• The VOIDRUNNER'S CODEX is coming! Explore new worlds, fight oppressive empires, fend off fearsome aliens, and wield deadly psionics with this comprehensive boxed set expansion for 5E and A5E!

Excerpt: Minions. Go forth mine minions! Bring havoc with your 1 hp [merged]

jeffhartsell

First Post
A vampire spawn that is not a mook (has regen) is most likely not going to end up as a minion.

Anyway, I am all for the minion RULES! I've been loving the encounter design for 4e. Those orcs were amazing. And these devils are cool minions. Simply, yet effective.

Andor

First Post
keterys said:
Seems pretty decent. The higher level ones do slightly less damage than I expected.

It's interesting that it's always Level + 5 attack, Level + 16 AC, Level + 12 Fort, Level +11 Reflex/Will, but we still get different stat blocks for each.

It's also cool that we do get a full range of levels for them to be over. And I'm glad that the legion devil legionaires can stand next to a pit fiend without dying, at least conceptually :)

It's that formulaic? Why didn't they just give one example and list the mods with maybe a little chart to say when the fire resist goes up? It would save a lot of space, and not be an implied insult to the intelligence of DMs everywhere...

Interestingly however this specific minion example does not tell us if there is a minion template, since it implies that all Legion Devils are minions, thus making them the Cobra troopers from hell. So the Mammoth minion is still speculative.

Xyl

First Post
The legion devil stats make it really easy to interpolate a level-appropriate minion for whatever level you want. I like.

jeffhartsell

First Post
Rechan said:
I'd rule that a daily power kills a minion, miss or no.

That is a tough call. But fair. Maybe depends on the type of daily. A wiff with a fireball daily would be overkill to smoke all of the minions that were missed. But a single target daily that did damage on a miss makes sense.

AllisterH

First Post
I disagree on allowing a Daily to smoke a minion even on a miss.

Minions are one of the reasons (along with the bloodied threshold) I as a DM can use to ensure that players open with their at-wills and use those until they feel they need to use their big guns.

Rechan

Adventurer
jeffhartsell said:
That is a tough call. But fair. Maybe depends on the type of daily. A wiff with a fireball daily would be overkill to smoke all of the minions that were missed. But a single target daily that did damage on a miss makes sense.
Hmm.

It may depend on the situation. If a mage fires a fireball into a crowd, then I think it depends on how many he misses. If some non-minions get hit, the missed minions live. If he hits over half, then I say the misses stand up. If he just utterly borks the rolls though...

This is in the realm of 'fudging', to me. :) But single-hit dailies, aye.

Remove ads