• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

TSR Example from the worst TSR adventure module(s) ever published

A

amerigoV

I happened to look through the Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh last night (a "top 30 ever" module). The PCs are investigating a "haunted house" and find some guy tied up in a bedroom. Its not in the box text, but the module says (paraphrasing) "he is a level 3 assassin, but if asked will introduce himself as a level 2 thief... players can see through this ruse because he does not know Thieves Cant."

"Hi, I'm Bob, a 2nd level thief!"

tylerthehobo

Explorer
I happened to look through the Sinister Secrets of Saltmarsh last night (a "top 30 ever" module). The PCs are investigating a "haunted house" and find some guy tied up in a bedroom. Its not in the box text, but the module says (paraphrasing) "he is a level 3 assassin, but if asked will introduce himself as a level 2 thief... players can see through this ruse because he does not know Thieves Cant."

Well, that was the genius of OAD&D - many classes had their own secret handshakes, so to speak, like everyone was a lodge member. I seem to recall that in the DMG there was something the Great Gygax said to the effect of, "But, really, folks, it's not like just because you happen to both be thieves that you can have a full conversation in great detail with just the secret passphrases of your class..." I remember many a broken game from the early 80s where the PCs traveled the globe not knowing anything but their class tongues.

But, yeah, especially when adding in the Level names, it became a bit like traveling in some Discworld-esque bureaucracy.

Those were great times.

Momeeche

First Post

I thought it was like the scene in Jay and Bob Strike Back, where the drug dealers meet, show each other their union cards and bitch about the job and talk about going on strike. So the thieves show each other there thieves guild union cards and talk shop.

tvknight415

Explorer
Well, that or a succubus.

no no no!!!! I thought the succubus was reserved for every bar maid, serving girl, or lady of the night in an adventure...

... especially when certain PC's insist on turning the afternoon bar scene that is just supposed to get them started on the adventure into a multi-night stay in a whorehouse.

Ulrick

First Post
Did any module, after the Fiend Folio came out, had the players encounter the Flumph?

Here's a better question: would the author of said module admit using the flumph in a published format? :p

Did any module, after the Fiend Folio came out, had the players encounter the Flumph?

Here's a better question: would the author of said module admit using the flumph in a published format? :p

they were in the goofy 'Castle Greyhawk' one, where they were the main food for all the critters on the 'Island of unwanted monsters', or something like that...

Ulrick

First Post
After the PCs bed down for the night next to the cliff near the Wild River, read the following boxed text out loud.

You see something floating in the woods toward you. You know its not a flumph, a balloon, or a witch on a broomstick. Its seems to meander toward you, perhaps looking at you with curious eyes and a big smile on its face.

Don't tell the PCs that its a Beholder, a Gas Spore, or a Spectator. Let them figure it out for themselves. There's nothing of value near or around the PCs campsite except for their own belongings.

Beholder (EYE TYRANT): AC 0/2/7; MV 3"; HD 45-75; hp 45-75 each; % in Lair 80%; #AT 1; Dmg 2d4 (bite); SA Magic; SD Anti-magic Ray; AL Lawful Evil.

There's a 50% chance that the Eye Tyrant will attack immediately. Otherwise it might demand a ransom. Roll 1d6

1. 1000 gold pieces in gems or coins
2. The potion from the Druids.
3. Food
4. One ring or wand
5. A holy symbol
6. A spellbook or attack immediately.

The DM should only use this encounter for higher level characters going through this module. The Druids can warn the PCs of the monster if the PCs ask about the Eye Tyrant. But the Druids will say nothing if the PCs don't ask. Don't tell the PCs to ask.

Thread Necromancy! Bad modules never die!

Remove ads