criminals. Soon I came across others who felt as I did, and we worked together to bring what justice we could to the poorest citizens. Last night, I and my companions were returning from our patrols of the worker’s district. That was when the Immaculate warriors attacked. Before I knew what was happening, my friends were all dead, shot with arrows or beheaded by blue discs. After that, all I saw was silver and red.” He looked at everyone at the fire. “What has happened to me?”

Ayama reached out and placed her hand atop his. “You have been Chosen, just as we have,” she said. “Exalted above mortals. We four have been Exalted by the Unconquered Sun, to act as avatars of His will in Creation. You, however, have been Chosen by the goddess Luna.” Ayama frowned. “Unfortunately, there is little more I can tell you about this. Much of the truth about us has been destroyed or hidden by the Dragon-Bloods, and so all we know of Lunars is based upon lies and propaganda.”

“Why was I Chosen?” Lenn asked.

“No one in Creation can answer that question,” Ayama said. “There is no way to know such things.”

“Then there is a problem,” Ghost said. He passed around a scrap of parchment. “I found this on the body of the Earth-Blood.”

The parchment was scrawled with a set of directions, as well as a date and time,written in High Realm. They all quickly realized that the message gave the exact time and location in Cherak that Lenn experienced his Exaltation.

“Unfortunately,” Ghost said, as he retrieved the parchment, “we cannot tell you much of what it means to be a Lunar Exalted. It would be best if we could send you to live among your own kind, but the Lunars are not easily found. For good reason, as you can see.”

“From what I recall of the old stories warning us against the Anathema,” Zanka said, “the legends spoke of the ‘beasts who walk like men’ who were driven off to the edges of Creation long ago.”

“Then perhaps the Lunars still gather where Creation meets the Wyld,” Kaliel said. “Perhaps we should go there.”

“My village is north of here, near Crystal,” Zanka said, “and that is not so very far from the northern edge of Creation.”

“I would suggest a different approach,” Ayama said. “My own village of Petgrana lies in the deep forests of the East, nearly due west of the Elemental Pole of Wood. It is clear that you possess some natural affinity toward the mongoose, which is a creature more at home in the East than in the North.”

“Truly, that is what the animal is called?” Lenn asked. “When I had… Exalted, I could see the image of this creature in my mind’s eye, feel its spirit – but I had never seen its like, and had no word to describe it.”

“In my village, I can promise you that you would be welcomed, and offered refuge. From there, you could explore the edges of the world and try and find more of your kin.”

“But until that day, you are welcome to remain with us,” Kaliel said. “We may know little of the ways of the Lunars, but we are familiar with being Exalted, and I think you will find our company more welcoming than that of the Immaculate Order.”

“Indeed,” Lenn said. “I will remain with you and journey to your village, Ayama. There is a town, about a hundred miles east of Cherak along the coast, called Crabber’s Bay. The harbor there is deep enough for large ships. I would suggest we go there, and find passage on a vessel that will carry us toward our destination.”

They set out early the next morning, taking time only to stake the bodies of the Wyld Hunt out on the road, much as the Illuminated priest had been left out in Luc’s village. Signs hung on the corpses gave warning to the Hunt and to Peleps Deled. They left their stolen cart on the road as well, and then set out.

They traveled for days along the coast, taking smaller trails to avoid traffic. At night, Lenn would experiment with his newly discovered powers, while Ayama observed the flow of his Essence. She was able to discern that while their own Solar Essence seemed able to enhance the skills and bring the Exalt closer to perfection in form and execution, the silvery Lunar Essence was more primal, and seemed to enhance Lenn’s physical prowess. He was already fairly skilled in unarmed combat, but when his Essence flowed he moved with inhuman strength and quickness. Zanka, who also observed Lenn’s experiments, was surprised to find that her own Essence seemed to respond to his, as if it were trying to mirror the unseen flows of power. After a while, Zanka began to feel as though she could train her own body to respond like Lenn’s, though she could not explain the source of this awareness, as none of her Solar companions described a similar experience.*

A few days into their journey, Kaliel suddenly looked at Ghost. “With all that has occurred,” he said, “I have neglected to ask you why it was we had need to leave Cherak at such an early hour.”

