• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Exalted Deeds/Vile Darkness - Broken?

I own and have used both BoVD and BoED as a DM and a character. Neither of them are outright horrible but neither of them are incredibly awesome. With any D&D source book a little common sense will go a long way in getting the most out of a book. And, most importantly, talk with your DM before using things from those source books.

For BoVD, if you're going it I would highly recommend checking out The Leaflets of Triel. It helps update some of the material from 3.0 to 3.5 and discusses a few of the more glaring issues with it.

For BoED, buy in from your DM/Group is very important. Ravages are just a silly idea. Vow of Poverty is double edged sword. Depending on the campaign/setting/level/class it can be okay, incredibly powerful, or a good way to shoot yourself in the foot. Vow of Peace and Apostle of Peace are things that the entire group needs to buy in on. Don't show up to the table with a Vow of Peace character and just expect the chaotic neutral raging barbarian to be happy to adventure with you.

Would I buy them again? Yea. I feel like I've gotten my money's worth out of the books.

Remove ads