“Ah! I had almost forgotten!” Ghost pulled on his reins and moved his horse up next to Zanka, opening up his saddlebag as he did so. “Zanka, I believe you will be most appreciative of this,” he said. “You can wear it to the next formal event you attend.”

From the bag, Ghost produced a shimmering, sparkling stole. Upon close examination, they saw that the fabric was woven from moonsilver thread, and it was studded with white jade beads. Zanka’s eyes sparkled as brightly as the garment.

“I would advise that you not wear it at any event in Cherak, however,” Ghost cautioned, “nor to any event at which Ragara Mnemon Luana will be in attendance.”

“The wife of the lord of House Ragara in Cherak?” Lenn gasped. “That stole was her most prized possession!”

“Not any more,” Ghost grinned.

Later that same night, Ayama pulled Ghost aside, and led him some distance away from their encampment. “Ghost, I wish to speak of you about your mentor.”

“Of course.”

“Since we discovered the information the Wyld Hunt was carrying about Lenn, I have been… concerned. There should be no way for anyone in Creation to know when an Exaltation is going to take place. In our travels, I have met with astrologers, and attempted to have our fortunes read. Even the most skilled cannot discern our fate; our destinies are not written in the stars. The only person I have ever met who appears to have some knowledge of that which has not yet happened is your mentor, Pearlescent Lotus Whispers. Is it possible that she may be providing information to the Immaculate Order?”

Ghost frowned. “My first instinct would be to say no,” he said. “But I must admit I know little of her beyond the rare occasions when she would come to Greyfalls. Pearl travels widely and has dealings with a variety of people throughout Creation. Still, she has never spoken favorably to me of the Immaculate philosophies, though she does not overtly disparage them, either. It is more that she has always encouraged me to acts which reinforced my own poor opinion of the Philosophies. And it does appear that Pearl has some connection with this Cult of the Illuminated – if the Cult is considered heretical by the Order, why would someone associated with the Cult willingly aid the Wyld Hunt? Perhaps others possess the same talents as Pearl.”

“Then it seems that I must assume that she possesses some sort of sorcery capable of such foretellings,” Ayama said.

“Should we encounter Pearl again,” Ghost said, “I will ask her about it directly. Of course, she may opt not to answer – this has been the way of things between us when I ask things she is not willing to reveal.”

“I do not wish to cast aspersions upon her,” Ayama said. “She has been nothing but genial toward us so far. This is why I wished to speak to you privately – I feared that my questions might lead some of our companions to come to hasty conclusions.”

Eventually, the six travelers came to a crossroad. Stone markers indicated that the road leading off to the north would eventually arrive at Rubylak.

Kaliel reined in his mount, and turned. He now wore the white jade armor of the Immaculate, and his tetsubo sat comfortably upon his back. “My friends,” he said, “I must take my leave of you for a time. I must take this opportunity to return briefly to Chrysanthemum, and from there pay a visit to Lady Rinalta in Lagan, to see how their militia training progresses. I have entered into an alliance with Lagan, and I must see to it that our end of that bargain is being upheld. I will board a river barge from Lynnisbrook bound for Greyfalls, and rendezvous with you.”

“Follow the river four days east of Mist Island,” Ayama told him. “There will be a village along the south bank. I will leave word with the locals to expect you, and to provide you with a guide to Petgrana. I will also make certain that Sunlight Pierces the Canopy is aware of your imminent arrival.”

“The armor worn by the other Immaculates I will take to Chrysanthemum,” Kaliel said. “It could have future value. I suggest that you retain their weapons – they may become useful to you in your journey should you need to bargain with them.” He looked over his companions one last time. “Fare well,” he said, “and I will meet you in Petgrana.” With that, he turned his horse down the road, and went north toward his home.

---------------------------

* Each type of Solar has a unique ability. In the case of the Eclipse, they may learn the magical Charms of Exalt types other than Solars, even those of deities, spirits, and other magical creatures. In this case, Zanka has learned a basic Dexterity-enhancing Lunar Charm known as an Excellency.

As a general rule, Solar Charms enhance learned abilities, like Melee, Bureaucracy, Craft, Performance, etc. Lunar Charms enhance raw Abilities; Strength, Stamina, Intelligence, etc.

Delemental

First Post
Sorry the update's a little late; I've had some internet issues at home.

-----------------------------------------

Kaliel rode through the gates of the compound that Brusk had converted into a training camp. He saw activity everywhere; in the courtyard there were about fifty men and women drilling with spears, while across the way about a dozen held bows, and were shooting at straw dummies. He was pleased to see how hard Lynnisbrook’s citizens were working, but frowned slightly when he saw that none of the soldiers in training wore armor, and that their weapons seemed to be of less than optimal quality.

Brusk came to meet him as he dismounted, and the two clasped hands in greeting.

“You seem to have things well in hand here,” Kaliel said as they walked toward the barracks.

“As well as can be expected,” Brusk said. “They take to the training well, but we’ve had delays in getting proper equipment. It seems that the Guild is reluctant to do any major business in military equipment while they are investigating the death of their factor. For now they’re using sharpened sticks. How are things back home?”

“Things are well,” Kaliel said. “The rebuilding goes quickly. I am hoping that our efforts here might lead to some of these men signing on with the Knights. We could use some new blood. Speaking of which, I would like you to be on the lookout for any Outcaste Dragon-Blooded who show an interest in our company. If you assess them to be trustworthy, I have left some jade armor we recently acquired in the vaults of Chrysanthemum. They may be used as enticements.”

“I was going to ask about the new outfit, sir,” Brusk said, looking at Kaliel’s white jade armor.

“An Immaculate made a poor choice,” was Kaliel’s only reply.

They passed through the barracks toward the area reserved for officers, where Kaliel saw more familiar faces from among his own mercenaries. They arrived at the quarters that Brusk had taken for himself, where Kaliel settled into a wide chair as Brusk poured two glasses of the local whiskey into tin cups.

“Pardon me for saying so, sir,” Brusk said as he handed Kaliel the whiskey, “but I couldn’t help but notice that you do not stink to Yu-Shan.”

Kaliel smiled. “I arrived in Lynnisbrook yesterday. I felt it only proper to make contact with Lady Rinalta upon my arrival. A bath was strongly encouraged by her servants, and I admit was not unwelcome after a month on horseback.”

“I see. And I take it that you put an effort into strengthening the alliance between Lagan and Chrysanthemum?”

“Indeed. She was most enthusiastic about our negotiations, and I must say it seems she has been looking forward to engaging in that sort of diplomacy for some time.”

“I would say the same of you,” Brusk grinned. “I am somewhat surprised to hear you describe Lady Silver in that way. Did you not tell me that your companion Ghost knew her before you? I would have thought, given your descriptions of the man, that he would have handled those… negotiations himself.”

“As would I,” Kaliel admitted, “I find myself unable to fathom his restraint in this case. Rinalta is a beautiful and intelligent woman.”

“Enough talk of bedroom diplomacy,” Brusk said. “How long will you be staying?”

“Not long,” Kaliel admitted. “I must go to meet my companions, who are even now headed East on a ship to Ayama’s village. Tomorrow I will look for passage on a riverboat heading south.”

“In that case,” Brusk said, draining his cup, “there are matters to attend to. We have people working on producing some proper spearheads as fast as possible, but the lack of armor is still a concern. I have an idea, but it will require some assistance from the queen. There are quite a few people in this city who make their living as woodsmen – if they were charged with hunting as many large animals as possible, we could render their hides into serviceable armor.”

“Of course. But why not import hides from Chrysanthemum? The beasts of the North have thicker flesh than Eastern animals.”

Brusk frowned. “I was not aware our own reserves were that vast, sir, considering the recent siege and plague.”

“Send word to have someone approach Blizzard Topples the Oak,” Kaliel said. “The spring hunts will begin soon. Ask him to lure a herd of mammoth or yeddim into the area. Should he prove reluctant, tell him he may negotiate with me upon my return.”

“I understand, sir. I will send the message immediately.”

“You’ll need my seal,” Kaliel said, beginning to rise, but Brusk held up a hand to stay him.

“Already covered, sir.” He picked up a seal from the nearby desk and held it up. “Things need to get done, and you tend to leave frequently,” he said.

“Brusk, I find myself… oddly unsurprised.”

۞​

The riverboat made landing at the small fishing village on the banks of the Meander River. As the crew began unloading supplies, five travelers walked down the gangplank, setting foot on solid ground.

“Thank the Unconquered Sun,” Ghost said, stretching. “I enjoyed the trip, but I look forward to solid earth under my feet again for a while.”

“We can stock up on supplies here,” Ayama said, “and make our way south. Petgrana is a week from the river.”

“Just please tell me it will not be so damned hot there,” Zanka complained. The Northerner, her pale skin glistening with sweat, had stripped herself down as much as she could without actually walking about in the nude. Her appearance had drawn many long looks from the sailors on the boat and the towns where they had stopped, and Ayama was certain that the crew had deliberately slowed their travel in order to prolong the time that the beautiful Eclipse would be on board. To be fair, both Lenn and Luc, also natives of the North, were uncomfortable in the Eastern climate, but neither drew quite the amount of attention that Zanka did.

Ghost and Ayama looked at each other. The late spring weather was temperate, at best. “We will see what we can do, Zanka,” Ayama said at last. “At the very least, the forest will be shaded, and breezes are common this time of year.”

“And perhaps we will hold off on planning a journey to Chiaroscuro,” Ghost joked. Zanka stuck out her tongue.

They set out into the forests the next morning, after being given a number of dire warnings against heading into the ‘Forbidden Forest’ and told how people went in and would never return. Ayama assured them that these warnings were typical, and for most would be worth heeding.

“Sunlight Pierces the Canopy is very protective of his territory,” the Zenith explained.

After a week of walking south into the forest, Ayama announced one day that they had crossed into the lands claimed by Sunlight Pierces the Canopy. Less than a half-hour later, a spot of dappled sunlight on the forest floor shimmered, and resolved itself into an elaborate mandala.

“So,” said a voice floating on the breeze, “my good and faithful servant has returned to take her rightful place at my side?”

“I have come back with guests,” Ayama said.

“More worshipers?” Sunlight Pierces the Canopy asked. They felt the spirit’s attention drift over all of them, and then settle on Zanka. “Or perhaps you bring me something more?”

“Whatever offer you wish to make, I am certain that Zanka can make those negotiations on her own behalf,” Ayama said. “For now, we merely wish to get to Petgrana.”

“It is probably good that you have brought friends,” Sunlight Pierces the Canopy said.

“What do you mean by that?” Ayama asked.

“You did not receive my message?” the spirit’s voice was perturbed. Ayama shook her head.

“You recall the barbarian tribes in the area? Those who have left us in peace for many years? It seems that recently they have had a change of heart. They have been quite persistent in trying to find your home – only the efforts of White Rocks Dancing have kept us ahead of their plans.”

“That is unfortunate,” Ayama said. She knew White Rocks Dancing was actually a collection of minor river spirits, whose course ran through several marble deposits further east before running close to Petgrana. The spirits had been good sources of information in the past, although the flow of communication was restricted to moving downstream.

“I will not impede your progress to Petgrana,” Sunlight Pierces the Canopy said. “Your son Rutendo can give you the details – and fill you in on other surprises as well.” A note of amusement crept into the spirit’s voice.

Behind the mandala, the undergrowth of the forest seemed to shift, revealing a clear path. Nodding, Ayama made her way past the spirit, followed by the others. Ghost was the last to pass by.

“Hello, Sunlight!” he said cheerfully. “Remember me?”

The mandala vanished, and there was a sudden rush of wind that kicked up leaves and dust as the spirit departed.

“He remembers.”

A few minutes later, as they walked along the path, an arrow suddenly sprouted from a tree trunk next to her head.

“Halt and identify yours… oh! Mistress Ayama!” Emerging from the forest nearby came about a half-dozen young men and women, wearing dark clothing patterned after the forest. Each held a bow and a quiver of arrows. None of them were adults, though most were only a year or two younger than Zanka.

“I’m sorry, Mistress!” the youth who had fired the arrow said. He knelt down in front of Ayama.

“I understand,” Ayama said, placing her hand on the boy’s head. “Sunlight Pierces the Canopy tells me you have every reason to be wary.” She looked at the group. “Do your parents know what you are doing?”

“Yes, Mistress,” the boy said. “This is where we were assigned to patrol. It’s not so bad here, because this is west of the town and they never come from this way, but still…”

“Of course.” Ayama removed her hand from the boy’s head and put it under his chin, lifting gently to prompt him to rise. She put her hand on his shoulder. “I will let you go about your task, then.”

“I will send two people to escort you to the town,” the boy said. Two of the younger children, a boy and girl, stepped forward and began walking along the trail ahead of the others.

They came upon Petgrana only a few minutes later, suddenly appearing in the midst of the thick forest. Ayama was surprised to see that the town was now surrounded by a wooden palisade wall. At a signal from their escorts, the gate opened, and they walked into the town of Petgrana. Rows of wooden longhouses were scattered all about the village, smoke rising from the chimneys of a few, and Ayama could see that two new longhouses had been built since she had left, and the communal lodge that served as Petgrana’s town hall and hospital bore the framework of a recently started expansion.

“I do not remember those from when I was here last,” Ghost said, looking up. Following his gaze, Ayama saw that several dwellings had been built in the trees above, connected by simple rope bridges.

“It is larger than I expected,” Zanka commented.

“Petgrana has never been small,” Ayama said. “It began as a logging encampment many years ago, before it was transformed into a community of healers.” She turned to the others. “We should go to the elder’s longhouse first. Then we can find my son.”

“Please tell me it is cooler in the elder’s longhouse,” Zanka said. Her platinum blonde hair hung in damp curls from her scalp.

Ayama frowned, and then turned to their young escorts. “Will one of you please take my friend to a place where she may sit quietly and cool off? She is from the North.”

“We will take her to the cold house,” the young girl said. Seeing Ayama’s questioning look, she added, “one of the shamans was able to trade for some ice-stones recently. We use them to keep our larder cool.”

Ayama nodded. “Luc, you may accompany Zanka. The rest of us will go to see the elders.”

They separated, and Ayama, Ghost, and Lenn all made their way to one of the longhouses near the center of town. The guards outside saw Ayama coming, and immediately stepped aside, nodding in deference to the Zenith as she passed inside.

The interior was sparsely furnished, with most of the floor space clear to accommodate meetings with the elders. Five chairs stood against the far wall, the traditional seats of the five elders of the town. Two things came to Ayama’s immediate attention as she walked in. The first was that her son, Rutendo, was sitting in the chair designated for the town’s war leader.

The second, and most surprising, was that he was surrounded by the blazing anima of a Fire-Aspected Exalt.

۞​

Kaliel sat near the fire, watching the flickering flames cast patterns of light and shadow across the ground. Once again, his gaze returned to the old man seated on the other side of that fire. The man balanced a bowl on his knees, half-filled with rice and roasted vegetables. Half of a pheasant sat on the rim, mostly untouched.

He had taken passage on a riverboat out of Lagan as planned, and had intended to head south until he reached the Yellow River, and then go on from there. But he had changed to a vessel heading for Sijan upon hearing rumors that Imperial ships had been seen in greater numbers on the River of Tears, and that they had even been boarding some vessels to conduct ‘inspections’. From Sijan he decided to travel over land to Great Forks, where he would resume his river journey.

Two days outside of Sijan, he encountered an old man traveling the same road. The man asked to accompany Kaliel, in order to benefit from the protection offered by the massive Northern warrior. In exchange, the man stated, he offered his own familiarity with the area, which would help them travel faster. Kaliel agreed, and they had ridden together for many leagues. The man had not given his name, and had not asked for one; this was the way of things among travelers, to avoid unneeded complications should the identity of one’s traveling companion prove a troublesome burden.

It had been a few days before a suspicion crossed Kaliel’s mind; he guessed that the man was a Dragon-Blood. He could see that the man was unusually healthy and lively for one of his advanced age, and there was a fluidity to his movements and speech that suggested an affinity with Water. Furthermore, and most concerning, were the small habits and turns of phrase which suggested the old man had Imperial upbringing. Kaliel had considered calling him out when he realized this, but had decided to wait – the man had been nothing but pleasant. Certainly, the man recognized the origin of his jade armor, but had not made comment or reacted poorly.

Finally, however, Kaliel had decided to broach the subject this night. “Grandfather,” he said respectfully, “I must admit that I am surprised that someone of your years has so successfully traveled these lands for so many years. What business causes you to make such journeys?”

The old man smiled. “Well, as you have been good company, and for the most part honest with me, I see no reason not to return the courtesy. And yes, I do know who you are, Kaliel, for it is my business to know such things.”

“That is no great surprise,” Kaliel said, “my reputation was made quite public in the East on the day of my Exaltation. I am correct, then, in my assumption that you are from the Empire.”

He smiled. “I am Cathak Selles, Magistrate of the Scarlet Empire.”

Kaliel nodded. “I have heard that things have become difficult for the Magistrates recently.”

“Let us just say that more of my fellow Magistrates have been ‘ambushed by brigands’ in the past five years than were killed in the previous five centuries. There is reason I chose to travel with you. But, we still have a job that needs to be done. People do not like magistrates, judges, watchmen, or any who keep order, but still we must do our job to keep Creation from falling into Chaos. When Chaos last invaded, it nearly did not end well for us. This is the history that all in the Empire are taught at an early age, as we do not want it to happen again.”

“Agreed,” said Kaliel, “though you might consider that there are others out there more suited to shouldering the burden of bringing order to Creation.”

“When you have been in the field as long as I,” Cathak Selles said, “you learn to keep your options open. I believe that even though you are… pardon the term, Anathema…”

“We prefer ‘Chosen of the Unconquered Sun’.”

“Even though you are Chosen,” Selles stated, “I think you recognize that the Realm itself is not necessarily an enemy. I hope that we can one day come to some arrangement on that matter that will prove beneficial to both sides.”

“Any such arrangement would have to begin with the return of that which belongs to me.”

Selles looked puzzled for a moment, then nodded. “Ah, yes. That is not an area in which I have much influence, especially in these times. But I can make some contacts within my House, and see what might be done about your situation with the V’Neef.”

“Just make certain that nothing you do brings them to harm,” Kaliel warned. “Creation is not large enough to hide you.”

The Cathak smiled. “I have not survived a hundred and fifty years on the road by being foolish.”

Kaliel returned the grin. “I hope we may have the chance to meet again one day,” he said.

“As do I. But tomorrow, we must part ways. We will reach the river, and I am meeting an Imperial transport to Greyfalls there. I assume you will choose another vessel.”

“A wise assumption,” Kaliel replied. Then he looked again at the bowl on Cathak Selles’ lap, and gestured at the pheasant. “Are you going to eat that?”

۞​

“I would make some comment on how much you have changed since I left,” Ayama said carefully to her son, “but that would not encompass the degree of my surprise.”

Rutendo smiled wistfully, even as his fiery anima faded and died down. “If it is any consolation, you are not the only one who was surprised.” He gestured at the last wisps of his aura. “You must excuse… this. I was in the midst of training exercises when I was told that visitors were coming to the elder’s longhouse. I was not informed who those visitors were.”

“I see.” Ayama forced herself to blink. “And you are well?”

“Yes, Mother.”

“And that is really what is most important,” she said. “We will speak more later.”

“I am glad you are here,” Rutendo said. “You have been told of our situation?”

“Sunlight Pierces the Canopy met us in the forest.”

“I suspect that Sunlight is more nervous than he allows himself to show. The barbarians have been very aggressive in their search, and have been clearing some areas of the forest. So far they have only touched the outer edges of his territory, but it is only a matter of time. Our scouts tell us that the tribes’ shamans have been urging their warriors to hasten the search, and we fear that before long they may resort to burning down the entire forest.”

Ayama shuddered. Such behavior was unthinkable among the tribes who lived in the forests, and the loss of life if the forest were set ablaze…

“Is this a raid?” Ghost asked. Rutendo shook his head.

“They have come with their women and children,” he said, “and they have gathered together in a large group; they number in the thousands. These are all tribes from further East, nearer the Elemental Pole; they have driven out the tribes that once lived in that area; many have come here and settled. I am certain you noticed their dwellings above us. Petgrana is now home to three times the number you knew when you left, Mother. They have added many capable warriors to our village, and helped to improve our defenses.”

Ayama looked around the room at the other four elders. Three were faces she recognized; they had been elders when she left. The fourth, however, was one of the chiefs of the barbarian tribes that had once lived outside Petgrana’s borders, a middle-aged man with skin the color of mahogany, and black hair that flowed unbound down his back and shoulders. It took her a moment to place his name; Chief Branch-Shaker.

“What do we know of their motives in seeking Petgrana so aggressively?” Ayama asked.

“Nothing, I fear. We have not been able to get close enough to their main encampment to learn much, and their language is different enough from the tongues spoken by the local tribes that we cannot get good intelligence. Chief Branch-Shaker says that the languages are close enough to conduct trade, but not exchange complex topics.”

“We would trade with them,” Chief Branch-Shaker said, in halting Forest-Tongue, “many seasons ago. They were not then how they are now.”

“The Wyld?” Ghost asked. He had mostly been standing in the back, trying to keep Lenn up to speed on the conversation. The newly-Exalted Lunar, born and raised in the North, did not understand a word of Forest-Tongue; Ghost was translating into Riverspeak for him.

“We have seen no sign of taint on those we have encountered,” Rutendo said, “and certainly no Fair Folk.”

Ayama turned to Chief Branch-Shaker. “When the new tribes came,” she asked, “did they come to you and ask you to leave, or did they just attack?”

“To talk is not our way,” he replied. “The strong must conquer the weak so that the strong may live.”

“I see. In that case, I will see what I can do to help. But first, I should present my companions to you. I expect that you will remember Resplendent Ghost of Midnight.”

Ghost smiled and bowed with a flourish.

“Next to him is Lenn, who has come with us from Cherak in the North seeking answers about himself. In the cold house is another from the North; Zanka Odokari, my companion. Luc, my adopted nephew, remains with her.”

Rutendo raised a brow. “Nephew?”

She smiled slightly at she looked at her son. “Have you given me grandchildren yet, Rutendo? If the answer is no, then I may adopt who I wish.” The exchange had the sound of old, familiar territory for both of them.

Chief Branch-Shaker was looking over Lenn. “What answers does this one seek?”

“He has been Chosen, as I have,” Ayama said. “But not by the Sun. He is a Chosen of Luna. He has come here because…” she searched for a moment to explain the concept, “because he has been bestowed with the totem of the mongoose, an animal with is unknown in his homeland, but is common here. I felt that he might be able to discover more of his essential being here.”

Chief Branch-Shaker nodded. “We will bring him before our shamans, and teach him of our ways.” When Lenn was informed of this, he seemed somewhat disheartened that he was to be turned over to barbarians, but understood he was likely to learn more about his Lunar heritage through them than he was from Petgrana’s healers and midwives.

“Are your other companions also Chosen?” the chief asked.

“Both Ghost and Zanka are Chosen of the Sun, like myself,” Ayama said. “Luc is not, but may have useful skills.”

“And this Zanka, why does she stay in the cold house?” asked one of the other elders, a frail woman named Rumeena.

“She is from the North, and has not accustomed herself to our climate.”

Chief Branch-Shaker spoke. “I will ask our shamans to summon the spirits of the earth, to create a dwelling amongst the roots of the trees. This will be cooler than the homes that rest upon the ground or in the trees.”

“I thank you,” Ayama said bowing.

“Anything to accommodate the Chosen Ones,” the chief replied.

“I am certain that many of the young men of the village will gladly volunteer to douse Zanka in water regularly,” Ghost said.

“She is beautiful, then?” the chief asked with a smile.

“An extraordinary beauty, and exotic as well,” Ayama said. “Please be aware that the people of the North do not typically grow as tall as those of the East; though she may have what appears to be the stature of a child, she is an adult, and should be treated as such.”

“We have kept your dwelling as you left it,” Rumeena said. “Though it may require some attention. We will send some of the village girls to assist you. We will also show your companions to where they may stay.”

“Thank you,” Ayama said. “Rutendo, I expect I will see you later?”

“I know how long to wait, Mother,” he said to her. She turned and left the longhouse.

“Ghost,” Lenn said, “shouldn’t we stay with her?” But Ghost shook his head vehemently.

“I was here before, and saw what kind of cleaning she did just getting ready to leave,” he told Lenn. “Trust me; we want to be nowhere near that house for a while.”

Remove ads